Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to quickly defrost windshield while driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't want to turn on AC just want to quickly defrost for 10 seconds and then turn it off.

Currently I have to press the number next to the car icon to bring the menu up and then hit the defrost icon to defrost the front windshield, then hit the OFF icon to turn everything off. Is there a faster way just defrosting front windshield (like one click or via steering button?)

Thanks

There's an easy solution for this one. You can put the defrost control on the bottom of your screen for one touch access.

From the Tesla site user manual: Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Customizing My Apps​

For one-touch access to commonly used apps and controls, you can customize what displays in the My Apps area on the touchscreen's bottom bar:
  1. Enter customization mode by touching and holding any app or control in the My Apps area. If this area is empty, touch the App Launcher.
  2. Simply drag any app or control from the app tray onto the My Apps area in the bottom bar.

Last edited:
I wish you could turn off defrost from the app - I 'started' my car this am while it was in the garage, to precondition. Because it's chilly outside (43) and about 50 in the garage, it apparently decided that both front and rear defrost needed to be on. There's no way I could see to turn them off from the app, which is a little annoying. There's a button that says Defrost Your Car, but that turns on Max Defrost and isn't a toggle for regular defrost. Seems like a waste of energy when the car is in the garage.

One button solution: Press right hand steering wheel button and say: "Defrost front window." Later, say "Set climate to automatic". This solution lets you defrost without taking your eyes off the road.
except it often doesn't recognize voice commands when the fan is on high. (along with the plethora of other issues with voice commands)

There's an easy solution for this one. You can put the defrost control on the bottom of your screen for one touch access.

Customizing My Apps​

For one-touch access to commonly used apps and controls, you can customize what displays in the My Apps area on the touchscreen's bottom bar:
  1. Enter customization mode by touching and holding any app or control in the My Apps area. If this area is empty, touch the App Launcher.
  2. Simply drag any app or control from the app tray onto the My Apps area in the bottom bar.
Note that there is both a defog setting as well as a defrost setting. I think the icon works the same when you put it in the app bar but I haven't verified that. From the manual:

The windshield defroster distributes air flow to the windshield. Touch once to defog the windshield (the icon turns blue). Touch a second time to defrost the windshield. Touch a third time to turn off and restore the air distribution, heating, and fan to their previous settings. In cold ambient temperatures, the exterior side mirrors are also heated whenever the windshield defroster is operating. See Cold Weather Best Practices for more information on preparing for cold weather.

Reactions: DrGriz
There are two functions tied to the front defogger/defroster screen icon. For windshield defogging tap the icon once and the icon will turn blue. Air from the climate control will be directed at the windshield. For maximum defroster function tap the icon a second time. The icon will turn red. This setting will send maximum heated air to the windshield and is designed to melt snow, ice. There is a separate icon to turn on the defogger/defroster grid embedded in the rear hatch glass (there is only one setting.)

except it often doesn't recognize voice commands when the fan is on high. (along with the plethora of other issues with voice commands)

Note that there is both a defog setting as well as a defrost setting. I think the icon works the same when you put it in the app bar but I haven't verified that. From the manual:
Also, voice commands don't work in a canyon, or any other place you don't have data service. :rolleyes:

There are two functions tied to the front defogger/defroster screen icon. For windshield defogging tap the icon once and the icon will turn blue. Air from the climate control will be directed at the windshield. For maximum defroster function tap the icon a second time. The icon will turn red. This setting will send maximum heated air to the windshield and is designed to melt snow, ice. There is a separate icon to turn on the defogger/defroster grid embedded in the rear hatch glass (there is only one setting.)
For some reason the Model Y I just received only has the blue a/c option. Am I missing something? My Model 3 behaves exactly as you describe with the second push turning the icon red and working much quicker.

For some reason the Model Y I just received only has the blue a/c option. Am I missing something? My Model 3 behaves exactly as you describe with the second push turning the icon red and working much quicker.
Do you have the Climate Control turned on? I usually have my CC set to Auto. What happens if you use the Tesla app to turn on the front defroster, tap twice?

Last edited:

Customizing My Apps​

Thanks! It works, but... I cannot turn the defrost off with that icon... I moved the defrost (front) icon to the bottom without any issue, I start with the AC off. one touch turns on defrost, double touch turns on max defrost, but if I touch it again, defrost is off, but AC is still on. I started with AC off, why it doesn't go back to original status (AC off)? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Thanks! It works, but... I cannot turn the defrost off with that icon... I moved the defrost (front) icon to the bottom without any issue, I start with the AC off. one touch turns on defrost, double touch turns on max defrost, but if I touch it again, defrost is off, but AC is still on. I started with AC off, why it doesn't go back to original status (AC off)? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Because it's a defrost control, not an HVAC control. Why do you want the HVAC off anyway? Why not just leave it in Auto?

Because it's a defrost control, not an HVAC control. Why do you want the HVAC off anyway? Why not just leave it in Auto?
Interesting...let me ask you why there is an OFF button on the control?

There is no reason to leave it auto. I just want it completely off unless I turn it on or set to Auto on purpose.

This is clearly a design issue, it SHOULD go back to original status, period.

The front windshield Defogger/Defroster function (Defrost will display the icon in red) also works to defog the windows (not just the windshield) when in Defrost mode. The Tesla Model Y heat pump can send maximum heated air to the windshield and can also run the AC simultaneously to lower the humidity in the passenger cabin. I agree that the control should reset to the previous Climate Control settings when you turn off the Defrost. Most Tesla owners probably leave the Climate Control set to Auto or a preferred setting but do not as a routine have the Climate Control turned off. Reasons include passenger comfort and defogging the windows (fogging of the windows routinely happens in colder weather with the windows closed due to moisture exhaled with respiration.)

The front windshield Defogger/Defroster function (Defrost will display the icon in red) also works to defog the windows (not just the windshield) when in Defrost mode. The Tesla Model Y heat pump can send maximum heated air to the windshield and can also run the AC simultaneously to lower the humidity in the passenger cabin. I agree that the control should reset to the previous Climate Control settings when you turn off the Defrost. Most Tesla owners probably leave the Climate Control set to Auto or a preferred setting but do not as a routine have the Climate Control turned off. Reasons include passenger comfort and defogging the windows (fogging of the windows routinely happens in colder weather with the windows closed due to moisture exhaled with respiration.)
Exactly. I can understand that in summer or winter we want to turn AUTO on, so it won't be too hot or too cold. But in spring and fall, there is no reason to turn the AC on unless is needed.

Interesting...let me ask you why there is an OFF button on the control?

There is no reason to leave it auto. I just want it completely off unless I turn it on or set to Auto on purpose.

This is clearly a design issue, it SHOULD go back to original status, period.
Whatever. As @jcanoe noted, most Tesla owners (and car owners in general, I imagine) just leave the HVAC in Auto. You can easily turn it off via voice commands.