Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to return Tesla Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I purchased Tesla Model 3 one weeks back. I drove for a 10 min and backup camera stopped working. Now my car is sitting in service center and they are still not able to fix this issue. Issue is now escalated to Tesla engineering team. I dont know how long my new car will be in service center. It is almost a week now.

I live in California. I'm very frustrated with the purchase. can I return my Tesla Model 3? if yes, how to do that?

Please help.

Thank you!

Tesla no longer offers a satisfaction guarantee.
Your state requires 2 repair attempts to consider the car a lemon so keep records in case the first repair does not last and then you could make Tesla buy it back.
With the used market what it is you could probably sell it while it is still in the shop.

Are they compensating you in any way?

There are threads here where people had no use of their car for months, not to cause more dread, but you could find examples of how things went.

I’d try for a loaner (I’ve had many) but that may not be available these days either.

Hi Guys,

I purchased Tesla Model 3 one weeks back. I drove for a 10 min and backup camera stopped working. Now my car is sitting in service center and they are still not able to fix this issue. Issue is now escalated to Tesla engineering team. I dont know how long my new car will be in service center. It is almost a week now.

I live in California. I'm very frustrated with the purchase. can I return my Tesla Model 3? if yes, how to do that?

Please help.

Thank you!

You start researching Lemon Laws, as there is no "return" of the vehicle once you buy it. You will have to go through the lemon law process, if it applies. It certainly DOES NOT apply for a single attempt to repair a backup camera that the dealer / manufacturer has for 1 week, though.

can I return my Tesla Model 3?
No, and CA does not have a cooling off period. Once you drive it off the lot, it’s yours. The traditional dealerships will also have you sign/acknowledge documents to that effect.

As others said, if it bothers you that much, lemoning the car (or selling it) is your only way out. If researching the lemon laws is too onerous, speak to a lemon law attorney.

Perhaps Tesla will let you drive your car, without the backup camera, until the repair parts and strategy happens. Take it back in when they are ready to effect a repair.
+1. Why should Tesla, or any carmaker, take a car back just because the backup camera is not working - I assume you expect a full refund too? A nuisance PITA, but entirely fixable.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Tesla no longer offers a satisfaction guarantee.
Your state requires 2 repair attempts to consider the car a lemon so keep records in case the first repair does not last and then you could make Tesla buy it back.
This is 2nd attempt, they replaced back camera 2 time and updated to latest software but still same issue.
With the used market what it is you could probably sell it while it is still in the shop.

Are they compensating you in any way?
They gave me loaner but do they compensate in any way for this hassle and stress?

You start researching Lemon Laws, as there is no "return" of the vehicle once you buy it. You will have to go through the lemon law process, if it applies. It certainly DOES NOT apply for a single attempt to repair a backup camera that the dealer / manufacturer has for 1 week, though.

This is their 2nd attempt. Hope they fix this time otherwise I will have to look into this. Thank you!

+1. Why should Tesla, or any carmaker, take a car back just because the backup camera is not working - I assume you expect a full refund too? A nuisance PITA, but entirely fixable.
hope they fix soon. They replaced back camera twice and their service engineer said he dont know why it is not working, that is when I got worried.

This is 2nd attempt,
1678056967524.png

That was fast.
Lemon law it is then if you really don’t want to wait. Backup cameras are essential safety equipment.
And no they don’t compensate for anguish.