TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to fix broken control stalks

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by David99, Sep 21, 2018.

1. David99

David99 Active Member

A few days ago I got in the car quickly and accidentally broke off my blinker stalk. Since I like fixing things on my car, I did a little research and found that the entire unit that holds all control stalks around the steering wheel is one unit that can easily replaced. I doubled check the official service manual to see to see if I needed any special tools or materials to replace it but it all looked straight forward.

The entire repair took maybe 30 min. I think next time I could probably do it in 15 min. I documented the steps in a little video. I hope this will be helpful to some out here.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. xAgyex

xAgyex Member

Great job. Wonder if it is as easy on the auto pilot stock.

3. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

Cool, great job.
    I did my door handles. Took longer to get right size tools than fix. I now have 4 spares in case another breaks.

• Like x 1
  4. David99

David99 Active Member

I believe it’s the same amount of work. It is a very similar unit with just slightly different design. They have the parts for the AP cars as well as the Model 3 and it looks very similar.