Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC - What cable length?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning ahead -

The website has two cable lengths, 8.5' and 24'. The latter seems like a lot of cable to deal with, however the 8.5' seems to be just a bit short. The HPWC will be mounted on the wall opposite of the charge port, so the cable will have to run the width of the car and plug in. When I measured it seemed 8.5' was close. Does anyone here have the shorter cable, have the HPWC mounted on the right side of the garage (when facing / driving in)? Is there enough length to make it halfway across the garage and then 180 turn into the charge port?

I could go with the 24' but that should leave a large amount of unnecessary cable coiled on the wall.

thx

Planning ahead -

The website has two cable lengths, 8.5' and 24'. The latter seems like a lot of cable to deal with, however the 8.5' seems to be just a bit short. The HPWC will be mounted on the wall opposite of the charge port, so the cable will have to run the width of the car and plug in. When I measured it seemed 8.5' was close. Does anyone here have the shorter cable, have the HPWC mounted on the right side of the garage (when facing / driving in)? Is there enough length to make it halfway across the garage and then 180 turn into the charge port?

I could go with the 24' but that should leave a large amount of unnecessary cable coiled on the wall.

thx
It's simple IMO. Simulate the position with a vacuum hose and measure. If 8.5 definitely works, you are done. If it's close consider the variables Like HPWC wall mounting varience car position variance etc. You need some margin for error in your estimate..Keep in mind getting the 24 can be zip tied to only unravel, say, 10 feet....

Reactions: oldtrip
8.5' really only works if you park you car directly adjacent to the charger, meaning the right rear driver's side of the car needs to be directly next to the charger. All other positions require 24'. The extra cable can be a little bit of a pain (I have two 24' HPWC installed in my garage), but the flexibility for charging is worth it. Wish someone would build some type of retraction system, I would buy two immediately.

Reactions: Rocky_H and hacer
I have the 8.5 and it is mounted on the wall at the rear corner near the charge port. It works great but I couldn’t image reaching further without the cord being a tight rope. If you are mounting within a few feet of the port, the short cord is great, If not go long cord. The cord needs some slack.

Have to agree with the other posts here. Get the long cable. Mine is on the right-hand wall at the rear of the car and I got the 24' so the cable could lay on the floor instead of draping over the car. Since we got the second Tesla, now it's suspended so it can reach either car with both still parked nose-in (i.e. it reaches to the left garage wall).

I have the 8.5' cable, with the charger mounted near the charge port. I don't think it would reach far enough if I parked any distance away from it. I kind of wish I had the longer cable, though I don't have to worry about coiling this one. It's a perfect fit for the current layout, but very inflexible. Park backward or in a different spot and I can't charge.

We will be getting a Model 3 when the right configuration is available. It's HPWC will be mounted on the wall a car width away from the charge port. I'll get the 24' cable for that one.

I think it's a no-brainer to get the long one, especially since the short and long cables are the same price. Honestly, I'm surprised Tesla doesn't charge more for the longer one. My wall connector is only 5 feet from the charging port in my normal parking space in my garage. The short cable would have reached easily, but I still got the long one for a few reasons:
  • If I need to park outside of my garage for whatever reason (work being done in the garage, another car needs to park there, temporarily storage space needed, etc), the cable can still reach.
  • If I need to park in the next space over in my garage, the cable can still reach.
  • If the battery dies and it needs to be towed home, I don't have to worry about trying to maneuver a dead car into the garage so the wall connector can reach it. The tow truck could just drop it off in front of my garage. This is better than having to be towed to a Supercharger, which is in the opposite direction of my house from where I normally commute.
  • Lastly, if/when we get a second Tesla, the cable would be able to reach the both cars without having to be repositioned
The extra cord length is just wrapped around the wall connector, exactly as it's designed to be stored. I never have deal with the extra 18+ feet unless I need it.

Planning ahead -

thx
Just got mine, and I agree that 8.5 is pretty short. I can't plug it in where my electrician put in the outlet with 220 (close to the garage door) and it won't even reach if I park close to the door outside the garage
Planning ahead -

thx
Just got mine. Agree that 8.5 gives minimal flexibility. I am lucky that my electrical box is super close to where I need to charge, but anything (like just outside the garage) won't work. I will be getting the 24 foot for when I go elsewhere and if I want to park in the driveway.

They're the same price but I figured the 24 ft is more versatile if I ever want to switch to either other side of the garage or if friends park in the driveway and need a charge.

It doesn't look as clean with a bunch of cable wrapped around the HPWC but it's not that bad.

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
The HPWC will be mounted on the wall opposite of the charge port, so the cable will have to run the width of the car and plug in. When I measured it seemed 8.5' was close.
No way! You are forgetting that when you measure across the car to where the charge port is, that will be the tip of the charging handle facing the wrong way. You will need an extra 2 to 3 feet of cable slack to have that cord loop around in a half circle to point back at the car to plug it into the port. And as others mentioned, having it rest on the floor is a pretty decent idea.

Unless it's mounted on that wall at the back corner where your charge port is, I definitely would go for the longer one.

Wish someone would build some type of retraction system, I would buy two immediately.
Not quite a retraction system but it works well. It's for garden hoses.

I only wrap the first 14 feet or so and let the other 10 loop across the HPWC when I leave.

20160613_140530 (Small).jpg