TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

How to set the liftgate to fully open?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by beths11, Jul 3, 2017.

1. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

I believe Tesla has recently changed the software causing my FWD and Liftgate to only open to a 3/4 position.
    The FWD allows me to set an "open fully here" option, but there is no such option for the liftgate/trunk.

I tried the procedure outlined in the manual "put the door at the desired height. Press and hold the trunk button until the setting chime is heard. Test" I open the door fully, press and hold the button. The chime rings. I close the trunk and then it reopens 3/4 of the way.

It is crazy that I open the trunk and then have to push it fully open. What am I not understanding?

2. MasterT

MasterT Member

Page 12 of the owner's manual:

upload_2017-7-3_9-47-36.png

• Disagree x 1
  3. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

Yes, I mentioned in my post that I had read the manual and followed those steps. They do not work for setting the trunk to a fully open position. I believe it was written when the trunk fully opened automatically and if you wished to set it to a lower height.

4. MasterT

MasterT Member

Try setting FWD to "fully open" at this location as iirc the liftgate uses FWD upward sensor to determine clearance

• Informative x 1
  5. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

#5 beths11, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    I do not want the FWD to fully open at this location. Only the trunk. Interesting idea though. And now that I have thought about it, there is a second location where I do have the FWD set to "fully open" and the trunk still only opens 3/4 of the way (just banged my head yesterday).

6. outie

outie Active Member

This location? Are you inside a building / garage? Is there a low overhead ceiling? If so, the trunk will not fully open because it reads from the top fwd sensors as well.

7. Nerdy_Engineer

Nerdy_Engineer Brett - The Nerdy Engineer

I remember reading that the trunk height is paired with the falcon wing door height. I think the instructions in the manual are from the Model S and nobody realized that the Model X was different when making the manual. I wish you could set the trunk height the way the manual says, although, I think Tesla is concerned about the trunk hitting an object when opening since there isn't a sensor in the trunk.

• Informative x 1
  8. animorph

animorph Member

Of course the manual, as quoted above, only says you can manually lower the trunk, not raise it. Not how I remember earlier owners setting trunk height higher, but consistent with this thread.

9. Alset72

Alset72 Member

I had the exact same issue when I picked up my MX a few weeks ago. Finally I figured out that the reason was that the MX was detecting it was in a garage or trees were detected as obstacles, so it opened FWD and trunk to 3/4 height only. The manual adjustment of the trunk door to as described in the manual would not work.

I solved this by selecting the FWD to fully open in this location. It appears FWD and trunk height are linked together. Would be good to be able to set this separately but for me it's not that big of an issue.

• Informative x 1
  10. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

thank you all for the replies @Alset72 , @animorph , @Nerdy_Engineer , and @outie . After a lengthy discussion with the service center concierge you are all correct. In an earlier update the trunk lift height has been paired with the FWD which now only go 3/4 open. This is ridiculous! I don't open the FWD under the carport, but I open the trunk 2x a day at least. I am so tired of banging my head or having to force the tailgate open. Tesla, please give me a separate control for the tailgate with a button that says "open the tailgate fully all the time in this location." The current set up of pairing the FWD with the tailgate does not work.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1