Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How stiff is the Performance Model ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20s on winter here. Car feels less stiffly sprung than my m-sport on 18" and 19" wheels (40 series down to 30 series profile).

Road quality is good here, so no worries about comfort....just the odd pothole and chances of damage.

And especially long distance trip when traveling elsewhere

Not very. Hope that helps. Not as much as a European normal shi1box cheapo saloon (tuned for the ring! Yay! uh why..?) but certainly a lot more stiff than the usual US bloated heavy barges. It bangs a bit over sharp edged stuff, so the damping is clearly very, very cheap. I recommend aftermarket coilovers (on their way..)

There is greater suspension compliance (translating to more a comfortable ride) than a typical comparable sporty BMW, but the cornering is flatter because of the concentration of mass low in the chassis due to the battery pack.

As for the 20's, you are less likely to incur wheel damage due to that increased compliance than a comparable stiffly sprung car like the BMW. That doesn't mean you don't need to consider your local roads, or be alert for road irregularities however. The plus side of the 20's is less sidewall squirm in hard cornering, leading to a more direct feel. HTH,

Ian

Reactions: 67King
But less sidewall is not necessary for performance. It is mainly for looks preference. Look ad pictures of Nascar or F1. They have lots of sidewall.
Read this forum and lots of people have ruined tires/wheels due to low sidewall. I measured mine and I think there was about 13/4" from the edge of the wheel to the concrete. I wouldn't want to drive that on the track.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ryephile
I really want to get the Performance Model, but my biggest concern is the 20" wheels.

#1 - Will the ride be too stiff? (coming from a BMW 3 series)
#2 - Will the wheels break/tires pop the first time i hit a pothole ? There are many where i live.

Thanks in advance.
Will you wheels or tires break the 1st time you hit a pothole? Not sure this was phrased correctly. nobody can predic
I really want to get the Performance Model, but my biggest concern is the 20" wheels.

#2 - Will the wheels break/tires pop the first time i hit a pothole ? There are many where i live.

Thanks in advance.

Everyone has different opinions of a "stiff" car. Go drive them and see. A stealth performance doesnt have the lowered suspension and 18/19 wheels if you are really concerned.

Thanks in advance.

20” won’t break/pop on the first pothole but they will on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, ... ;)

It’s as stiff as a wet noodle

Fighting it's way out of a Wing-Fat takeout bag, on a Chinatown Saturday night, in December, in the snow, with Christmas carolers blocking the damn sidewalk, and cousin Jimmy's drunk again, if he falls in the street this time aunt Jody's gonna have your ass, and where'd that dog come from, watch it, it's the cops over by Hop-Knee's, looking for trouble as usual, soggy on toast ain't the half of it, but that don't stop the tourist from........

• Funny
Reactions: SaloonGoon
There is greater suspension compliance (translating to more a comfortable ride) than a typical comparable sporty BMW, but the cornering is flatter because of the concentration of mass low in the chassis due to the battery pack

This. Softer than my M-Sport 535i was, but corners flatter. I sold my OEM 20's before I even took delivery of the car, and put 19's on it, pretty much breaking even.

My previous car was a 2018 Audi S5 Sportback, so that's my basis for comparing. I like my 2020 Model 3 Performance on the 20 in rims MUCH better than the Audi in terms of the ride characteristics. So far, I have not once felt that the M3 was uncomfortable. Firm? Yes. Controlled? Yes. Does it handle bumps, expansion joints and potholes well? YES :-D

Maybe go for a nice long test drive in the car you are considering? This is a very subjective topic :)

That's a curious statement. What's necessary for performance then? What kind of performance?

The wheel material is stiffer than the tire, so therefore more tire material (higher sidewalls) leads to more flex and greater slip angle while cornering. There's no escaping this fact.

Ian

What if the extra sidewall allows the tire to stay square on the pavement when the car above it tilts in a turn? A shorter stiffer sidewall may be more responsive to small steering wheel inputs but at the limit it hampers the tread from staying in contact with the earth.
The wheel material is more dense than tire material so mostly any wheel/tire combination where the wheel is smaller and the tire has more sidewall is lighter. Lighter with same hp = more performance.

What if the extra sidewall allows the tire to stay square on the pavement when the car above it tilts in a turn? A shorter stiffer sidewall may be more responsive to small steering wheel inputs but at the limit it hampers the tread from staying in contact with the earth.

I really have no idea what you're trying to say here, but I'm seeing limited value in pursuing the matter. Whatever floats your boat,

Ian