Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How worried about vandalism are you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would I live in fear about scary conservatives? I am one and many of the people around are too.

It's super annoying that people assume that Tesla drivers are making political statements.

This world is not black and white.

Maybe you should move to Democrat Spokane, Washington.

I leave sentry on. Park in well lit areas with lots of pedestrian traffic. Lastly I park near other cars instead of away from everyone but go out of my way to look for corner aeras, spots next to handicap, etc where I have more space between me and ideally one other car.

But I don't obsess about getting keyed.

There are so many Tesla's on the road these days they don't really standout like they used to.

What about Bentley, Ferrari, or Lamborghini owners ?

Here in rural New Mexico I was worried when I first got the car. But nothing has happened. The few sentry events I've gotten were either me or someone else getting into their car.

My car is totally ignored by almost everyone. Once, some kids riding by on bikes gave me a thumbs up (which felt great) and twice people asked me a few questions in the Walmart parking lot.

I've seen a total of five other Teslas in my sleepy little down. Three of them had out-of-state plates.

I am vastly more concerned about people hitting my car by swerving into my lane or speeding through red lights. Both of these things have happened twice to me already so I've have four near accidents due to idiot drivers. I try to use slower back roads when I can where there is less traffic.

Living in oil country, yes I am worried about vandalism. However it wasn’t long ago I was sitting in my full size 4wd truck at a red light and was egged. The high school kids did not expect a large 4wd to hunt them down. But experience won over agility. Cops did nothing but they kids definitely had an eye opening experience not to judge a book by its cover.

Moral is….Sometimes you are just in the wrong place at the right time for someone being stupid. It is not always because of the type of car you have.

San Francisco is just a haven for car break-ins, especially since the pandemic. Add to that skyrocketing homelessness and businesses leaving in droves due to break-in’s and robberies - I have no plan to even visit again in the coming years.

Sacramento has been been that great either. My trip to San Diego a month was just dirty and depressing compared to dozens of visits or decades prior.

Reactions: richyrich
I park in my own private garage when I'm at home, and the work parking lot is really safe. But if I didn't have a safe place to park I'd probably drive an old beater. I don't get people who live in some rundown neighborhood but still insist on driving something nice.

I also live in oil country. Mine was hit and run by a jacked up diesel truck, might have even been intentional - he rubbed his over wide tire against my front bumper as he drove by. My PPF protected against scratches but it compressed the bumper enough to pop out all the trim underneath.

Unfortunately he had one of those polarized license plate covers, so sentry couldn’t read his plate number, and even RCMP accessing the parking lot cameras could not read it. 😡

For background, the Alberta oil sands have been under a lot of scrutiny lately from the “green” community. Many whose livelihood depends on the oil sands see anyone in a Tesla as representing the “greens“ and therefore out to get them. It doesn’t matter that I actually support the oil industry and only drive a Tesla because i like the performance and tech… they don’t know that.

Last edited:
I also live in oil country. Mine was hit and run by a jacked up diesel truck, might have even been intentional - he rubbed his over wide tire against my front bumper as he drove by. My PPF protected against scratches but it compressed the bumper enough to pop out all the trim underneath.

Unfortunately he had one of those polarized license plate covers, so sentry couldn’t read his plate number, and even RCMP accessing the parking lot cameras could not read it. 😡

For background, the Alberta oil sands have been under a lot of scrutiny lately from the “green” community. Many whose livelihood depends on the oil sands see anyone in a Tesla as representing the “greens“ and therefore out to get them. It doesn’t matter that I actually support the oil industry and only drive a Tesla because i like the performance and tech… they don’t know that.

But you had sentry so you shouldn’t haven’t to pay anything, except deductible ?

But you had sentry so you shouldn’t haven’t to pay anything, except deductible ?
Correct - but my deductible is $5000. I have a perfectly ticket and claim free history, yet it would seem no companies will insure a car over $100K without such a high deductible, or much higher premiums to bring the deductible down.

I was hoping to nail the individual so their insurance would have to cover it. Unfortunately that didn't work out.

I've seen lots of videos and encounters of people getting their vehicles keyed, or charging stations being damaged as an act of what exactly?
You get what you search for.
My Tesla is minty fresh so far (8 months). I've only turned on sentry once - in a very tight hospital parking lot spot. Doubt I'll ever use it again, it just creates something to worry about that you never did before with any other car. I turned it off and reclaimed my old worry free life immediately after that experience. Half the year it is -37C here in Edmonton anyway, no one is going to freeze their ass off vandalizing cars for those 6 months.