Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to tell when the rear brake lights are on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's subjective whether you want brake light on or not, but when I slow on the freeway from anything over 50MPH, I don't want brake lights coming on. Especially if I was speeding and need to slow down quickly for some particular reason - maybe a cop in another lane.

Slow down quickly on an electric car (particulary with 60kW regen power) is similar to press the brake on an ICE car. In this case I absolutely want the brake light ON !
In my last model S test drive, I asked about the brake light behavior under regen situation, he told me "I believe nothing happen, brake light stay OFF". I wasn't happy with this answer, but I am reassured now. I absolutely want the brake light ON when the pedal is lift off completely.
With one pedal driving it's really easy to never have to completely lift off the pedal on >30MPH road, thus keep the brake light OFF is really easy in normal driving situation.
If you have to lift off completely the pedal, it's because you want to brake (with full regen with electric car and brake on ICE car), thus IMO light must becomes ON.

You probably don't really feel that a 60kW regen power on highway (complete pedal lift off) is a pretty high deceleration compared to an ICE and can be very dangerous if someone is behind you at low distance.

Yes, a lot of people have mentioned that. It disappeared in either 5.0 or 5.6.

The brake lights are still visible elsewhere on the 17" screen... (Couldn't remember which screen, as mentioned below it's the charging screen, Thanks guys!)

Last edited: