Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Secure Are Teslas/Tesla Thefts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pin 2 Drive is the nearest I've come to being Jason Statham in The Transporter

b84k6f.gif

My day-job is software. We take a lot of trouble over security ... BUT!
I feel your pain... "the secure password paradox" - when a password is so secure that you can't remember it, so you write it down and thus make it less secure...

So I do see the desire to use something easily memorable. I have set it now anyway... still waiting to move on from 4.29.0 on 'droid though 😭

In a proper security system you would have both an access key and a duress key, if you are forced to tell the duress key it will lock out mechanism for a long period. Movies never get this right when torturing the secret agents to get the code, same with trying to get locations out of people, I know lots of different places where the 'knock list' definitely isn't but will take a long time to check. Bombs also generally all use the same colour wires.

Perhaps not an appropriate amount of personal risk for an insured car though.

There's a lot of great 4 digit numbers. 1066, 1492, 1665, 1812, 1418, 1939, 4711, 2512, 2001 etc I used to reset the alarm code whenever an employee left and tried to make it easy to remember the new one. Every other or every third digit of a phone number, or an old house number XY(X+!)(Y+1) f'r instance if making it more complicated.

There's a lot of great 4 digit numbers. 1066, 1492, 1665, 1812, 1418, 1939, 4711, 2512, 2001 etc I used to reset the alarm code whenever an employee left and tried to make it easy to remember the new one. Every other or every third digit of a phone number, or an old house number XY(X+!)(Y+1) f'r instance if making it more complicated.
I tend to remember the pattern more than the number to be honest. I suspect if the numbers were set out differently I wouldn't notice at first.

Reactions: Oxid8ter

Multiple vehicles and car number plates got me... can't remember them any more...

So I was smart, and bought three DVLA Private Number Plates, all separated by one digit. So I can easily remember them.

Problem is now, by the time I've got to the Car Park Interrogation Machine, I've forgotten which car I'm driving...

... but at least the number plate will be 'near-enough'

Last edited:
when a password is so secure that you can't remember it, so you write it down and thus make it less secure...

We encourage that for our home workers ... less chance of a break-in than what might happen if they have a weak password.

There's a lot of great 4 digit numbers

We use the phone number (last 4 digits) of a house we haven't lived in for 30 years - back from the days when you used to answer your phone with its number, so its ingrained in my brain. Whereas if you want my current mobile phone number ... I'll have to look it up!

• Funny
Reactions: Oxid8ter
I feel your pain... "the secure password paradox" - when a password is so secure that you can't remember it, so you write it down and thus make it less secure...

So I do see the desire to use something easily memorable. I have set it now anyway... still waiting to move on from 4.29.0 on 'droid though 😭
Android jumped from 4.29.0 to 4.29.5 this evening. Still no mention of Motion data access or anything, maybe it's only been implemented for iOS at the minute 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: randompixel
That's interesting because at no point has the app itself asked me to allow that, nor does it have Physical Activity permissions (that may be something else) but it's definitely there under other permissions in the play store like you say. 🤔

Android has been around a very long time now. It has lots of history it has to deal with, without breaking things. If every permission could be individually declined, many apps would not even launch.

Therefore not all permissions require user approval, they are implied by you installing the app.

Overtime permissions have become more granular, so you can see the details now, but it was still always allowed.

I think Android app actually got this feature before iOS, it's been in the last few updates.

Spotted an interesting Freedom of Info request to DVLA about stolen EVs with model-specific breakdown for Tesla:

KIA: 290
HYUNDAI: 187
NISSAN: 91
BMW: 38
MG: 35
AUDI: 32
TESLA: 29

Kia Niro: 199
Hyundai Ioniq 5: 96
Kia EV6: 91
Nissan Leaf: 88
Jaguar I-PACE: 45
Tesla Model Y: 11
Tesla Model 3: 10
Tesla Model S: 7
Tesla Model X: 1

Kia Niro: 36

Amusing given undercover Kia Niro EV police car illuminating its flashing blue LEDs behind during my drive in.

Last edited:
Reactions: GRiLLA
Spotted an interesting Freedom of Info request to DVLA about stolen EVs with model-specific breakdown for Tesla:

Amusing given undercover Kia Niro EV police car illuminating its flashing blue LEDs behind during my drive in.
Weird article, clearly no one checked it even made sense before publishing

"Despite the Tesla Model Y and Tesla Model 3 being the top two best-selling electric vehicles in the UK last year, it Tesla ranked only eighth overall, trailing behind competitors such as BMW, Audi, and MG."

Words don't make sense, and surely having fewer vehicles sold is leading not trailing.

Reactions: Obie and Pink Duck
Weird article, clearly no one checked it even made sense before publishing

"Despite the Tesla Model Y and Tesla Model 3 being the top two best-selling electric vehicles in the UK last year, it Tesla ranked only eighth overall, trailing behind competitors such as BMW, Audi, and MG."

Words don't make sense, and surely having fewer vehicles sold is leading not trailing.
I think you are missing the point.
model wise - tesla is top with model 3 and Y
but as manufacturer, overall sales numbers would show that others sold more all models cumulatively than Tesla all models

It would be most significant for those numbers to be linked to the total numbers of cars on the road for each model... I would expect that would make the difference between Tesla and other models even greater.

Reactions: SO16 and MD70