Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to stop using home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how easy are these to enable/disable locks? If you're going away for a couple of weeks fine (and I can dial into my zappi remotely if I wanted to see if it was being used), but some are a pain to unlock each time and not something I'd want to do every day

Also the Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector can be configured to only change specific cars, which is a nice feature.

That's pretty cool - I didn't know it could do that. It makes sense, though, and could be a good feature in public parking garages that businesses use to store and charge their fleet Teslas.

Install a security camera that notifies you that someone is there?
I think a cheap and cheerful webcam might be helpful here if concerned about others using your charger.

As homes usually only have 7kw chargers, they would have to be there for quite sometime to get any reasonable benefit out of it, an hour at 30p/kw would cost you about £2. A cheap standalone security camera would probably be about £30 pounds, so 15hrs worth of someone charging during the day at the said rate.

Probably easier to switch it off for holidays through app or board.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Honestly I did think this would be an issue when I first got an EV after 18 months of ownership i'm a lot more relaxed - they would have to be there for a long while to get a good charge, enough time that neighbours would have gone out to see what was going on plus I would get notified if someone came onto my drive via my ring cameras and if push came to shove I could remotely change the access on my podpoint to say only charge at 3am until 3:15am so even if they were pluggged in overnight they'd only get 15 mins of 7kw charge.

No brainer really, no need for lockouts etc. it'll be even less of a chance when all new builds come with them.

It'll soon be like having outside water tap, how many times has someone come in to borrow some water?

Random question and it’s not happened yet, but what is to stop someone parking up on my drive (while I’m away) and taking a full charge at my expense? The charger isn’t on full display and I guess you’d have to know it’s there / see me charging, but shy of killing the trip switch when I’m away for weeks / months at a time, is there anything I can do?
The RCD is supposed to be regularly tested by manually tripping … I bet that like everyone else you never bother… so even if at no other time just use this as the opportunity to trip the RCD if you are away for a while.

…and…. I’ve never read of this happening ie someone charging on you charge point.

Reactions: init6
Random question and it’s not happened yet, but what is to stop someone parking up on my drive (while I’m away) and taking a full charge at my expense? The charger isn’t on full display and I guess you’d have to know it’s there / see me charging, but shy of killing the trip switch when I’m away for weeks / months at a time, is there anything I can do?

Yes, encourage it 😁

What's your address, and when are you away? 😇

Reactions: M1tch and init6
Had a wallbox pulsar fitted this week (not used yet) but you can lock it from the app.

Quite impressed by this feature, at least until the moat is excavated...

1645654128169.png

My charger won’t start unless you use the app so just plugging in and hitting the start button does nothing (Charged EV using Project EV app). I wouldn’t recommend either though lol, Charged EV customer service is terrible, Project EV app is clunky, difficult to use and timed charges hit n miss (never know if you’ll be charged or not in a morning). Consequently we plug in & start charge just before going to sleep, check to make sure it’s actually started.

You are all going about this the wrong way. Best to sub the problem out to Zap map home charging, use a camera to catch any number plates that don't pay then sue them to high heaven for not following the published T&C's.

(I just checked the zap-home pages s I thought they managed it a bit more than they actually do, and would interface with the charger to disable it unless you or an authorised payer were charging. But it seems not - just a peer to peer trust network :( ).

Reactions: init6
You are all going about this the wrong way. Best to sub the problem out to Zap map home charging, use a camera to catch any number plates that don't pay then sue them to high heaven for not following the published T&C's.

(I just checked the zap-home pages s I thought they managed it a bit more than they actually do, and would interface with the charger to disable it unless you or an authorised payer were charging. But it seems not - just a peer to peer trust network :( ).
I have cctv covering mine anyway, if anyone tried it I have ways of finding their address…..tyres can be expensive when all 4 develop punctures🤫

Hahaha, some great ideas there!

I have the Tesla home charger so unable to lock through the app at the moment, but would be a great update in future. I also didn’t lock it to just Tesla cars as customers to my wife’s photography studio (in the garden) get free use while on a pre-booked session.

I have cameras so will capture video of anyone who does use it, but rarely have Wi-Fi while away so won’t know until I’m back. It’s not often the house is empty anyway so probably not a huge issue, just wondered if there was a solution. Currently I’m in the Middle East with work and the wife is on half term holiday with my little boy which is what prompted the question.

Last edited by a moderator: