Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to change gateway to never export?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was trying to ask if you know that the PW+ currently _can_ curtail the PV Inverter, or was just observing that the feature is feasible?

Although I guess with the "run before PTO" option Tesla is promoting, it has to be running in non-export mode, so it must be able to curtail the PV inverter. That would mean only the PW+ installations offer the "run before PTO" option, is that correct?

Cheers, Wayne
My recent installation consists of GW2, PW+ and PW2, so the GW2 is in control of the inverter part of the PW+ through the CAN bus. I don't have PTO yet, so the system is running in Self Consumption mode. When the batteries are full I do observe the solar inverter adjusting its output to match the load. The adjustment is not perfectly instantaneous, so there are little bits of power going to and from the grid.

Reactions: wwhitney
So, if the power goes down, the gateway knows to never try to send power back to the grid. If the batteries are full, it shuts down the inverter.

So, can we get the fw changed in the gateway so it NEVER can feed back power to the grid. Then we can go back and tell PGE we have no solar capable to send to grid
so no 8 bucks per month per kw charge?

In your case, your solar export is specifically controlled by your SE inverters, not by the gateway. If you don't have an SE RGM attached to your system then you can disregard the below information.

I'm assuming you have an SE RGM (revenue grade meter) attached to you SE inverters which allows you to change export limitation. You need to go into your lead SE inverter, via setapp and change the export control to 100 watts vice 0. This is to ensure your inverter will still produce when the power goes out during the day. If it's set to 0 export, in the event of a power outage, both of your inverters will shutdown and solely discharge from the PW's, no matter the SOC (state of charge) of your PW's. If you're willing to live with that, then you can set the export 0 and you will never export excess solar.

I have linked setapp pdf's below. Once you're logged in via setapp, you basically need to go to Power Control => Energy Manager => Limit Control => Control Mode => Export Control and set it to your desired export limitation.

Last edited:
BUT this does not solve the issue that PGE has my with 30K PTO. This is what I would have to consider getting rid of, has nothing to do with the grid connection
PG&E technically does not have an issue with your system size. You are making it an issue when in reality you have 14 years before it is an additional expense to you. By then many of us will have figured out how to cancel our PTO, or find another workaround. Given the mortality tables and my age I try not to worry about things that are beyond my likely life span. Too much worrying can be stressful.

In your case, your solar export is specifically controlled by your SE inverters, not by the gateway. If you don't have an SE RGM attached to your system then you can disregard the below information.

I'm assuming you have an SE RGM (revenue grade meter) attached to you SE inverters which allows you to change export limitation. You need to go into your lead SE inverter, via setapp and change the export control to 100 watts vice 0. This is to ensure your inverter will still produce when the power goes out during the day. If it's set to 0 export, in the event of a power outage, both of your inverters will shutdown and solely discharge from the PW's, no matter the SOC (state of charge) of your PW's. If you're willing to live with that, then you can set the export 0 and you will never export excess solar.

I have linked setapp pdf's below. Once you're logged in via setapp, you basically need to go to Power Control => Energy Manager => Limit Control => Control Mode => Export Control and set it to your desired export limitation.

I believe one inverter or my two, has some stuff in it, but never connected.

PG&E technically does not have an issue with your system size. You are making it an issue when in reality you have 14 years before it is an additional expense to you. By then many of us will have figured out how to cancel our PTO, or find another workaround. Given the mortality tables and my age I try not to worry about things that are beyond my likely life span. Too much worrying can be stressful.
And you really believe nothing is going to change now, let alone in the next 14 years?

This is all just fun and games, but, its real money, and seems could really impact my resale value!!!

And you really believe nothing is going to change now, let alone in the next 14 years?

This is all just fun and games, but, its real money, and seems could really impact my resale value!!!
Resale value is actually something I've not seen discussed yet. The proposal also cancels transferability when you sell the property. Today, you can sell your solar equipped home and the new owner will get to continue with the original NEM term from PTO. If this proposal goes through, the new owner will have to take the current solar tariff and the property will lose its original NEM status. Can you imagine how hard it will be to sell a property that has a PPA solar system and will have to pay these new utility fees immediately upon starting service for the new owner?

Resale value is actually something I've not seen discussed yet. The proposal also cancels transferability when you sell the property. Today, you can sell your solar equipped home and the new owner will get to continue with the original NEM term from PTO. If this proposal goes through, the new owner will have to take the current solar tariff and the property will lose its original NEM status. Can you imagine how hard it will be to sell a property that has a PPA solar system and will have to pay these new utility fees immediately upon starting service for the new owner?
I missed that, so even worse! Which is why getting to a non export status with PGE might be the only way to sell with solar, or just remove it all.

Wanting to get inputs from the folks whose jobs depend on solar. Do they think this is going to impact them?

I missed that, so even worse! Which is why getting to a non export status with PGE might be the only way to sell with solar, or just remove it all.

Wanting to get inputs from the folks whose jobs depend on solar. Do they think this is going to impact them?
Quick response on lunch: This proposed language will kill at least 90% of the retrofit PV jobs. Anyone doing it for the money instead of for the planet will likely not buy the PV system with a 15-20 year payback, or a never payback if equipment breaks more than it should.

We will still do some new construction since those are required to have PV on the rooftop. Usually, this is the smallest system the builder can get away with.

Reactions: h2ofun
Quick response on lunch: This proposed language will kill at least 90% of the retrofit PV jobs. Anyone doing it for the money instead of for the planet will likely not buy the PV system with a 15-20 year payback, or a never payback if equipment breaks more than it should.

We will still do some new construction since those are required to have PV on the rooftop. Usually, this is the smallest system the builder can get away with.
Yep, that is what many of us are thinking. And now I really bet new builders would really do what it takes to put in as small a system as possible!!