Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to suggest a new location? (Newhalem)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to do some hikes along route-20, and while it's technically possible, it's not easy in my M3P (involves slow driving and/or level-2 charging, and/or supercharging to 100%). I think Seattle City Light would support fast chargers at the power station at Newhalem (per inquiry), but I'm not sure if they'd be interested in a proprietary-only charger... but it likely wouldn't hurt to ask.

How do other people do that route?

How could we poke Tesla to see if they can put a supercharger there?

Agreed, the North Cascades is one of the most difficult areas to explore with the closest superchargers being in Burlington or Arlington.

I always charge up to 100% at Burlington when heading up. I camped overnight to get an early start at Cutthroat Pass and I had to stop for a bit at the free L2 charger in Newhalem to make sure I had enough to get back to Burlington. I didn't even use camp mode because I couldn't afford to lose anymore battery. At least the L2 is 11kw and I got a decent 37mi/hr but the last thing you want to do on your way home is sit at a slow charger.

Before I discovered the Newhalem chargers, I figured I'd have to head to Mazama or Winthrop for a destination charger to get back. This is why I think all NP should have chargers at their visitor centers or somewhere in the parks. Even if a supercharger is located just outside the park, it often doesn't leave much range to explore or camp overnight, especially when you add in elevation.

Newhalem seems like the logical place to build a supercharger but I have no idea how to request them. It's a tough one to justify though since SR20 is closed for half the year and likely wouldn't be worth the investment.

You can check out the planned supercharger map which shows there is a SuC planned for Okanogan in 2022 but ABRP says that even with a 100% charge at Burlington, you wouldn't make the 172mi. trip it to Okanogan. In other words, you wouldn't even be able to utilize it for crossing N.Cascades on SR20.

Last edited:
Reactions: bruce4000
You can check out the planned supercharger map which shows there is a SuC planned for Okanogan in 2022 but ABRP says that even with a 100% charge at Burlington, you wouldn't make the 172mi. trip it to Okanogan. In other words, you wouldn't even be able to utilize it for crossing N.Cascades on SR20.
I think that leg is pretty doable in good conditions for most Teslas. It’s pretty easy to achieve rated range or better with the slow speeds on that road, and the elevation gain is less than a thousand ft. We’ve done the reverse trip from Okanogan to Burlington (slightly downhill)in a 2019 m3 sr+ and had plenty of range to spare. And if conditions are suboptimal, there are lots of L2 charging options along the way.

I think that leg is pretty doable in good conditions for most Teslas. It’s pretty easy to achieve rated range or better with the slow speeds on that road, and the elevation gain is less than a thousand ft. We’ve done the reverse trip from Okanogan to Burlington (slightly downhill)in a 2019 m3 sr+ and had plenty of range to spare. And if conditions are suboptimal, there are lots of L2 charging options along the way.
Yea not sure what settings I had when checking on ABRP but you're right. However, my ideal scenario when visiting a NP is camping overnight and exploring multiples trails over a weekend which isn't possible w/o leaving the park to recharge.

I was able to make it once already, in my M3P with a ~95% charge in Bellingham, a long lunch in Newhalem on the L2 charger, and a lot of hypermileing. I'd love to be able to do it with less stress.

But no suggestions on how to suggest a place to Tesla, when you're not the owner?

Reactions: PNWLeccy