Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to deal with crazy drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure if it is the fact that I’m getting older or people are just idiots, I find that there seems to be more crazy drivers who do not seem to care about anyone but them. Weather they are not paying attention, on there phones or talking with there passengers. My wife says I should get over it, but it just bugs me.

• Love
Reactions: David99
how to battle crazy? be crazier than them!

You know how they pass you and give you "The Look"?

I wish I could respond with this look:

maori.jpg

• Funny
Just a little contrast: the nicest place I've ever driven has probably been Honolulu, Hawaii. No major rush, cars allow you to merge if you signal, all-around common courtesy. It was a shock to me the first time I drove there, having just come from the Los Angeles area where I live. Very refreshing, even though the traffic out there is probably just as bad or worse during rush hour.

Thanks for all the responses. I made sure I did not slow down. I have seen terrible accidents when people 'brake checked' annoying people behind them and I do not want to cause an accident no matter how much of an a** the person behind me is. If I'm on a normal freeway in the left lane and someone comes up to behind me driving 100 I move over. I do not want to start a fight with them. The situation I explained was different. There was no way for me to move. The other lanes were packed.

Either way, it was just an example. I just wanted to hear how other react to crazy drivers.

Reactions: Sawyer8888 and Max*
Thanks for all the responses. I made sure I did not slow down. I have seen terrible accidents when people 'brake checked' annoying people behind them and I do not want to cause an accident no matter how much of an a** the person behind me is. If I'm on a normal freeway in the left lane and someone comes up to behind me driving 100 I move over. I do not want to start a fight with them. The situation I explained was different. There was no way for me to move. The other lanes were packed.

Either way, it was just an example. I just wanted to hear how other react to crazy drivers.
One thing that worked for me: I recently put a fairly large company sticker from work on the back of my car. It seems people got a bit less crazy after that and keep slightly better distance. Perhaps people realize there is an actual person in the car rather than an anonymous ghost that needs to be plowed off the road? The sticker reminds me to be extra courteous to others as well and I would never engage in retaliation, brake checking or otherwise, against an aggressive driver while advertising my brand.

Speaking of brands, if you encounter a dangerous driver in a company car/truck, be sure to call their employer. Hopefully they get an earful, or get fired.

How about creating a youtube channel with reckless drivers, with license clearly plates visible.
If reckless enough and millions of viewers, perhaps the authorities feel they finally need to do something after all?

I was thinking posting on YouTube some dash cam video of reckless drivers,
but I wonder how many people would have watch it since I don't have any followers.

I recently had this driver who passed other cars waiting at the metering light
before entering the free way and almost hitted my back bumper while passing the red light.
Google Maps Google Maps

2017 03 02 03-30 pm - Passing Red light HOV Metering light - Right side  02c   R.jpg 2017 03 02 03-30 pm - Passing Red light HOV Metering light - Right side  03a   R .jpg 2017 03 02 03-30 pm - Passing Red light HOV Metering light - Right side  03b  R.jpg 2017 03 02 03-30 pm - Passing Red light HOV Metering light - Right side  06   R.jpg 2017 03 02 03-30 pm - Passing Red light HOV Metering light - Right side  07   R.jpg 2017 03 02 03-30 pm - Passing Red light HOV Metering light - Right side  08   R.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo and Olle
You sure as heck don't want to brake check, if you cause an accident you're at fault.

Oddly enough the people in Baja drive really well, they pull to the right and use the left turn signal to let you know when its safe to pass.
Just came back from another week down there and always amazed at the change of drivers after crossing the border.

One thing that worked for me: I recently put a fairly large company sticker from work on the back of my car. It seems people got a bit less crazy after that and keep slightly better distance. Perhaps people realize there is an actual person in the car rather than an anonymous ghost that needs to be plowed off the road? The sticker reminds me to be extra courteous to others as well and I would never engage in retaliation, brake checking or otherwise, against an aggressive driver while advertising my brand.

Speaking of brands, if you encounter a dangerous driver in a company car/truck, be sure to call their employer. Hopefully they get an earful, or get fired.
Especially if your brand is Smith and Wesson :eek:

You shouldn't be driving in the left lane. It's for passing.
This is not a universal law/rule, although it is prevalent. In California the left lane is for driving faster than the right lane. I have never been clear who gets to decide how fast "faster" is. but in general they seem to have it worked out. I have the impression there is more road rage in high-traffic California freeways, but I have no data. Probably related to having more traffic to be enraged about rather than lane speed issues.

This is not a universal law/rule, although it is prevalent. In California the left lane is for driving faster than the right lane. I have never been clear who gets to decide how fast "faster" is. but in general they seem to have it worked out. I have the impression there is more road rage in high-traffic California freeways, but I have no data. Probably related to having more traffic to be enraged about rather than lane speed issues.
Well, we're talking about California, right?

A. I posted this upthread already. State "keep right" laws
The Uniform Vehicle Code states: Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic.

Each state adds it's own restrictions/adjustments/etc. on it (like not applicable on a 2 lane freeway, or only slow vehicles, etc.). Most states (not ALL of them, but most of them) have some variant of keep right except to pass.

B. In Cali, it's "notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits." So if the person in the left lane is doing 105mph, and I come up on him doing 106mph, legally he still needs to move.

This is not related to the HOV lane the OP was in.

Well, we're talking about California, right?

A. I posted this upthread already. State "keep right" laws
The Uniform Vehicle Code states: Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic.

Each state adds it's own restrictions/adjustments/etc. on it (like not applicable on a 2 lane freeway, or only slow vehicles, etc.). Most states (not ALL of them, but most of them) have some variant of keep right except to pass.

B. In Cali, it's "notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits." So if the person in the left lane is doing 105mph, and I come up on him doing 106mph, legally he still needs to move.

This is not related to the HOV lane the OP was in.

It isn't clear to me from the examples you cite that this supports your statement that "You shouldn't be driving in the left lane. It's for passing." People in California definitely drive in the left lane, and their laws support that. Maybe two people from places other than California are not the best qualified to have a discussion about it, and who really cares anyway.:D

I think the OP reacted like I would have. I would try to move over, however traffic conditions may prevent that, like in the OP's case.

Generally, no matter the speed limit or lane designation (HOV), yield to faster moving traffic.

Use of Lanes - Driving Information - DriversEd.com

Speaking of brands, if you encounter a dangerous driver in a company car/truck, be sure to call their employer.

I have done this. In addition, I keep a mental note of the various company trucks that sit in the left and middle lanes forcing others to dangerously pass them on the right. I will not do business with their company.​

Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic.

This is similar to Florida statutes. Enforcement is another issue. I always see local and state police drive around cars on the right instead of pulling them over.​

Reactions: Max*
It isn't clear to me from the examples you cite that this supports your statement that "You shouldn't be driving in the left lane. It's for passing." People in California definitely drive in the left lane, and their laws support that. Maybe two people from places other than California are not the best qualified to have a discussion about it, and who really cares anyway.:D
Actually, I posted in haste, you're right, in Cali it's keep right only if you're slower. My bad.

The other point is still valid, move over regardless of speed.

Reactions: BerTX
The whole 'drive on the right, pass on the left' thing doesn't apply to freeways inside of LA and OC. You have 4 to 6 lanes of packed traffic. Exits and on-ramps are on the right and left side. The whole concept of driving in the right lane doesn't apply in those situations. Every lane and every inch is used and should be. You often have to drive in the left lane to get to where you need to go.

The whole 'drive on the right, pass on the left' thing doesn't apply to freeways inside of LA and OC. You have 4 to 6 lanes of packed traffic. Exits and on-ramps are on the right and left side. The whole concept of driving in the right lane doesn't apply in those situations. Every lane and every inch is used and should be. You often have to drive in the left lane to get to where you need to go.

Absolutely correct. And that sort of mentality mostly carries over to our more rural freeways, especially if there are three or more lanes in each direction.

We have a "driving too slowly" statute on the books--traffic hazard and all--but is rarely enforced in rural areas to my understanding unless the driver is in the #1 lane driving well under the speed limit.

This results in a paradox: One can drive in the #1 lane at the speed limit and be followed by a line of cars who wish to drive faster--perhaps much faster than the speed limit. Yet law enforcement cannot cite the driver who is driving at the speed limit for "driving too slowly"--the driver has an affirmative defense if he contests the citation.

Go figure.

i dont know about other states but in CA, the most left lane is suppose to be a passing lane which 99% of drivers dont even know.. so honestly if youre not passing someone or someone is riding your ass, pretty simple, move over.

Well, the OP stated they were in the HOV lane, so if they moved over and weren't at the exit point in CA, they would get a ticket for that. You can't always just move over in the HOV lanes here.

Absolutely correct. And that sort of mentality mostly carries over to our more rural freeways, especially if there are three or more lanes in each direction.

The big problem is when these left-lane squatting habits carry over to rural interstates with only 2 lanes that are at or near capacity.

A case in point is I64 between Richmond and Virginia Beach. We live on the Richmond side, and my inlaws live on the other end, and we travel it often. The road is at full capacity during the summer tourist season, when people are going to/from DC and vacations in VA Beach or coastal areas to the south. Just one person sitting in the left lane doing 60mph can cause ripple effects and miles of bumper to bumper traffic, made worse by people doing crazy things to pass them on the right. This causes its own ripple effects and standing waves of people slamming on their brakes which can last for hours (I've watched them move on Google Maps). I think the road could actually handle the traffic, if people would actually keep right except to pass. Instead, due to left lane bandits, you get mini bottlenecks.