Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How rare are Model S' without the Tech Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently bought a very low mileage used S60 without it for under $50k. I was on the original waiting list for the S40 and wasn't considering the pkg then. The only thing that would be nice but isn't essential is driver profiles. My S has an even rarer config. 8 way textile seats. I would wager they only had < 250 cars with them till they switched to all 12 way in ~May 2013.

Does that nav button on the screen confirm this Model S has the tech package? I am looking at a car and the dealer hasn't done a good job listing the options. Is there a way to tell if it has supercharging enabled too?

pic.jpg

Does that nav button on the screen confirm this Model S has the tech package? I am looking at a car and the dealer hasn't done a good job listing the options. Is there a way to tell if it has supercharging enabled too?
Look at the front of the car, the Tech package will have chrome louvers below the headlights (This was true for early cars, I don't know if it changed over time). The other clue is to set a destination. If the Navigon screen comes up on the instrument panel, it has the Tech package. I'm assuming this is an S60, as all 85 variations will have SC enabled. Other than driving to a nearby SC during the test drive, I don't think there is any way to tell (unless Tesla will give you that info).

No way to know for a 60 without asking Tesla or plugging into one. You mention it's being sold by a dealer. If so you're missing out on one of the best things about buying a Tesla, which is no dealers! If you want a used Tesla I'd strongly recommend you look at a Tesla certified pre owned rather than buying one from a used car dealer.

If that's the screen then it has the tech package. Homelink option proves it and the driver profiles an nav vs maps back it up.

Minor correction, I have a non-tech car with driver profiles. It was part of the leather seat upgrade at the time I ordered. Otherwise, you're correct. Homelink and "Nav" instead of "Maps" should prove tech package. Another way to check (in addition to the extra chrome features mentioned above) would be the power rear lift gate. That was a tech package from the beginning up until it became part of the "Premium Interior" package somewhat recently.

Do all 2013 and later have supercharger access?
Year doesn't matter. All 70's, 85's, and 90's are supercharger enabled by default. All 60's are disabled by default (unless the owner paid for supercharger access, at order or later). No 40's have supercharging, nor can it be enabled (without first paying to unlock the full battery, turning the 40 into a 60).

Enabling supercharging also enables Chademo. 40's can have Chademo enabled without do the 40->60, add supercharging process.

Year doesn't matter. All 70's, 85's, and 90's are supercharger enabled by default. All 60's are disabled by default (unless the owner paid for supercharger access, at order or later). No 40's have supercharging, nor can it be enabled (without first paying to unlock the full battery, turning the 40 into a 60).

Enabling supercharging also enables Chademo. 40's can have Chademo enabled without do the 40->60, add supercharging process.
So, if I buy a 60 from Tesla and its not listed in the options then I assume I need to add it? It's 2k?