Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How well does the glass roof reflect heat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is available in the app. Go to Climate, then drag up the bottom panel to expose more settings including Overheat.
Thanks for that tip, I had tried several times to drag the bottom panel up but the whole screen kept swiping upward. I just now tried again and as long as I do it carefully and slowly it works! That will come in handyt when I forget to reset the overheat when my wife is driving!

Here we go again. Ppl keep insisting Tesla made a car that can't stay in the sun and needs constant cooling. Ice car get just as hot and even without the glass roof. Why do you think kids and pets die inside car every year cause some dumb parents forgot them? Even at 80 degrees inside a car without glass roof will get dangerously hot. Ice car have computer chip too. Ppl need to stop it. It's a car. Stop overthinking it. You don't need constant cooling to baby the car. If it need to, like the battery, Tesla would have done something about it instead of depending on us to manually cool it by turning the AC on at all time on hot day. Just turn on the AC 5 to 10 minutes before you get inside and you will be fine.

Interesting! Here is a quote from Normal CPU Temperature: How Hot Is Too Hot For CPU - CPUTemper
"The average Intel & AMD desktop processors should not exceed the safe/normal CPU temperature range of 45-50°C when idle...."
That is around 122F

Intel specifies the operating temp of the atom processor as -40º C to +85º C

According to AMD the maximum operating temp for the Ryzen 5995 is 95° C. (I don’t know exactly what model processor Tesla uses. for applications such as this they would typically use a processor with a more extended allowable operating temperature.)

Last edited:
I truly don't understand why you guys want to have ur AC on to keep cabin below a certain temperature when you are not even in the car. I am sure I am missing something when reading this thread.

I mean when you guys had ICE cars did you leave your car running all day while you were in the office.

Please someone help me understand or educate me on this...

I truly don't understand why you guys want to have ur AC on to keep cabin below a certain temperature when you are not even in the car. I am sure I am missing something when reading this thread.

I mean when you guys had ICE cars did you leave your car running all day while you were in the office.

Please someone help me understand or educate me on this...
OK I'll try. When the interior reaches 120 and above, it puts the touch screen at major risk of serious damage. Much like fire does, heat will destroy things. It's funny how so many people here say that dark tint helps the car keep cool, it most certainly does not. Tints block light, not heat. Just touch the glass roof on a hot day and you'll understand. Elon should be putting solar panels on the roof, not glass.

Reactions: Klau2 and sleepydoc
Processor chips are available in different operating temperature ranges. Desktop processors are spec'd at lower temps than those made for automotive or military applications.
The overheat protection was installed for a purpose, that being to protect interior components inside the car from excessive heat and possible long term damage. It was not installed to provide comfort for the driver returning to the car. The most important interior component is the computer as well as the screen and thus the option to have Overheat protection as an option for those who prefer to err on the safe side. Its a matter of personal choice.

The overheat protection was installed for a purpose, that being to protect interior components inside the car from excessive heat and possible long term damage.

That's not really the reason.

Overheat protection was implemented for safety in case a child or animal was left in the car. That's why it turns off in 12 hours and why it's under the Safety menu.

Elon tweeted about this feature (in 2017 ?) and the reason for it right after it was implemented. The tweet has actually been posted on this forum multiple times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Klau2 and sleepydoc
That's not really the reason.

Overheat protection was implemented for safety in case a child or animal was left in the car. That's why it turns off in 12 hours and why it's under the Safety menu.

Elon tweeted about this feature (in 2017 ?) and the reason for it right after it was implemented. The tweet has actually been posted on this forum multiple times.
OK, interesting! Any references to Tesla or Elon stating that would be appreciated. 105F degrees seems pretty high for child or dog protection if that was the intent. Thanks

The overheat protection was installed for a purpose, that being to protect interior components inside the car from excessive heat and possible long term damage. It was not installed to provide comfort for the driver returning to the car. The most important interior component is the computer as well as the screen and thus the option to have Overheat protection as an option for those who prefer to err on the safe side. Its a matter of personal choice.
If it was necessary to protect the components it would not be optional and you could not turn it off. Please show me in the manual where it says you need to keep the interior temp under a specified temp.

Reactions: DrGriz and Klau2
I guess they updated the coating or something because some of the comments about sweating and baking heads just don't make any sense for my car. My MYP is brand new and built June 2022, you can look directly at the overhead sun through it (I can’t do this with my sunglasses), and no perceptible heat comes through while sitting or driving.
I wonder if this is true. My friend just got a 2022 Model S and I noticed his sunroof is much darker than my 2021 Model Y. Did the 2022 MY get darker as well? I find the heat so objectionable that I cover the entire roof with a Heatshield product. I am very happy with the result.

If it was necessary to protect the components it would not be optional and you could not turn it off. Please show me in the manual where it says you need to keep the interior temp under a specified temp.
Please show me in the manual where it explains the purpose of the Overheat protection. If it designed to protect children or dogs left in the car on a hot day then it should be described as such. Until someone can provide some link or explanation coming from Tesla explaining its purpose then it remains anyones guess.

OK, interesting! Any references to Tesla or Elon stating that would be appreciated. 105F degrees seems pretty high for child or dog protection if that was the intent. Thanks
1659703110295.png

I wonder if this is true. My friend just got a 2022 Model S and I noticed his sunroof is much darker than my 2021 Model Y. Did the 2022 MY get darker as well? I find the heat so objectionable that I cover the entire roof with a Heatshield product. I am very happy with the result.
I can’t say for sure but it’s very possible. The sunroof has always been laminated for IR and sound blocking but I know they’ve changed the lamination of the side windows so they could well have changed the composition of the sunroof.