Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to set arrival SOC on tesla navigation at superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As said by @GHammer, this isn’t possible. Even more frustrating for me is destination SOC is also not settable. Tesla navigation will happily navigate you to your destination with just 10% left without consideration for charging options when you get there. The closest supercharger, heck even level 2 charger, may be MILES away. So beware. @Kimmi ’s ABRP planner to plan the “after” arrival charging scenarios is spot on.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
Upvote 0
Additionally, while you charge you can look at the estimated arrival SOC in the navigation and continue charging (ignoring the message that you can leave) until that number shows what you want to arrive at...
4b2.jpg

Upvote 0
How to set arrival SOC on tesla navigation at superchargers.
You're trying to have the tail wag the dog. The arrival % is an outcome that the car does continually calculate to show you what that projected value will be when you get there. It's a very useful value. As @GtiMart pointed out, this is basically the standard way to do this. While you're charging, (and with your next destination in Nav), and it will show on the Trips tab of the Energy app what the projected arrival % will be. That's your number. You'll kind of figure what is comfortable for you. I like to shoot for around 15-20% to be enough margin to depart. And then as I drive, I keep an eye on it, and like to make sure it doesn't drop below 10% projection. If it's going down a bit too fast as you drive, turn your cruise control down by a few mph. That will reduce the energy consumption rate, and it will adjust the projection in the next couple of minutes. You can tune your speed to keep that arrival % where you want it.

Upvote 0
Sometimes, I set an additional waypoint beyond my destination to get the system to leave me more charge when I arrive although I agree that it's usually sufficient to simply stay at the last SC until the arrival percentage is high enough for my needs. For day trips, I usually enter in an entire round trip rather than just a one-way destination so that the system will plan the charging in a workable way.

I was so glad when Tesla finally added multiple waypoints.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're trying to have the tail wag the dog. The arrival % is an outcome that the car does continually calculate to show you what that projected value will be when you get there. It's a very useful value. As @GtiMart pointed out, this is basically the standard way to do this. While you're charging, (and with your next destination in Nav), and it will show on the Trips tab of the Energy app what the projected arrival % will be. That's your number. You'll kind of figure what is comfortable for you. I like to shoot for around 15-20% to be enough margin to depart. And then as I drive, I keep an eye on it, and like to make sure it doesn't drop below 10% projection. If it's going down a bit too fast as you drive, turn your cruise control down by a few mph. That will reduce the energy consumption rate, and it will adjust the projection in the next couple of minutes. You can tune your speed to keep that arrival % where you want it.
Thank you for the response. I like my arrival SOC be around 15-20%. ABRP app allows you to set arrival SOC at each super Charger on the route while navigating. I wish Tesla navigation provides the same feature.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the response. I like my arrival SOC be around 15-20%. ABRP app allows you to set arrival SOC at each super Charger on the route while navigating. I wish Tesla navigation provides the same feature.
Tesla probably doesn’t have it because they want people to leave superchargers ASAP so more cars can use them instead of people charging longer for extra buffer they don’t realistically need.

Upvote 0
Tesla probably doesn’t have it because they want people to leave superchargers ASAP so more cars can use them instead of people charging longer for extra buffer they don’t realistically need.
You're probably right. However, I haven't always found their estimates to be a reliable as I'd like, making a feature like this attractive to me. You guys with the bigger batteries probably don't have to sweat it as much, but I've had a couple of times where the arrival estimate was wildly different than what I was able to achieve, leaving me worried about making it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In 7 years and 3 Teslas and having driven hundreds of thousands of miles, crossing the US and Canada multiple times, this has never been something I have wished for. For one, I never use the Tesla nav to plot an entire multi-stop trip, I only use it from supercharger to supercharger because the Tesla plan is often sub-optimal to downright absurd. Just ignore the "enough charge to continue message" if you dont like it and charge to whatever buffer you are comfortable with at the time given the current conditions. Unless you are at a really high state of charge, the difference in charge time between a 15% buffer and 25% buffer is pretty small (unless you have an old slow charging car like two of mine). If you are having to charge to a high state of charge there is likely an intermediate charger that would be more efficient to stop at unless you are traveling one of the notoriously underserved routes.

Upvote 0
In 7 years and 3 Teslas and having driven hundreds of thousands of miles, crossing the US and Canada multiple times, this has never been something I have wished for. For one, I never use the Tesla nav to plot an entire multi-stop trip, I only use it from supercharger to supercharger because the Tesla plan is often sub-optimal to downright absurd. Just ignore the "enough charge to continue message" if you dont like it and charge to whatever buffer you are comfortable with at the time given the current conditions. Unless you are at a really high state of charge, the difference in charge time between a 15% buffer and 25% buffer is pretty small (unless you have an old slow charging car like two of mine). If you are having to charge to a high state of charge there is likely an intermediate charger that would be more efficient to stop at unless you are traveling one of the notoriously underserved routes.
Whereas this is EXACTLY what I want because the Tesla Route Planner yesterday wanted me to charge on a Supercharger to arrive back at home with about 30% buffer. Yes - 30%!.. That would have cost me an additional £10 or so vs charging using my home tariff, AND I would have had to wait an additional 10 minutes or so at the Supercharger. Fortunately, I spotted the disconnect between what the Route Planner said and my own mental calcs and stopped the charge with only a 20% buffer (still double what I would have been happy with). Had I been sat in the car watching the Route Planner than I could have avoided it altogether, but I went to get a coffee and stretch my legs whilst the car was charging. I don't know what the normal 'buffer' is set to, but being abke to adjust it (like in ABRP) would be a huge improvement, in my opinion. Alternatively, showing the arrival SoC in the mobile app would be a good compromise.

Upvote 0
Whereas this is EXACTLY what I want because the Tesla Route Planner yesterday wanted me to charge on a Supercharger to arrive back at home with about 30% buffer. Yes - 30%!.. That would have cost me an additional £10 or so vs charging using my home tariff, AND I would have had to wait an additional 10 minutes or so at the Supercharger. Fortunately, I spotted the disconnect between what the Route Planner said and my own mental calcs and stopped the charge with only a 20% buffer (still double what I would have been happy with). Had I been sat in the car watching the Route Planner than I could have avoided it altogether, but I went to get a coffee and stretch my legs whilst the car was charging. I don't know what the normal 'buffer' is set to, but being abke to adjust it (like in ABRP) would be a huge improvement, in my opinion. Alternatively, showing the arrival SoC in the mobile app would be a good compromise.

I've noticed that lately arrival SOC has been wildly different. Once it wanted me to get somewhere at 7%, and another time 30%. A few weeks ago I charged until my SOC at arrival got to 20%, and as soon as I drove out of the parking lot it jumped to 30% at arrival. I'm not sure what weird voodoo it's using to calculate this stuff but my cynical side thinks it's doing it to get more money from supercharging. I also recently took a trip where it routed me to 150kw chargers when there were 250 ones nearby for no reason, one time wanting me to charge for 50 minutes at one of them. I now pretty much exclusively plan out my stops to 250 before I go and adjust as required while I'm on the route. When I start charging I do the math myself to figure out where I need to stop to make it to my next stop with my desired SOC at arrival.

Upvote 0
I've noticed that lately arrival SOC has been wildly different. Once it wanted me to get somewhere at 7%, and another time 30%. A few weeks ago I charged until my SOC at arrival got to 20%, and as soon as I drove out of the parking lot it jumped to 30% at arrival. I'm not sure what weird voodoo it's using to calculate this stuff but my cynical side thinks it's doing it to get more money from supercharging. I also recently took a trip where it routed me to 150kw chargers when there were 250 ones nearby for no reason, one time wanting me to charge for 50 minutes at one of them. I now pretty much exclusively plan out my stops to 250 before I go and adjust as required while I'm on the route. When I start charging I do the math myself to figure out where I need to stop to make it to my next stop with my desired SOC at arrival.
I also had the thought that this was an opportunity for Tesla to make more money by over-charging at the Supercharger, but can that really be the case? I don’t often use the public charging network, so I’ll defer to your experience with ‘random’ SoC values

Upvote 0
I use ABRP to decide the optimum charging strategy for long trips and then tell the Tesla Nav the specific charger location I'll be going to next.
I also *could* use ABRP (and have done in the past), but (AFAIK) it doesn’t use current weather conditions and/or live traffic updates, so the car *should* be the most accurate predictor of arrival SoC based on these factors and recent driving style.

Maybe the Tesla software team should spend less time on pointless fart noises & light show nonsense, and improve stuff like this.
While they’re at it they could give me:
- the parking sensing that I didn’t delete (anyone seen Tesla Vision?)
- windscreen wipers that respond to actual weather conditions
- matrix lights that do more than spell ‘Tesla’ on my garage door
- ‘autopilot’ that doesn’t appear to be scared of its own shadow (phantom braking nightmares)
I don’t need more games or other gimmicks, I just want the basic stuff to work properly, like in the 8-year-old car that I replaced (a Skoda Octavia, part of the VW group, since you’re interested!)

Upvote 0
I also had the thought that this was an opportunity for Tesla to make more money by over-charging at the Supercharger, but can that really be the case? I don’t often use the public charging network, so I’ll defer to your experience with ‘random’ SoC values
Probably just me being cynical, but it had the effect of getting more money to Tesla. I can imagine if you bump up the arrival SOC ever so slightly across thousands of cars the increase in revenue would be substantial though.

Upvote 0
As said by @GHammer, this isn’t possible. Even more frustrating for me is destination SOC is also not settable. Tesla navigation will happily navigate you to your destination with just 10% left without consideration for charging options when you get there. The closest supercharger, heck even level 2 charger, may be MILES away. So beware. @Kimmi ’s ABRP planner to plan the “after” arrival charging scenarios is spot on.
You have to be very careful on multi-day trips where you need to have some charge left after reaching each day's destination (and possibly driving around a bit) so as to make it to the next supercharger safely.

Upvote 0