Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to open doors with keyfob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea funny on the contrary I have the option but have to disable it due to how the genius at Tesla decided to bundle all of these together under the "Automatic door" setting:

- Self-present driver door
- Double click to open driver door
- Double click 2nd time to open passenger door

Because of my kid (door always hit on her when we both approach to the car from the front) and annoyance when entering/exiting the garage, I have to disable self-present door. While I want the double click functionality I can't use them!

Bump! I too would love to be able to disable the self-presenting door, but still be able to have the double-click functionality to open the driver and passenger doors.

Bump! I too would love to be able to disable the self-presenting door, but still be able to have the double-click functionality to open the driver and passenger doors.
Was reading this thread because of the added content, and in case it’s not clear, you now can do this. Turn off Passive Entry. (Of course you need the firmware where that appeared... 17.32?)

Then the first double click unlocks and opens the driver door, second does the passenger door. That’s how I have mine set up (with PUP).

If it doesn’t work precisely like that, I’ll get the settings from my car when I get it back from being wrapped tomorrow. But I know I do NOT have auto present on, and it will auto-open on double-click.

Reactions: SteveMost
Was reading this thread because of the added content, and in case it’s not clear, you now can do this. Turn off Passive Entry. (Of course you need the firmware where that appeared... 17.32?)

Then the first double click unlocks and opens the driver door, second does the passenger door. That’s how I have mine set up (with PUP).

If it doesn’t work precisely like that, I’ll get the settings from my car when I get it back from being wrapped tomorrow. But I know I do NOT have auto present on, and it will auto-open on double-click.

When you get a chance, could you post your settings? I have auto-present OFF and the latest firmware, but the double-click does not open the driver or passenger door. Thanks!!

When you get a chance, could you post your settings? I have auto-present OFF and the latest firmware, but the double-click does not open the driver or passenger door. Thanks!!
Here you go. These settings do not 'autopresent' since Passive Entry is disabled. Double-click will unlock and open Driver's door. Another double-click will open Passenger's door. Triple-click will close/lock everything. I also have WalkAway disabled as I think it takes too long, and I want positive control. You could enable that and use it also, as well as triple-click, of course.

Let me know if you have any issues. This is with 17.38, but worked with 17.36, which is what the car came with and should work with anything since Passive Entry appeared.

Door-Settings.jpeg

Reactions: SteveMost
Awesome, thanks!

I just realized I am a complete idiot! :p

I thought the Automatic Doors setting was the self presenting setting since that is what was told to me by the DS when I took delivery. So I left it off and didn't see the Passive Entry setting after turning it on. The Passive Entry setting also can only be set while pressing on the brake pedal.

Thanks for your help!!!

Awesome, thanks!

I just realized I am a complete idiot! :p

I thought the Automatic Doors setting was the self presenting setting since that is what was told to me by the DS when I took delivery. So I left it off and didn't see the Passive Entry setting after turning it on. The Passive Entry setting also can only be set while pressing on the brake pedal.

Thanks for your help!!!
My pleasure... Yeah, take info from the staff there with a grain of salt sometimes... Automatic Doors is self presenting, but it's not the whole story. Passive Entry Disabled then will make it be 'you do it' for more security/control. :)

One other question. So with Passive Entry off, it will not auto-unlock itself when I get near. Do you happen to know if there is a combination of settings that would allow the auto-unlock and double-clicking of the keyfob to open the doors WITHOUT the auto-presenting doors?

One other question. So with Passive Entry off, it will not auto-unlock itself when I get near. Do you happen to know if there is a combination of settings that would allow the auto-unlock and double-clicking of the keyfob to open the doors WITHOUT the auto-presenting doors?
Do you mean you don’t have auto-presenting doors?

Auto doors On and Passive Off allows the doors to unlock and open on double click. As in the pic above, so I must be misunderstanding you.

What does ‘open’ mean to you? Physically open? Or just unlock? Unlock and you need to press the the handle would be Auto Doors Off

Not being able to open the Passenger door has puzzled me for a while. Why should my wife be slighted when I open the FWD or Trunk for others entering or loading things?

I just tried this and it worked:
Approach car---car unlocks
Driver's door self opens (presents)
Double click roof on fob-----Passenger door opened!
And I love the single click to close everything now!

Reactions: Blaine
"Driver's door self opens (presents)" means that the Driver's door opens up. Just like it's designed.
I've not had an issue with accidentally single clicking the fob. First, I'd have to be close enough for it to activate and second, I always keep the fob in my front pocket. Not fashionable, but it keeps me from sitting on it........

I know what presents means. You were discussing the passenger door, not the drivers door. Which is why I was trying to clarify what you meant.

And having the fob in the front pocket is *exactly* the case where a press as you bent over against something would inadvertently cause all doors to close, perhaps on someone, like a trunk or a FWD. This has happened dozens of times. Which is why they added the option to disable single click to close all doors.

We've all been here before.