Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How strong does the WI-FI signal need to be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's actually more important is what is you LTE Signal?

When the car sleeps it shuts WIFI OFF !!

It gets a message to wake up and upgrade over LTE First, Then it uses WIFI to download.

I'm not sure if the new notice of pending software update is that you have an update, or is just the flagged to receive an update. I believe it's just a flag because you must then get on WIFI to get the update.

So if you're not getting flagged for an update, look at LTE strength and worry about WIFI later.

That said, I find 5.0 Ghz seems to work much better than 2.4 Ghz. Even though 2.4Ghz is plenty of band width and much stronger signal, it's much happier on 5.0 Ghz. The Car is parked like 20 feet from my router.
==============

Okay I just went out to the car and tried the speedtest from my ISP. For some reason it couldn't load speedtest.com.

But my ISP speed is showing 13 ms ping / 55 ms jitter ( whatever that is ) / 68.2 Mbps download / and 33.0 Mbps download.

I'm on Cox.s Gigablast service.

Got excellent download speeds so obviously Tesla just is not sending me any updates.
Guess I should pout and throw a tantrum but my car runs fine except for a new glitch where my screen stays black until I put my card on the console. Got power to everything but the screen stays black. Oh well I know how to wake it up so no big problem.

Thanks to all for helping. Especially for the suggestion to try the internet from the car and see what download speeds I'm getting.

==============

Okay I just went out to the car and tried the speedtest from my ISP. For some reason it couldn't load speedtest.com.

But my ISP speed is showing 13 ms ping / 55 ms jitter ( whatever that is ) / 68.2 Mbps download / and 33.0 Mbps download.

I'm on Cox.s Gigablast service.

Got excellent download speeds so obviously Tesla just is not sending me any updates.
Guess I should pout and throw a tantrum but my car runs fine except for a new glitch where my screen stays black until I put my card on the console. Got power to everything but the screen stays black. Oh well I know how to wake it up so no big problem.

Thanks to all for helping. Especially for the suggestion to try the internet from the car and see what download speeds I'm getting.

What your phone is showing for speed test is pretty much useless.

The WIFI Antenna on the Model 3 is known to be quirky.

But like I said you MUST have good LTE to get the notice for an update !!
Often you get that while driving around. But I think you need it while the car is sleeping as well, in order for it to wake up, fire up WIFI and then update.

Does you car show an Update is Pending?

Occasionally some cars need a hard push. Supposedly you can request an update through the App (i.e. Service Call) or drop by service center. After that it might be ok.

Also assume you've done the reboot (with brake pedal), which sometimes helps.

What your phone is showing for speed test is pretty much useless.

The WIFI Antenna on the Model 3 is known to be quirky.

But like I said you MUST have good LTE to get the notice for an update !!
Often you get that while driving around. But I think you need it while the car is sleeping as well, in order for it to wake up, fire up WIFI and then update.

Does you car show an Update is Pending?

Occasionally some cars need a hard push. Supposedly you can request an update through the App (i.e. Service Call) or drop by service center. After that it might be ok.

Also assume you've done the reboot (with brake pedal), which sometimes helps.
=============
Haven't tested LTE just WI-FI. Screen does not show an update pending. I wish it did.
The morning there was a notification on the Tesla icon on my phone but nothing was there.
Nothing showing in the car either. Used to be an orange circle at the top of the screen when there was an update.

I know the app on the phone isn't scientifically reliable. But it does get a general and relative indication.

Anyway, I've pretty much determined that my WI-FI is fine and apparently Tesla just isn't sending me updates.

One of these days I'll drive down to the SC and see about it but as long as the car works that's the main thing.