Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to delay delivery until 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My delivery date has suddenly been moved way up. Suddenly get an email our ordered car will be available in 2 days. This is late September.

Is it possible to get Tesla to delay delivery until 1/2023 for the tax credit. Is there any trick? Has Tesla made an announcement regarding how they’re handling these cases?

Is my only option to cancel?
Our order is from February when prices where lower. Ultimately seems like a wash it I was hoping for both.
In similar boat with ID4 order.
Also ordered Tesla roof but they haven’t done installs all year.
Thanks

No trick. Either take delivery at the lower price you locked in or cancel and re-order in 2023.

Read your order agreement for the specifics. It has changed several times this year but the bottom line is they’re not in any way sympathetic to your plight and will cancel your order if you don’t take delivery soon. They’re more than happy to give your car to someone paying more if you don’t want it.

Reactions: KJD and Olle
I don't think there is any way to delay it 3 months.
With Feb 2022 pricing I'd just get the car now. There is still no confirmation MY will qualify for the full credit. May only save $3750 in the end if you wait for 2023 and you will be paying $7-8K more than Feb price.
the price has gone up $7000 since my order, with tax here in heavily taxed Calif where I reside is 9.25% so $7647.50

I want my car a lot more than I want to wait until my 2024 tax return to possibly get $7500

But maybe that's just me, I want what I want 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Just tell them no thank you. I want to wait. Then you go back in line. Has this changed? It was never an issue in the past to push out delivery.

Yes, fairly substatially (thank all the people who attempted to push out deliveries this time last year into 2022 to get a tax credit that ended up not existing).

If OP says "no thank you, I want to wait" they will say "thats fine of course, Please order again when you are ready, thank you for the $250 order fee that we will not be returning".

You can tell them you are not ready to take delivery. The last time I did this my delivery was postponed for 3 months.

Another thing to consider is interest rate. Who knows what sky high rate we would have in 2023. Do a calculation of how much more interest you have to pay if it rises another 1%. I’m pretty sure the rate will rise more than that at least.

no. I was just faced with the same issue. Few things. Since you can basically get an ordered car in weeks even jumping to the back of the line won’t help. You can try to change and change configuration again but they all are being delivered in weeks. This has caused the car flippers to pull out so that has also reduced fake demand. even high resale that made normal owners like myself sell and upgrade because of market shift that has also reduced demand. Lower gas prices have also helped ease demand.

Yes, fairly substatially (thank all the people who attempted to push out deliveries this time last year into 2022 to get a tax credit that ended up not existing).

If OP says "no thank you, I want to wait" they will say "thats fine of course, Please order again when you are ready, thank you for the $250 order fee that we will not be returning".
It’s still odd to me that the $250 is on top of the total price. It doesn’t go towards the car like a down payment. $250 for the privilege of ordering.

Reactions: acpd
It’s still odd to me that the $250 is on top of the total price. It doesn’t go towards the car like a down payment. $250 for the privilege of ordering.

Thats probably because of legal reasons. I am not a Lawyer, but I think (but am not 100% sure on this) that in CA, there is no such thing as a "non refundable deposit on a good that hasnt been delivered". Thus, I think if they called it a deposit instead of an order fee, they would have to refund it if asked.

By making it an order fee, and stating in the order agreement that it covers the logistics around placing the order, moving inventory around to fulfill it, etc, they can say "we believe we have earned that fee, thus we will not return it if the order is canceled (which is what they say).

Thats probably because of legal reasons. I am not a Lawyer, but I think (but am not 100% sure on this) that in CA, there is no such thing as a "non refundable deposit on a good that hasnt been delivered". Thus, I think if they called it a deposit instead of an order fee, they would have to refund it if asked.

By making it an order fee, and stating in the order agreement that it covers the logistics around placing the order, moving inventory around to fulfill it, etc, they can say "we believe we have earned that fee, thus we will not return it if the order is canceled (which is what they say).
Well, hopefully my order gets delayed. I placed it to lock in the already astronomical price, but I’m not looking to take delivery until Spring. Might just have burned $250.

Buyers are probably driving Tesla crazy. They order a car, and expect to wait for delivery. During that time they read about something new (or rebate) coming to production and want to change their orders to a later date. Tesla has scheduled production to fulfill those orders as placed. What are they supposed to do?

Well, hopefully my order gets delayed. I placed it to lock in the already astronomical price, but I’m not looking to take delivery until Spring. Might just have burned $250.

In my mind, its pretty likely you will either need to take delivery by the end of the year, or lose the $250. I doubt it that any order placed now is going to be able to be pushed out "to spring" (which starts March 20th 2023).

My delivery date has suddenly been moved way up. Suddenly get an email our ordered car will be available in 2 days. This is late September.

Is it possible to get Tesla to delay delivery until 1/2023 for the tax credit. Is there any trick? Has Tesla made an announcement regarding how they’re handling these cases?

Is my only option to cancel?
Our order is from February when prices where lower. Ultimately seems like a wash it I was hoping for both.
In similar boat with ID4 order.
Also ordered Tesla roof but they haven’t done installs all year.
Thanks
It has yet to be seen what level of tax credit 2023 Ys will qualify for. Depends on battery mineral sourcing and pack/ module assembly.

Buyers are probably driving Tesla crazy. They order a car, and expect to wait for delivery. During that time they read about something new (or rebate) coming to production and want to change their orders to a later date. Tesla has scheduled production to fulfill those orders as placed. What are they supposed to do?
Tesla will lower their prices. Supply has almost caught up to demand, Tesla will lower their prices to drive demand, they have the profit margins to do this.

Tesla has been driving buyers crazy for months, giving preference to FSD and MYP buyers. I don’t understand how anyone would feel feel sorry for them.

Reactions: acpd