Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How was your model 3 quality when you took delivery?

Quality poll

• Mine must have been inspected by Elon himself.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • Mine appeared to have been inspected by a veteran QC tech.

Votes: 91 48.4%
  • Mine appeared to have been inspected by a drunk QC tech

Votes: 31 16.5%
  • The QC inspector of my car probably got fired

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • The QC inspector must have been absent when my car was finished

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • What QC inspection?

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • The QC inspector must be the spouse of the person I had an affair with

Votes: 12 6.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thing that surprised me most is that it wasn’t freshly washed before delivery.
You got yours in a very rushed period, end of Q or something? Any time I've been by the local Service Center (which is also a Supercharging location) and there were cars in their normal pick-up spot, which are the stalls right in front of the door, they've been nothing but shine.

As for the poll, nitpicking I found a couple of panel/trim alignment things I wanted fixed and also loose rear wheel well cowlings, but that was me being picky. I think Tesla made a mid-stream assembly change that lead to the later. <edit> Oh, I guess I'd rather the windshield be perfectly aligned with the roof glass all the way across, rather than just most of the way across as it is now. But QA inspection isn't going to do squat about that, that's further back-process that that needs to get sorted.

I'd put that somewhere between "veteran" and "drunk". Why no "functioning alcoholic veteran" option? :p

I don't think they ever inspected mine.

First car had 3 large paint chips (something had obviously hit it), and a door ding dent on the drivers side. (Rejected it).
Second car had a paint chip on the edge of the door like something had been slammed in it, and it also had a scratch down to the bare metal on the inside of the door frame. Also had a misaligned trunk and frunk, and a door that had to be slammed to close.

I ended up taking the second car because it was better than the first and I had already sold my daily driver so I needed a car :(.
The repaint was pretty close and they were able to fix the other issues, but it spend 6 weeks at the body shop followed by another 4-5 visits to fix all the broken clips in the doors where the body shop had removed the panels, scratched the window etc. Trunk broken clip rattle fixed, then noticed the rear door doing the same thing. Had that one fixed, only to have it pop up in the front door. Then the rear door another broken clip and the front door took 2 more visits to fix a rattle the service department caused by not assembling it back together correctly!

One of my doors is still not flush, and there's some fisheys in the paint and crack in the paint (but it's on the underside of the trunk so probably not an issue).

Now I just need to resolve the rest of the rattles. Quality is certainly lacking in my performance model. Still love the car, but no one should have to deal with all this on such an expensive purchase.

You go get 'em tiger! Look for EVERY imperfection on your car...know each one intimately and in graphic detail. Loose sleep over it. Obsess about it. And your point is?

Teslas are made by humans. Humans are imperfect. Teslas are imperfect (and so has every other car I have owned including Ferrari's, BMW's, Audi's...). That said, my P3D drives like no other car that has come before it at this price point (or any price point for that matter). I can live with a few dust specs in my paint...

The issue for me is not the cosmetic imperfections. My car had quite a few but I can live with that stuff. My issues are around assembly, or lack thereof. Tesla have fixed numerous things on my car that were not put together right at the factory and it's not even all fixed. My car makes an awful lot of noise (clunks, rubbing noises, rattles, buzzes, wind around A pillars) for a $60,000 car.

Being derisive and dismissive of people who have legitimate problems IS a problem. These cars aren't cheap. Mine cost more than my last BMW.

Does it drive great? Absolutely it does, and when it is not driving me nuts with all the noises it makes I love the driving experience.

What happens when you reject a car at delivery?

I assume the delivery staff get pretty annoyed. And then you go to the back of the queue and wait for a new car to be made in your config? For some reason, I doubt they'd offer loaners if you rejected a car based on paint flaws, but I hope I'm wrong.

Being derisive and dismissive of people who have legitimate problems IS a problem.

Just for the record: while I stand on record for being dismissive of people worrying about the absolute value of the width of panel gaps (if you think that's important then you should rank manufacturers accordingly), I think noise issues are legitimate problems.

It was the bane of all my Fords, which seemed to develop these creaks and rattles always just after they went out of warranty, and in ways that always seemed to baffle the local service centre -- to be fair my 2012 Ford Focus was a lot better, though, except for a misdesigned glue for the door rubbers.

Wind noises are often like death and taxes, even though installing a few extra rubbers have dramatically cut down on wind noise in my car. I'll agree that for a car with that Cx value it isn't particularly devoid of wind noise, although of course the lack of engine noise makes it a lot more apparent than on ICE vehicles.

Knocking on wood, though, I had neither paint, assembly nor noise issues in my car (despite looking for them, since I had been spending some time on this forum), so to tell me that it's my fault --"you weren't obsessive enough"-- that Tesla poorly assembled someone else's vehicle is a bit rich (that is not in response to you, BTW).

In many of these cases I'm more worried about the apparent ability of SeCs to repeatedly fix problems only to cause others, to be frank. At my SeC they seem to have inspected the car and fixed some problems (in sunlight you can just about see some swirl marks but nothing that would have indicated some aggressive treatment) and not caused any. And yes, it was washed, vacuumed, and looked as brand new as you can expect.

Last edited:
You got yours in a very rushed period, end of Q or something? Any time I've been by the local Service Center (which is also a Supercharging location) and there were cars in their normal pick-up spot, which are the stalls right in front of the door, they've been nothing but shine.

As for the poll, nitpicking I found a couple of panel/trim alignment things I wanted fixed and also loose rear wheel well cowlings, but that was me being picky. I think Tesla made a mid-stream assembly change that lead to the later. <edit> Oh, I guess I'd rather the windshield be perfectly aligned with the roof glass all the way across, rather than just most of the way across as it is now. But QA inspection isn't going to do squat about that, that's further back-process that that needs to get sorted.

I'd put that somewhere between "veteran" and "drunk". Why no "functioning alcoholic veteran" option? :p
I picked it up on 5/18, which was a Saturday. It was a new inventory car instead of a custom order. Both of those things are reasons why it may have been rushed. That said, I still think having it washed is a reasonable expectation.

Reactions: SammichLover
I've never heard of anyone getting a loaner on rejection. Loaners if you accept w/understanding of repairs, yes. But if you don't accept delivery at all then of course you don't have a car from Tesla and why would they give you a loaner?

I was just wondering if they integrate the process. You want a new car, instead of the reject which will be refurbished to a questionable degree - so they make you leave, and then you have to order a new car online and it's like it's totally separate?

I have heard that deposits for a cancelled order are easily transferred to other orders. But who knows what happens when you reject delivery? Do they close the door on you, and you start the process independently all over again?

Two main issues:
Driver side rear door needs moved in a bit at the hinges (sticks out a bit).
Top roof glass misaligned by enough (left to right) to give me pause about installing a roof rack (concerned that bracket would rub against class too much on one side, plus slight imbalance on glass load over time).

Two minor issues
Some very small paint chips and one very minor paint imperfections upon delivery (let it go since the finish was other otherwise fine, and the chip I can address myself)
License plate body nut needed replaced (tightened too much when installing the temp tag)

Both main issues were noted early on, twice now, but no response yet. Been traveling too much for work so going to revisit in July to try and get them addressed.

I picked it up on 5/18, which was a Saturday. It was a new inventory car instead of a custom order. Both of those things are reasons why it may have been rushed. That said, I still think having it washed is a reasonable expectation.
I picked mine up from the new inventory in Denver on 5/18. I had tried to purchase it the Saturday before, but Tesla wouldn't release it because all their detail guys left for the day when I decided to pull the trigger. FWIW, I was told they wouldn't release a car without it being detailed. Now they did have an extra week before I could make the trip back to pick it up so maybe that made the difference (or more likely, it's variable by delivery/service center).

With that said, I had three small issues: one small scratch on the rear passenger door where it looked like someone was careless with the buffer, a wire was showing when folding down the rear driver side seat, and a scuff on the plastic just inside the driver door sill. They fixed the first two issues immediately. I need to get in touch with service about the scuffed plastic.

I was just wondering if they integrate the process. You want a new car, instead of the reject which will be refurbished to a questionable degree - so they make you leave, and then you have to order a new car online and it's like it's totally separate?

I have heard that deposits for a cancelled order are easily transferred to other orders. But who knows what happens when you reject delivery? Do they close the door on you, and you start the process independently all over again?
I actually had to cancel my original order (07/18) and resubmit in October. My purchase associate was still assigned to me and my initial down payment was trasferred to the new order. It was pretty transparent.

Reactions: cadetsea
My 3 previous VW's, I purchased were, Immaculately Clean, windows were cleaned both inside and out, etc etc. NOT my Model 3.
My model 3 arrived in the yard 10 min before, my brief introductory review, from a storage yard....Yikes!