Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Charging Issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1st time plugging Model 3 into my home HPWC. Chargeport light flashes yellow and only charges at 16 Amps. Unplug/Replug and try to "Set it" harder (up/down/left/right) several times. No matter what I do, there is loud clicking as if the chargeport is trying to "lock" into the HPWC cable but cannot. Bottom line: cannot get a green light from the HPWC. Only yellow flashing light but it is charging at 16 amps (reduced rate)

The same HPWC works just fine with the Model S. A second charger unit/cable (Clipper Creek) using the Adaptor also works just fine and charges to the full 48 amps with a green light.

So, I believe I've ruled out the HPWC cable as the potential issue (works fine on the Model S) and the HPWC unit itself (it's lights are also normal "green" ).

No matter what I do with HPWC + Model 3, the chargeport itself flashes yellow and charges at the reduced rate

My only CONCLUSION is has to be the Model 3's Chargeport Problem and specifically it doesn't like Tesla's own HPWC cable/unit?

Anyone else have this issue?

I had this issue with my S. When inserted try to push the handle down (in a way so the tip moves up inside the charge port). The problem seemed to go away with time (as Tesla suggested)

Update: no matter which way I try to plug and guide the cable - HPWC can’t negotiate a rate higher than 16 AMPs.

Since I have never had a problem with the X I’m going to say it’s related to the charger on the 3.

1st time plugging Model 3 into my home HPWC. Chargeport light flashes yellow and only charges at 16 Amps. Unplug/Replug and try to "Set it" harder (up/down/left/right) several times. No matter what I do, there is loud clicking as if the chargeport is trying to "lock" into the HPWC cable but cannot. Bottom line: cannot get a green light from the HPWC. Only yellow flashing light but it is charging at 16 amps (reduced rate)

The same HPWC works just fine with the Model S. A second charger unit/cable (Clipper Creek) using the Adaptor also works just fine and charges to the full 48 amps with a green light.

So, I believe I've ruled out the HPWC cable as the potential issue (works fine on the Model S) and the HPWC unit itself (it's lights are also normal "green" ).

No matter what I do with HPWC + Model 3, the chargeport itself flashes yellow and charges at the reduced rate

My only CONCLUSION is has to be the Model 3's Chargeport Problem and specifically it doesn't like Tesla's own HPWC cable/unit?

Anyone else have this issue?

Here is my guess:

A black piece of plastic from your Model S has broken off inside your HPWC charge handle. When plugging into the Model 3 it is causing it not to seat all the way and so it can't lock it in so it defaults to only allowing 16 amps.

It works fine in the "S" because that is where it came from so it fits fine.

Folks have reported that heating up a small drill bit with a flame and shoving it into the plastic, letting it cool, and then using it to pull out the plastic may work.

Your Model S charge port then needs service as it is missing from it.

Reactions: Lloyd
Not the issue unfortunately. My wall connector works in my S, not the 3 (as of yesterday - not locking, only doing 16a). The mobile connector from my S works in both (at 40A).

Are you sure there is no piece of plastic buried way down inside the plug end of the wall connector way down in the pin slots?

What you describe would support that theory. (But it also could be some other kind of fitment issue keeping the connection from being able to lock in which allows the car to ramp up over 16 amps)

Are you sure there is no piece of plastic buried way down inside the plug end of the wall connector way down in the pin slots?

What you describe would support that theory. (But it also could be some other kind of fitment issue keeping the connection from being able to lock in which allows the car to ramp up over 16 amps)

Considering two completely different connectors were used, 1 worked, and one didn't, why would the plastic not interfere with the other connector as well?