Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn Signals and Critical Buttons made easier to feel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
I like to keep my eyes on the road. Every car I've owned has had a turn-signal wand on the steering column (except for my 1930 Model A Ford). My 2023 MX yoke has no wands/stobs/levers on the steering column. Instead, they have buttons on that must be located and touched to operate. Okay, cars are cheaper to make without the wands--I get it but finding them can be an issue when you can't afford to be distracted--like 90% of the time. Sure, I'll learn where they are in time, but it seems that if each of these buttons had a subtle braille-like dot, they would be easier to find without looking for them--especially when the yoke is upside down or at an arbitrary angle. Accessibility is still important--even for those with good vision.

Perhaps an after-market raised sticker would help. I'm going to try these (about $7).

I like to keep my eyes on the road. Every car I've owned has had a turn-signal wand on the steering column (except for my 1930 Model A Ford). My 2023 MX yoke has no wands/stobs/levers on the steering column. Instead, they have buttons on that must be located and touched to operate. Okay, cars are cheaper to make without the wands--I get it but finding them can be an issue when you can't afford to be distracted--like 90% of the time. Sure, I'll learn where they are in time, but it seems that if each of these buttons had a subtle braille-like dot, they would be easier to find without looking for them--especially when the yoke is upside down or at an arbitrary angle. Accessibility is still important--even for those with good vision.

Perhaps an after-market raised sticker would help. I'm going to try these (about $7).

It will be interesting to see if those work on capacitive buttons. Unfortunately, I have my doubts. Your concerns about the lack of stalks and having to look for buttons are valid and I share them, especially in an emergency situation.

Reactions: Beta V

I have a Feb 2022 MDLR with the yoke. I put a clear raised sticker on the horn. Works perfectly. No need for turn signal sticker because of the raised line between them. I've not used the bright button that much so no sticker. It's been a year and the sticker still works like a champ.

I have a Feb 2022 MDLR with the yoke. I put a clear raised sticker on the horn. Works perfectly. No need for turn signal sticker because of the raised line between them. I've not used the bright button that much so no sticker. It's been a year and the sticker still works like a champ.
My MX yoke does not have the ridge between the left and right turn signal buttons but my feelable dots work fine.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
2022 MXP. The raised line is helpful but I often hit the incorrect turn signal which is dangerous. The dots sound like a good idea. With regards to the horn, are people aware that you can just hit the entire area on the right side of the yoke to engage the horn. It's not the most elegant solution (and will also engage the wipers) but it does work. Requires less accuracy for the horn. But try engaging the horn when the yoke is upside down; IMPOSSIBLE.

Reactions: zoomer0056