Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How well does a new 2022 MYP ride?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was having a conversation with someone on Reddit about the ride quality of the new Model Ys and there was a comment about the new Model Y performance cars riding significantly better than the older cars. Speculation is that there was a recent suspension change contributing to this, but nothing documented.

Can anyone else comment or confirm this? How does your new '22 MYP ride?

(I'm still trying to decide between a LR and Performance. The price differential when you start modifying the LR, is very small)

Screenshot 2022-03-09 084847.jpg

I was having a conversation with someone on Reddit about the ride quality of the new Model Ys and there was a comment about the new Model Y performance cars riding significantly better than the older cars. Speculation is that there was a recent suspension change contributing to this, but nothing documented.

(I'm still trying to decide between a LR and Performance. The price differential when you start modifying the LR, is very small)

View attachment 778680
We have not seen a change in part numbers so not sure how that is possible.

We have not seen a change in part numbers so not sure how that is possible.
Tesla doesn't always change part numbers unless it's a specific difference or function or legal requirement, think the heated rearview mirrors vs auto-dimming, on the early Y's. What will happen is that there's a " Revision" mark indicating the change but that's only found on the part and maybe on the service notes on the tech portal for service. A good example I can provide is the internal pillar cover, in my old 2020 Y, these early ones tended to pop out due to the clips and plastic lengths, they revised the part and when the tech came had to modify it a bit so it fitted the older one, the new part worked and had original part # but was revision "D", so it had indeed changed. Same in computer boards, it's very common. I will add a caveat as well, they did change later in for 2021 YPUP the tires from Pirelli to Michelin and just doing caused better feel, so it can be small changes as well.

This is very subjective and cannot be quantified by "feelings". For those car guys, it is not stiff enough, and for those non car guys, it is bone shattering awful ride. At this price point and vehicle weight, MY cannot have adjustable dampers without substantially increasing the price, but then it will be too close to MX territory. The worst thing you want to do is 4500 lb car with soft suspension with tall sidewall tires. you will lose control and crash very easily.

View attachment 778680
You should test drive one at the Tesla Store. They probably have a demo unit now. I’ve got a MYLR with base rims, and on bumpy roads the ride isn’t great. It’s okay on the highway. My Subaru Ascent has a much better ride on 20” wheels. It depends on your expectations and requirements.

Reactions: RNHurt and jebinc
You should test drive one at the Tesla Store. They probably have a demo unit now. I’ve got a MYLR with base rims, and on bumpy roads the ride isn’t great. It’s okay on the highway. My Subaru Ascent has a much better ride on 20” wheels. It depends on your expectations and requirements.
I drove a '21 LR about 6 months ago and was perfectly happy with the ride (so was my wife). We currently have a '13 MS that rides significantly worse than the new MY LR.

View attachment 778680

I have a 2021 MYP and a 2022 MYP both on Pirellis at 45PSI - when I first got into the bumpy part of the highway I drive daily I noticed the 2022 wasn't bobbing like the 2021. However, going over bumps in parking lots the cars feel similar. I'm still not 100% convinced there has been a change but I initially felt like there was. A bit vague but hope that helps

Reactions: deepbluejh
How does a BMW M3 ride feel? How about a AMG C43? A Porsche Macan GTS? Check any of their respective online forums and you’ll see the exact same ride quality threads… Is the suspension too harsh? Is it gonna be comfortable over potholed roads? Can I apply my lipstick while doing 0-60 in 3.5s? Come on people… If you want ride quality go buy a S class Mercedes. The MYP is a damn performance car, it’s literally in the name of the model!

BTW…
MYP faster than all those mentioned.

I have a 2021 MYP and a 2022 MYP both on Pirellis at 45PSI - when I first got into the bumpy part of the highway I drive daily I noticed the 2022 wasn't bobbing like the 2021. However, going over bumps in parking lots the cars feel similar. I'm still not 100% convinced there has been a change but I initially felt like there was. A bit vague but hope that helps
Is 45psi too harsh? I would think 40psi would absorb those minor bumps a bit better? Perhaps at a cost of 5-6 miles range. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I have an MYP coming and thinking to keep them around 39/40 to smoothen it out a tad bit. My 22’ M3 LR I’ve reduced my 18’s to 38psi and huge diff from 44. When I put my summer 19’s on I’ll likely go 40 instead of 45.