Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How's life without Premium Connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can use a hotspot from your phone. Turn on the hotspot and select it from the list of available WiFi networks on the Tesla. That is how I tried to run mine for a couple weeks. It works but sometimes you have to go into the Wifi settings and tell it to connect. Other times it connected automatically. It was too annoying to me so I subscribed. But when the car is properly connected it works just fine using your phone's data. You still don't get satellite maps or live sentry view. But you can run the video streaming services. Although I'm not sure if Apple Music, Spotify or Tidal work via hotspot??
thanks, i'll try it
only need it when my wife is waiting in the car running errands or would be nice to look up yelp or google so even if it's a bit of hassle, sounds totally fine for our use.

Haven't had it in over 2 years and I don't miss it. My daily commute is super short, I use a different car most of the time for the commute, Tesla isn't taken on long trips (twice in 3 years), Tesla is hardly driven in general (7.8k total miles in just over 3 years), and I play Apple Music via my phone/Bluetooth (same method with 4 of my cars). Premium Connectivity would be a total waste for me. Argument that 'you have a Tesla, you can afford it' or 'it's only $100/yr' is silly to me. I'd rather give the money to Charity......or Destiny if she isn't working. ;)

Agree heat car in winter or turn AC on in summer
That alone pays for premium connectivity

That is a must for me. Well worth the$100 per Year
I don't have premium connectivity but i am still able to turn on/off AC/heat remotely.

only thing i don't have is the satellite map (which i think it is a bit distracting when driving) and the music apps ( i bypass it with music on my phone via bluetooth)

Reactions: saj070
I dropped Premium connectivity a year ago, and got an Alexa Echo Auto to replace it.

I have t-mobile with unlimited streaming and, combined with the echo auto, gives me perfect voice controlled streaming music. I use Pandora and Amazon music. Bonus is that Alexa does a much better job with voice recognition than Tesla does, so when the Y can’t recognize a person I want to call or text, I have Alexa do it. I have the Echo auto plugged into USB C port with a short cable and sits under the wireless phone charger (which never worked for my iPhone due to its case).

Thanks. That’s what I thought and experienced. I just thought I was wrong and there was a way. I don’t want to remove the sentry drive in the glovebox. Oh well, I’ll just stream from my phone.
You can partition a drive in the glovebox and have a folder for Sentry and one for music. A lot of people use a 256GB microSD card in a mini usb card reader. Some go with an SSD if they want a lot of music. Many threads on TMC about these options. Just try a search if you are interested.

A popular choice: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Endu...ng/dp/B08PZTP34M/ref=sr_1_2?crid=NY6V76RPT8EY

You can partition a drive in the glovebox and have a folder for Sentry and one for music. A lot of people use a 256GB microSD card in a mini usb card reader. Some go with an SSD if they want a lot of music. Many threads on TMC about these options. Just try a search if you are interested.

A popular choice: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Endu...ng/dp/B08PZTP34M/ref=sr_1_2?crid=NY6V76RPT8EY
Thanks. I recall partition and sharing issues a long time ago. Maybe I’ll try it.

USB? I can’t my new Model Y to recognize a flash drive. I formatted it as exfat and used the front console usb-c ports. How do you do it?
Just plug n play. Super easy and doesnt affect sentry. Tesla flash plugs right back in.
I know the graphics look cheesy but it's hidden in the glovebox.
I like it in there, no accidental bumping it or pulling it, like the center console.

Every carmaker has been doing connectivity subscriptions for a while, and not just EVs. This was tied to cost of the cellular services plus additional services. On the plus side, Tesla's $10/month is one of the cheaper. It could be worse - they might want $25/month like GM for OnStar connected services on the Lyriq.

But, what chaps my arse is subscriptions for hardware you bought. This is an epic BMW fail and one of the many reasons I will probably never own another BMW. EAP and FSD kind of fall in the middle. Tesla gives you the option to buy them (at exorbitant prices) or rent them for a subscription that is a tiny fraction of the own it cost.
This is the distinction. You're paying Tesla $100/year for cellular service. It's not a terrible price should it remain in this ballpark. I do like the TV options for charging stops on roadtrips. Occasionally have used the browser - bigger screen than my phone.

The heating seat subscription, otoh, feels like an extortion racket. It depends on part on if you could have just bought it, and perhaps how you feel about Tesla selling the AB for the LR model.

We just get a monthly subscription when we are going on a long trip and cancel it when the trip is over. The satellite maps are nice to look at but we don't need them around home. Similar with music, we just stream from our phone or use a USB. We have never played any of the games. It just seems so dumb to put them in the car. If we are charging, then we are using the restrooms and getting food and don't have time to play games. I was so happy when they finally allowed me to delete them.

• Funny
Reactions: Noflash