Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I would go with the separate panel off utility. I too have a 20kW generac and was advised to not try to put a 60A load on it when i needed it for a sump pump and heating/cooling.

Of course I am moving next year and the house we are having built in NC requires a plugin for electric vehicles, but I am unsure of what the default amperage is. We are taking our generator with us, but won't have a sump pump, so I may be okay there.

Why do you need to charge at 72A at home daily? Do you drive that much? Why not charge at 30A or 40A as your default and only bump up to 72A if you need to charge faster that day for some reason. No reason to charge faster than necessary at home in my opinion. It's probably more efficient charging at 30A too.

In the event of a power outage, I would think charging slower is better than spending all of this time, effort and money to make it able to charge at 72A on generator. I'm failing to see the logic.

Misfire above, but what gavine said. I have the exact same setup at home and unless you have unusual driving circumstances you are better of with a HPWC @ 50 A (40 A usable). This is enough to charge overnight with no issues and the generator can safely handle it without load shedding. In the event of a long term power outage (can happen annually in my area) you will be able to charge at your normal rate.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike