Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to buy specific parts from a tesla service center? Need a VIN?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure where exactly to ask this, or who would know but...

i'm trying to get my hands on tesla part number 1027582-00-A , it's a special adapter which mounts to a european tow bar design made by Westfalia, but presents the square 2" tube standard for american trailers and such.

BSL043964_8_1000.jpg

It's to allow me to use a european standard tow bar mount on my old BMW, it bolts to the bumper supports which makes it REALLY strong.

i called a tesla service center and they confirmed it's a $112 part, which is spendy but not all that bad to be honest......HOWEVER they said they cannot sell parts unless it's tied to a tesla vin...and i don't own a tesla so that basically stumped me.

Is there some way to buy parts from them? do you just give them any old tesla vin? do you need to provide proof of ownership of that vin through like registration? Do they examine the VIN in their system to make sure the person buying the part is the owner? How does this work?

and yes i did also post this on the tesla motors subreddit

Not sure where exactly to ask this, or who would know but...

i'm trying to get my hands on tesla part number 1027582-00-A , it's a special adapter which mounts to a european tow bar design made by Westfalia, but presents the square 2" tube standard for american trailers and such.

BSL043964_8_1000.jpg

It's to allow me to use a european standard tow bar mount on my old BMW, it bolts to the bumper supports which makes it REALLY strong.

i called a tesla service center and they confirmed it's a $112 part, which is spendy but not all that bad to be honest......HOWEVER they said they cannot sell parts unless it's tied to a tesla vin...and i don't own a tesla so that basically stumped me.

Is there some way to buy parts from them? do you just give them any old tesla vin? do you need to provide proof of ownership of that vin through like registration? Do they examine the VIN in their system to make sure the person buying the part is the owner? How does this work?

and yes i did also post this on the tesla motors subreddit

When I bought the HEPA filter for BWD mode for my MS, they just asked for the VIN and didn't require any other supporting information. Matter of fact, they never actually mentioned that it was needed at all(I assumed they just asked to know which SC is my typical one and to get my contact info), so I'm a bit surprised to learn it's needed at all.