Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Prevent Discoloration of Exterior Black (chrome) Window Trim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dropped off 2023 MSLR at SC.
Loaner is black 2021 M3 with black (chrome) window trim that is severely discolored (rainbow).
How does this happen so I can avoid it:

Attachments

• F215B066-C406-475B-871B-98386047FA09.jpeg
    F215B066-C406-475B-871B-98386047FA09.jpeg
    435.7 KB · Views: 477
How does this happen so I can avoid it:
It happens when using caustic cleaning chemicals on the car. (For example a lot of touch-less car washes use very caustic chemicals to get the car clean without touching it. But we have seen reports of people having the same thing hand-washing depending on what cleaner they use.)

Some people have said that Tesla has changed the manufacturing of the trim such that it doesn't react. (Or maybe not as quickly/badly.)

Reactions: Mayer
This stuff seems to work great to bring back the shine to the black trim.
Are you having this issue on your Model S or X?

The reason I am asking, is that that I’ve seen the door trim discoloration on the Model Y (after a touch-free car wash), but the Model S seems to have a slightly different trim surface: looks glossier than the trim on the Model Y. So I wonder if it is prone to the same discoloration problem or not. I haven’t taken my new Model S to a car wash yet, afraid to do it.

Are you having this issue on your Model S or X?

The reason I am asking, is that that I’ve seen the door trim discoloration on the Model Y (after a touch-free car wash), but the Model S seems to have a slightly different trim surface: looks glossier than the trim on the Model Y. So I wonder if it is prone to the same discoloration problem or not. I haven’t taken my new Model S to a car wash yet, afraid to do it.

I definitely have some water/chemical spotting on my black Model S trim.. not sure it's "discolored" per se but definitely gets spotting/rainbowing. The X and 3 are both chrome trim, so hard to compare. Don't have a Y but I believe they are a more matte finish.

Planning to get the S to my detailer next week so I can send some results once they're done with it.

Reactions: byeLT4
I’ll be doing PPF wrap + ceramic coating next week. I wonder if the trim can be wrapped too? Or whether ceramic coating applied to the trim would help?
I believe the trim can be wrapped, but I'm not sure... not a big fan of PPF - it's a very expensive solution to only one of many possible problems.

The Model 3 is a 2019; the X is a 2020 and the S is a 2021. Holding our own without PPF, I think.

Attachments

• IMG_2760.jpeg
    IMG_2760.jpeg
    602.8 KB · Views: 111
This stuff seems to work great to bring back the shine to the black trim.
As OP, I only had the M3 as a SC loaner and wish I could see this product work. The M3 had rear wheel drive and what a blast it was to drive. But the discoloration was terrible. I wonder if the particular car was unusual or if this is the inevitable result of using a touch less car wash that uses harsh chemicals to remove debris without brushes.
If this product fixes the discoloration, they have a moneymaker.

With the Model Y it’s pretty common. Just Google “Model Y Trim discoloration”. A single touch-free car wash is all it takes. Fortunately it’s not a permanent damage: easy to wipe off. ArmorAll wipes worked for me, but others recommended WD-40.

Here’s one of many threads about this issue in the Model Y section:

That’s great information
I wonder why the service center doesn’t apply that product properly remedy the discoloration on the loaner vehicle it provided, since many Tesla owners might be looking for a second Tesla vehicle for their family.

It seems my service center must use a touchless car wash to clean their loaner vehicles since the discoloration was so obvious on the vehicle the service center provided, photo above in the original post

Good to know, it can simply be wiped away

I wonder why the service center doesn’t apply that product properly remedy the discoloration on the loaner vehicle it provided, since many Tesla owners might be looking for a second Tesla vehicle for their family.

The loaners are in constant rotation -- I don't think they get a lot of wash/care/attention.

I've washed loaners before returning before just so the next person would have a clean car to start.

Reactions: Mayer