Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Secure Are Teslas/Tesla Thefts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
didn't read the whole thread but on MCU1 u can root it thru Fakra cable hiding under MCU, no need to mess with harness n such, just pop the tray out.
with root, u can remove P2D/glovebox n program new key without the presence of another key
how i know? cause my car was rooted (ironically by a person from UK) remotely n pins removed, among other cool things.
its a good n bad. i like having vulnerabilities so i can have full control of my car but then u also get theft...

Reactions: boombap and init6

Pin to drive also can prevent thefts.
Here in the UK, whatever tracking ability our Tesla may have is not recognised by our insurance companies. It would have to be endorsed by Thatcham. The insurance underwriters are also deaf to the pin to drive feature.
Tesla are entering the age of subscription services for software value adds. It they were to offer a fast response tracking service accessed by a dedicated access number, I would pay. This could be easier to achieve and perhaps more useful than FSD.( contentious🤭).
Of course, I could just subscibe to a Thatcham approved service.

Here in the UK, whatever tracking ability our Tesla may have is not recognised by our insurance companies. It would have to be endorsed by Thatcham. The insurance underwriters are also deaf to the pin to drive feature.
Tesla are entering the age of subscription services for software value adds. It they were to offer a fast response tracking service accessed by a dedicated access number, I would pay. This could be easier to achieve and perhaps more useful than FSD.( contentious🤭).
Of course, I could just subscibe to a Thatcham approved service.
I don’t know about UK.

I use Pin to drive just because I don’t want someone to steal my car (regardless of insurance). My insurance provider doesn’t care if I have it either.

LV projected 2023 to be 28% higher for car thefts than 2022.

From Sept 2021–2023 they found Lexus at top, rising by 513%, Toyota up 103%, Hyundai up 81% and Kia up 76%

Hyundai’s most stolen model the Tucson (45% of respective manufacturer thefts), Kia’s Sportage (45%). Lexus’s RX at 54% share and their NX at 21%

Toyota’s RAV4 making up 47% of their theft claims. Petrol forecourt thefts also increased 77%

DVLA revealed that 43 Ferraris and 51 Porsche 911s were stolen last year, along with 14 Lamborghinis and 29 Teslas.

The latest trend appears to be CAN injection attack via front bumper headlights. 40% theft recovery rate overall.

Last edited: