Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get fair value for FSD on a trade in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD is a sunk cost. It’s not worth much used, especially from a dealer at trade in. Tesla doesn’t value it because they can add it for free to any used Tesla they get.

You might be able to find a private buyer who will pay a couple thousand extra for it over a car without FSD. But if you’re hopping to get close to your $12k back or even half that, you are dreaming.

Tesla accidently sent me 2 quotes, with the first one they assumed my trade-in would have FSD then they realized I was planning on transferring FSD to a new vehicle and sent a 2nd quote. The price difference was $6,400, my TM3 LR is almost 6 years old. From this example, Tesla does not consider FSD to be zero dollars for a used vehicle. I've since decided to transfer my FSD to a new M3 but sell the car privately as their trade in value for the car itself was crap.

Tesla trade in value for my 2019 model 3 is in the low 20s. Doesn’t seem to assign any value for FSD. Any suggestions?
Tesla trade in value for my 2019 model 3 is in the low 20s. Doesn’t seem to assign any value for FSD. Any suggestions?
Transfer FSD to your new vehicle.
Yes--have them transfer the FSD from your current car to your new one. There should be no cost/refund--just a zero sum/null effect. We are in the process of trading our 2020 Model 3 for a new 2024 Y--and are discussing the trade-in value. They are suggesting a trade in of 23, 600. We had originally been told probably 24,700. This is pretty close to what was suggested by a local Ford dealer when we were still looking at a Lightning. The current value FSD is in the range of 12,000. But that figure shouldn't be in discussion if you are transferring it to the new vehicle. Right?

trade in value for my 2019 model 3 is in the low 20s. Doesn’t seem to assign any value for FSD. Any suggestions?We ar mint he process of trading pin our 2020Model 3 for a 2024 Model Y