Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to improve yoke buttons for $8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You do know the trick right, you can activate the horn just by covering the entire right side with your palm. You don't need to hunt for the horn button. Just take your palm and slam cover all the buttons on the right.
Yes, I tested that before last car wash. It turned on windshield wipers too, 3 out of 4 times. Okay for emergency I guess, but not ideal!

Reactions: BrianKH
I took the concept a bit farther and made my shift buttons easier to find in a hurry. I don't care about park and neutral and I've had to use the hazard lights more than I thought I would. Definitely faster for me to change direction in a hurry and the stupid touch screen. I can do this totally by tactile feedback and it responds very quickly now. I could rock the car if I had to get it unstuck now a lot easier if needed.

I didn't include any photos but I did them on my door buttons too to take the wear and tear as well as let my wife, kid and passenger find them faster.
IMG_4379.jpg

Last edited:
You do know the trick right, you can activate the horn just by covering the entire right side with your palm. You don't need to hunt for the horn button. Just take your palm and slam cover all the buttons on the right.
Yes, I have done this a few times. For me, when it works, it gives a rapid-fire staccato horn sound, rather than I single horn. It really gets the attention of others. I love it (when it works).

Yes, I tested that before last car wash. It turned on windshield wipers too, 3 out of 4 times. Okay for emergency I guess, but not ideal!
Yep

I took the concept a bit farther and made my shift buttons easier to find in a hurry. I don't care about park and neutral and I've had to use the hazard lights more than I thought I would. Definitely faster for me to change direction in a hurry and the stupid touch screen. I can do this totally by tactile feedback and it responds very quickly now. I could rock the car if I had to get it unstuck now a lot easier if needed.

I didn't include any photos but I did them on my door buttons too to take the wear and tear as well as let my wife, kid and passenger find them faster.
View attachment 831647
I may try this. Are these buttons active all the time? I have only seen them light up when in valet mode or re-booting.

The buttons are receptive I'd say but won't activate any gear changes all the time. A certain system of conditions have to be met before they will light up.

You can get them to light up two ways to actuate them assuming you are going slow enough.
  • 2 Finger salute (press both wheel button while below about 5 mph)
  • Pressing the individual shift buttons. Typically the first press will get them to light, assuming you accurately hit them (hence the benefit of the little clear button) and then the second press sends the command for what ever button you pushes, PNDR. So basically a fairly quick double tap will engage P, N, D or R assuming you are slower than about 5 mph
Anecdotally, when my car was delivered, the valet had a terrible time trying to get the buttons to light up by just tapping them. I didn't have much more success. Then I learned of the 2 finger salute. That would at least illuminate the buttons making them much easier to press. With the little clear buttons, very easy to just double tap them. If I do it too quickly it doesn't take but now I can do it all without looking. Amazing what a 20 cent piece of low-tech can do to make such a high tech car better when the designers make such stupid decisions.

Even if you love the yoke, this might be a good mod for you.

Reactions: Mark II and scottfl
I love my model S but don't always love the Yoke. Application of these $8 clear round buttons have made a world of difference. I can now feel the buttons and not have to look down before pressing. And interestingly, the buttons are now more, rather than less responsive. And I think they look really good--should come this way from the factory.

Lots of different options but this is the pack I bought on Amazon:
Amazon.com

View attachment 819193View attachment 819194View attachment 819195
$11 now!

I have been using the dots on just the horn and the brights for some time. It is a nice symmetrical look. I have intermittently had the problem of the horn button not activating with the dots in place. Not often, but sometimes.
I added the dots to the turn signals. I noticed that sometimes the left turn signal did not work. Yesterday, it would not work at all. I tried for several minutes to put the dot on all sorts of different places, and absolutely nothing would happen. I removed the dot and it worked just fine. I imagine it is a placement issue.

I have been using the dots on just the horn and the brights for some time. It is a nice symmetrical look. I have intermittently had the problem of the horn button not activating with the dots in place. Not often, but sometimes.
I added the dots to the turn signals. I noticed that sometimes the left turn signal did not work. Yesterday, it would not work at all. I tried for several minutes to put the dot on all sorts of different places, and absolutely nothing would happen. I removed the dot and it worked just fine. I imagine it is a placement issue.
Dots probably need to be half the size/diameter. Can someone find 1/4” dots to replace these 1/2” ones?

• Informative
Reactions: 4SUPER9
These things ROCK! I have the larger ones and seem to work every time. SO much easier to find HIGHS without looking. Turns are easier too, but the divider always made those easier to hit w/o looking than the Highs. Don't use the horn much, but when install DOT it honked so it works.

THANKS!!!!! Highly recommend , even at $11.

P.S. Saw the thing putting on the PRND down low and am going to add those. Have 100 and only used 6 so lots of places a guy could use these to compensate for bad UI designs.