Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How urgent is "12V battery degraded" warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today my wife's Model 3 displayed a dialog saying the 12V battery has degraded and should be serviced. The car is 3 years old, so I know it's not unusual to have to replace the battery at this point, but I was wondering how urgent the replacement is. There have been no symptoms of 12V battery issues, and this is the first time that message appeared.

I scheduled a service appointment, but the only available dates (for mobile service) were while we're out of town. Any reason this couldn't wait until January if we don't drive much before then? I'll keep the car plugged in while we're out of town.

IMO you are lucky to have received a warning at all, as it seems that "most" dont. If you dont plan on using the car at all, it could theoretically wait, but you run the real risk of walking out there one morning and the car not starting / moving, and needing to be towed to the service center (lots of reports of that with model 3 12V battery failure), or replacing it yourself.

I would treat it the warning as "the car will randomly stop working sometime in the near future if I dont replace this", and then plan accordingly.

Upvote 0
IMO you are lucky to have received a warning at all, as it seems that "most" dont. If you dont plan on using the car at all, it could theoretically wait, but you run the real risk of walking out there one morning and the car not starting / moving, and needing to be towed to the service center (lots of reports of that with model 3 12V battery failure), or replacing it yourself.

I would treat it the warning as "the car will randomly stop working sometime in the near future if I dont replace this", and then plan accordingly.
💯 this…

I’d replace immediately and be ready with a 9v and a jump starter in the meantime. There are great threads here about preparing with A23 batteries behind the 12v frunk cover.

Upvote 0
I have a 2018 M3 Long Range RWD EAP, delivered July 2018. I received the same warning 2 days ago on my way to a doctor's appointment. I was going to continue when I noticed that the heater wasn't working. At that point I decided to turn around and take our other car, a 2016 Toyota Camry. That was not to be, as well. The toyota's battery picked that time to die as well. I canceled the doctors appointment. I then drove to the local Tesla service center (no appointment). As usual they too good care of me and replaced the battery, under warranty, in about an hour.

Upvote 0
I also got the message. Right around the 24month mark. I took it serious and booked the next avail mobile visit (2 work days). I didn’t get stranded. I was happy. Short story shorter: take it as a sign from the Tesla gods. Get battery swapped out (if under warranty). If not under warranty I’d strongly consider going aftermarket.

Reactions: Airgetlam
Upvote 0
Today my wife's Model 3 displayed a dialog saying the 12V battery has degraded and should be serviced. The car is 3 years old, so I know it's not unusual to have to replace the battery at this point, but I was wondering how urgent the replacement is. There have been no symptoms of 12V battery issues, and this is the first time that message appeared.

I scheduled a service appointment, but the only available dates (for mobile service) were while we're out of town. Any reason this couldn't wait until January if we don't drive much before then? I'll keep the car plugged in while we're out of town.
I would have Tesla give me a battery since it is warranty and I would install it. If they squabble, it's only $85 way cheaper than being stuck in a dead car.

Upvote 0
The symptom of a 12V battery issue is the car won't start. As others have said, you are lucky you got a warning. See if Mobile Service is available, use Road Side assistance to schedule. I would not drive the car until the battery is replaced, or you can leave Sentry Mode on all the time so the car won't sleep until you get it replaced.

Reactions: Koolio46
Upvote 0
I received the same warning about my 12V battery last month. I continued to drive the car. And about 3 days later, my Model 3 bricked in my garage. I could not get into my car to get my stuff out and I was too lazy to try to jump it. I scheduled for a next available mobile service appointment and it was 10 days later. I waited for 10 days. When the Tesla technician came, he told us that I should have driven to the closest Tesla Service center for them to change out the 12v battery as soon as I saw the warning on the screen.

My car was 3 years old and the 12v battery was still under warranty and Tesla changed it for free under warranty. Had my 12v battery been out of warranty, I would have changed the 12v to Lithium battery myself instead of waiting for 10 days.

If you still have power in your Model 3, you should roll down your windows and open the front trunk so that you can still have access to your stuff in the car and make it easier to jump or change out the 12v battery, in case the battery dies.

Upvote 0
I got the message just before my 3 year anniversary. Having always had car batteries die at in opportune times on their third birthday, I wasted no time in getting it replaced. Iirc, Tesla didn’t have anything available for a few weeks so I just did it myself. The battery was maybe $150 at batteries plus and install was no different really than a legacy ICE replacement. Was very thankful for the warning!

Reactions: pnwadventures
Upvote 0
My Dec 2016 S90D gave the same warning last week. Nearly 5 full years on the original 12V battery is not bad! Scheduled service in Scottsdale and they replaced it while I waited. I must say how happy I am this car has never let me down without warning in time to schedule service as it requested.

Upvote 0
I got the message just before my 3 year anniversary. Having always had car batteries die at in opportune times on their third birthday, I wasted no time in getting it replaced. Iirc, Tesla didn’t have anything available for a few weeks so I just did it myself. The battery was maybe $150 at batteries plus and install was no different really than a legacy ICE replacement. Was very thankful for the warning!
Did thr new battery have vent connection for the hose? Why $150? Only $85 at Tesla and no core.

Upvote 0
Tesla Mobile Service came out this afternoon and replaced the 12V battery. The car was still alive so he didn't have to "break" in. The whole thing took less than 10 minutes. He also recalibrated the driver's side window, because my attempt to open it yesterday while the car was dead messed up the calibration.

I asked about our Model S 12V battery, since that car's the same age as the 3. He said the S 12V battery was different, and once the car warns me that the battery needs service, I should have at least a week before it actually dies. He said if I get the warning, they'll try to service it within 24 hours. He didn't do anything with the S today.

This was my first Mobile Service experience, since I'm not far from a Service Center. I was impressed.

Upvote 0
Did thr new battery have vent connection for the hose? Why $150? Only $85 at Tesla and no core.
It did have the vent connector. I shopped that size of battery between the various auto parts stores and batteries plus and the going rate was always $150-200, which really hasn’t been out of the normal for any of the batteries I’ve dealt with in recent years. I probably could have had Tesla do it under warranty but the added stress of waiting for an appointment and all of that simply wasn’t worth it. It was much better to have it done and know I wouldn’t be stuck at the wrong time in the wrong place.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0