Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to add FAST wireless charging.

dvaz

Oct 11, 2019
CA
So as the title says - I know there are plenty of wireless pads for the TM3, but these are the slow type that will still drain the phone while having the screen on / gps ( Waze ). I have a fast wireless charger dock in my old car and it was works great.

I have seen people mention they can use a pass-thru powerback to power the wireless quick charger.
Have anyone done that, and if so what combo ( powerback + chargeing pad ) are you using?

Reactions: preilly44

Nocturnal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2018
Deepening Crisis!
I use a Nomad and it charges far faster than I can use the phone's battery. Even running video/audio I'm still able to go from a low battery to full charge during a relatively short drive.

3peat

Sep 12, 2019
San Diego, CA
The Nomad does not have a battery anymore. Not for a long while now.
I pre-ordered mine but I have no idea if it does or doesn't have the battery. It was one of the reasons I went with the Nomad. How can I tell if it has the battery? Once I get mine back from the SC I guess I can try unplugging it and seeing if it still charges?

WilliamG

Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
I pre-ordered mine but I have no idea if it does or doesn't have the battery. It was one of the reasons I went with the Nomad. How can I tell if it has the battery? Once I get mine back from the SC I guess I can try unplugging it and seeing if it still charges?

That would work, I imagine. Also you can probably easily tell since the original one was quite bulky due to the battery, no?

3peat

Sep 12, 2019
San Diego, CA
That would work, I imagine. Also you can probably easily tell since the original one was quite bulky due to the battery, no?

It's not noticeably heavy or bulky but then again I don't have anything to compare it to. I've never seen or held any of the other options in real life.

DopeGhoti

Aug 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
I have the Jeda with a Pixel 3 (regular size) and if Im streaming with the screen on its draining.
Fascinating. I just left work with about an 85% charge on the battery, and with the screen on and streaming audio via bluetooth, it was a shade under 95% when I got home; a 20 mile commute.

dvaz

Oct 11, 2019
CA
Just an update:

I ordered the TapTes model I linked above and used a QC 2.0 / 3.0 Battery pack to power ($25 buxs) it instead of the car USB - which is connected to charge the powerpack, aka "Passthru" mode.

It showed Fast Wireless Charging on my S9!

Success. No need to route the 12v power over.

zhu-

custom title
Oct 24, 2018
NJ
How long would those battery packs last before they degrade? They probably get very hot in the summer.

preilly44

Nov 1, 2014
Bethesda, MD, United States
I like the idea of using these batteries for quick charging, but is anybody afraid of them getting extremely hot in a hot car over the summer? I could see a battery exploding then the media blaming it on a bad Tesla battery starting a fire.

Reactions: zhu-

RB88

Mar 18, 2019
Seattle, WA
Just an update:

I ordered the TapTes model I linked above and used a QC 2.0 / 3.0 Battery pack to power ($25 buxs) it instead of the car USB - which is connected to charge the powerpack, aka "Passthru" mode.

It showed Fast Wireless Charging on my S9!

Success. No need to route the 12v power over.
Which battery pack?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC