Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get trade-in quote via the app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning to upgrade my 2018 Model S to a new one. I used Tesla's trade-in web page (Trade-in | Tesla) to get a quote.

I'm curious about something: After I requested my quote, I was looking for more information on how the trade-in process works, and I came across this support article: Ordering a Tesla. The article says: "To begin the trade-in process, get a quote through the Tesla app." Where in the app do you request a trade-in quote? I looked for this, including under Service menu, but couldn't find it anywhere. It doesn't really matter since I already have the quote, I was just wondering.

FYI, the quote from Tesla was lower than I expected, $45,300 - $50,200 for an S100D with 26k miles and FSD (MCU2 and HW3), but after looking at what comparable cars are selling for, around $50k, it's not bad. When I first starting looking at buying a new car a few months ago, cars like mine were selling for around $70k. On the other hand, the price of a new S has come down quite a bit in that time. Carvana gave me an online quote of $36.4k, and I have a CarMax appointment later this week (they couldn't give me an online quote). I'll probably trade it in to Tesla, unless CarMax surprises me with a better than expected quote.

I went through this process when I placed a new order for 23' MSP. I submitted pictures through the app and waited about a week for them to generate the actual quote, which I was able to view on the Tesla app. The actual quote they gave me was lower than the range they initially provided and I ended up selling it privately.

I went through this process when I placed a new order for 23' MSP. I submitted pictures through the app and waited about a week for them to generate the actual quote, which I was able to view on the Tesla app. The actual quote they gave me was lower than the range they initially provided and I ended up selling it privately.
How did you submit pictures through the app?

Hi everyone, I would also be interested in how the trade in process works. I am going through this now. I received an email with a range but didn't place an order just yet. Please share details when available. Thanks so much!

I am pretty sure you have to place an order to get to the part of the app that allows you to get a final quote. Once you place the order, then it will ask you for the trade in, and ask you to upload a set of pictures. It took about 2 days for me to get the quote once I did this.

I also was trading in a 2018 S (75D), I got back 39k (that includes the extra 5k right now) as the estimate, which honestly wasn't terrible. Of course I can get more selling private, but I just hate doing that. It was also the upper end of the range for trade-in value on KBB. Anyway, I turned it down as we are going to keep the car now.

I'm 99% sure you will have to put the deposit down to get the final quote. If you are totally unsure on the car unless you get a certain amount in trade-in, I would do Carmax or Carvana and see what they give. If you are comfortable enough with one of those, maybe Tesla will give you a bit more given the 5k bump right now. All else fails, you have the backup plan.

GL.

Reactions: mm9351 and E90alex
I have an excellent, Model x, original range quote put me 41k+ with the extra 5k. when they quoted me after depositing it was 31k, including the extra 5k. So I told them if they don’t match the original quote, I won’t buy it. The extra 5k, is a total scam. They are telling my my model x is worth 26k. I gues they don’t want to sell S’s

With the latest price reductions, it stands to reason that older models will also take a hit. I know it happened when I traded in my 2020 M3. Tesla doesn’t negotiate, so it’s doubtful they’ll meet your take it or or leave it offer. To the OP - remember that when you trade in with Tesla, your tax will be only on the cost difference. When you use a third party like CarMax, then your tax will be based on the full purchase price.

Reactions: mm9351
We’ll that’s debatable, but I wonder whether the cost to you will be the same given the latest price reduction of a new S and the reduction in your trade in. I, too, was pissed that Tesla reduced my trade in by $5000 when they reduced the price of a new M3, but since the price of my new X was set before last year’s price increase I figured I’d eat the loss because I’d still be ahead. But now with the latest price reduction I’m around $4000 behind. I feel bad about it but my love for this car more than makes up for my monetary loss.

FYI

I just walked away from delivery, when I order, I was quoted a $36000 for my trade, plus an additional $5000 for having free supercharging. ( in writing ) When the final paperwork was done, they only gave me $36000 for the trade and said the $5000 was included. Which is total BS, so basically my Model X is worth 31k. They are playing games. Congratulations on the new owner of overprice model S, with HW4.

That’s a shame and what I have been worried about. Classic bait and switch. I got a quote for my car from Tesla prior to ordering. Two days later I ordered a new Tesla. Still waiting on the quote through the app but if your experience is anything similar then I should be prepared to walk. You can’t give a range on a quote and then a day later come up with something much lower.

Reactions: MakeUSGreat
FYI, the quote from Tesla was lower than I expected, $45,300 - $50,200 for an S100D with 26k miles and FSD (MCU2 and HW3), but after looking at what comparable cars are selling for, around $50k, it's not bad. When I first starting looking at buying a new car a few months ago, cars like mine were selling for around $70k. On the other hand, the price of a new S has come down quite a bit in that time. Carvana gave me an online quote of $36.4k, and I have a CarMax appointment later this week (they couldn't give me an online quote). I'll probably trade it in to Tesla, unless CarMax surprises me with a better than expected quote.
Just an update: I got quotes from both Driveway and CarMax, and they were lower than any of the other quotes. Driveway was $25.5k, CarMax was $28.5. At this point Tesla's offer was the best by far. We'll see what they actually offer me once I order the new car.

FYI, I test drove an S today at the Tesla in West Palm Beach FL, to evaluate the yoke wheel. I figured while I was there, they could look at my old S in person and give me a real quote. Apparently not. I was told the appraisers are all remote, there aren't any in the service center, at least not at mine.

• Funny
Reactions: mm9351 and Macbest
It’s interesting that sites such as Driveway and Carmax give you virtually instant & firm cash offers, yet Tesla gives a range estimate and won’t lock in the offer until a few days before they locate a VIN for you. Driveway actually called me last night and gave a cash offer over the phone for my M3P. I texted Tesla today for an update and they advised the trade in team is running behind, and offers are taking longer than usual. But for customers like me and others on this forum who are relying on the trade to finance the purchase, it adds a good deal of stress.

Reactions: Macbest
I thought about trading in my ‘17 S75D for something new. The best offer (not from Tesla) was $33K. Thats $15K less than one year ago. I know used car values declined last year but this is a 30% drop. Even new cars don’t depreciate that much in their first year.

It’s somewhat funny that when I bought this car there were all these people claiming that Tesla cars don’t depreciate like ICE cars. I guess that’s true. The depreciation is much worse.

It’s not all bad. The car runs fine so I will keep it and save money instead of spending it on a new car I don’t really need.

Just an update: I got quotes from both Driveway and CarMax, and they were lower than any of the other quotes. Driveway was $25.5k, CarMax was $28.5. At this point Tesla's offer was the best by far. We'll see what they actually offer me once I order the new car.
Tesla ended up giving me $47.3k for my 2018 S100D, much more than anyone else. The original estimate from Tesla was $45.3-50.2k.