Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would you prefer to pay for Supercharging?

Not asking what you think will happen; How would you prefer to pay for supercharging?

• ~$2k at purchase. 'Free' forever

Votes: 189 46.6%
  • Pay per (insert whatever here); Assume cost is similar to 50mpg car ~$6/150 miles

Votes: 217 53.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you personally be interested in (and how much would you pay) for free for life [life of the purchaser, not the car] supercharging?

I am talking about you pay one fee and from that day forward any Tesla you purchase is supercharger enabled, and on cars where supercharging is rolled into the price of the car you get a free upgrade worth $2000?
That seems to be a bit much, really. I'm likely to buy a car that is pretty much maxed out anyway... So it would surely include Supercharger access and anything else I felt was worthwhile. Thus, no need for a refund or discount. Unless I can't delete leather seats in favor of cloth/textile. I like that Supercharger access is tied to the car, not the owner. So, if I wanted to give away or sell my car, the next driver automatically has that ability activated. And, since I am going to be around to see age 150 or more, it wouldn't be the best deal for Tesla Motors to make anyway.

Reactions: SSD420
There will be abusers left and right who will game the system as much as they can and don't give a hoot about being courteous.
Well, that's why someone invented the inside crescent kick.

For that reason, pay-per-use, with additional pay-per-minute charges for overextending your stay plugged in beyond the allotted time will be the reasonable outcome.
It is amazing how so many in this thread think that having a fee for something will miraculously make lines go away. Or that not having a pay-per-use fee will magically make lines appear.

There is no one in existence at Tesla to monitor " you use, you pay"
There are no SC's out there that support "you use, you pay" ( development/money is necessary)
There is nothing in place that would eliminate the folks who already paid their $2000 for "free for life"

The idea of "I use, I pay" is easy. implementing and policing abusers is not easy.

Paying per use is fairly easy to implement. Pay through the center console and/or app. Is it as "easy" as paying $2,000 upfront? No. But is it "difficult" or "complicated"? Heck no.

Whether or not local users "abuse" superchargers is an entirely separate issue.

Reactions: SSD420
I think it's a privilege that you will and should be able to keep. You basically financed the SC upfront and you're entitled to the benefits. The question is how Tesla deals with the masses of M3 owners crowding the stations. And if pay-per-use is eventually implemented, for that reason I suggested that they may have to create exclusive use SC slots for the "unlimited" SC users that pay-per-use customers can't use.

I doubt they will, simply because it would add confusion.

I will guarantee you that each of those companies will soon provide unlimited plans if they don't already have it. Its just a cheaper business model.
I also guarantee you that if they could get rid of their support overhead.....they would do it in a heartbeat.

Sure, let me know when Apple and Google move to all-you-can eat apps, Amazon releases all-you-can-eat web services, uber sells unlimited ride passes, etc. I'll be waiting ;)

How much of a problem is the "abuse"? I don't really see it here in the SE. I know it's a problem with the low end EV's like the Leaf. I have not see it as much of a problem with the Tesla charging locations.

Enough of an issue that Elon had to send out letters to people who were using it as a local charger, rather than pay for charging at home. And if you get abuse by owners of 100K vehicles, it will only get worse with 35K vehicles. If anybody doubts that all-you-can-eat leads to abuse, then they need to spend a bit of time watching human behaviour at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Last edited:
Occasionally I frequent a location to attend some CPE classes. This location has 4-30A public chargers that are free, paid for by the property manager. I sometimes avail myself of 4 hours of electricity as I am out-of-town and the nearest SC is 25 miles away.

I have walked past this particular EVSE area about 8 times in the past three years. Every time there is a Chevy Volt parked there for the entire day. Clearly this driver is employed at one of the stores in this shopping area, and uses the location to charge and park the entire day.

I think this might be a situation that some of us anticipate could materialize with the Model 3. People who work proximate to the SC will grab a charge and use the space as a parking spot until they feel like returning to their car on break or worse, at the end of their shift.

And I do not know the solution to this dilemma. Whether pay-per-use, or one-time up front fee, parking at SC will make matters worse.

Occasionally I frequent a location to attend some CPE classes. This location has 4-30A public chargers that are free, paid for by the property manager. I sometimes avail myself of 4 hours of electricity as I am out-of-town and the nearest SC is 25 miles away.

I have walked past this particular EVSE area about 8 times in the past three years. Every time there is a Chevy Volt parked there for the entire day. Clearly this driver is employed at one of the stores in this shopping area, and uses the location to charge and park the entire day.

I think this might be a situation that some of us anticipate could materialize with the Model 3. People who work proximate to the SC will grab a charge and use the space as a parking spot until they feel like returning to their car on break or worse, at the end of their shift.

And I do not know the solution to this dilemma. Whether pay-per-use, or one-time up front fee, parking at SC will make matters worse.
I really hope that doesn't happen.

Every time there is a Chevy Volt parked there for the entire day. Clearly this driver is employed at one of the stores in this shopping area, and uses the location to charge and park the entire day.
Actually, just to park the entire day, not charging, with a wire plugged in for show, since a Volt only takes a couple hours to L2 charge at 30A. Which was probably your point. :-(

Sometimes I unplug people I see doing that, after I verify they aren't actually charging (there's usually a telltale that lights up on the EVSE to indicate if current is being drawn).

Enough of an issue that Elon had to send out letters to people who were using it as a local charger, rather than pay for charging at home. And if you get abuse by owners of 100K vehicles, it will only get worse with 35K vehicles. If anybody doubts that all-you-can-eat leads to abuse, then they need to spend a bit of time watching human behaviour at an all-you-can-eat buffet.
But, that's not a letter because of congestion.

We have topics going on here.

Congestion (abuse)
Too much Local Charging (letter from Tesla)

Actually, just to park the entire day, not charging, with a wire plugged in for show, since a Volt only takes a couple hours to L2 charge at 30A. Which was probably your point. :-(

Sometimes I unplug people I see doing that, after I verify they aren't actually charging (there's usually a telltale that lights up on the EVSE to indicate if current is being drawn).
In Toronto, parking can be pretty hefty, so I could imagine that happening here.

I have walked past this particular EVSE area about 8 times in the past three years. Every time there is a Chevy Volt parked there for the entire day. Clearly this driver is employed at one of the stores in this shopping area, and uses the location to charge and park the entire day

Then THAT guy is a jerk and should be reminded of charger etiquette. But that doesn't mean all are or will be jerks.

Obviously you don't live in Chicago. That's grounds for getting shot here.

Reactions: Red Sage