Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

https://www.thethings.com/20-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-buy-a-tesla/

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, what in insightful post. A link to an article with no actual commentary. Allow me to attempt to give this thread some merit.

The 20 points, and my comments on them, are:

20: Can't haul anything.

Demonstrably false, as anyone who frequents "Tesla Bjorn"'s YT channel can attent.

19: It's expensive

Debatable, and depends on chosen model and options.

18: Charging stations aren't everywhere

Nor are petrol stations, but Superchargers and electrical outlets are near ubiquity.

17: Must go to dealership for service

Rich Rebuilds might disagree.

16: Tesla has bad press

Like this article. Which is both bad press and bad press.

15: Not really eco-friendly.

Here the article claims the batteries themselves are harmful to the environment, which has bee repeatedly rebutted.

14: Charging takes a long time

They cite a (false) 90 minute time to charge, not mentioning that it takes 15-20 minutes to get to around an 80 or 85% charge.

13: Roadside service isn't easy

The article doesn't say exactly what this is supposed to mean, so I'm discounting it as a non-claim.

12: Doesn't come with a spare tire

Finally, a fair complaint. This is one thing that had me hesitant to go with a Tesla.

11: Loses power in cold temperatures

As to ICE vehicles: colder (denser) air is more mass to shove out of the way, no matter how your wheels are turning.

10: Dangerous on slippery roads

This is the first time I've seen this claim made about EVs. It says "The enormous torque makes it difficult to control the car [...] even the slightest acceleration is problematic". If your only control of the car is dropping a brick on the accelerator pedal, this may be the complaint, but by all accounts I have seen, this is utter nonsense.

9: No test drives

Utterly false. Nothing more to say.

8: Software needs regular updating

This is an amazing way to spin the fact that sofware upgrades are even a thing at all, much less regular and free. The article makes the claim that somehow updating the software "means that the hardware and drivetrain have to be replaced to remain compatible" which, as is a common refrain here, is utter nonsense.

7: Unclear resale value

Bunk. Cars are tools not investments.

6: Zero ability to maintain it yourself

See 17.

5: Self-driving myths exist

Because of articles like this? Apparently Tesla saying "you must pay attention and keep your hands on the wheel at all times" is somehow engendering a "false sense of security".

4: Limited ability to drive on the highway

The article posits that because regenerative braking is a thing, this somehow curtails the cars' ability to drive on the highway. Which, what?

3: Long trips are a thing of the past

Um, what? The car will navigate you from Bangor to Sacramento or Lisbon to Oslo without problem. Nonsense.

2: It's inconvenient

Begs the question as it assumes #20-#3 are all true.

1: Technology is too new

The first Roadsters have been around for a decade now, but I guess it's "too new" if it's not 17th century technology.

The article raises a very few reasonable points (e. g. the lack of a spare), but is full of so much FUD and outright lies that it has no merit whatsoever. Don't make the mistake I did and give them an out-of-curiosity ad impression, like I did.

Basically, when you read biased nonsense like this you KNOW someone is very very scared. Fake News = Fear of the truth.

It's best to ignore this kind of clickbait. Anyone with a brain will spot it as biased, anyone else is already so biased themselves there is no point in worrying about them.

Last edited:
Wow, what in insightful post. A link to an article with no actual commentary. Allow me to attempt to give this thread some merit.

Demonstrably false, as anyone who frequents "Tesla Bjorn"'s YT channel can attent.

Nor are petrol stations, but Superchargers and electrical outlets are near ubiquity.

Here the article claims the batteries themselves are harmful to the environment, which has bee repeatedly rebutted.

They cite a (false) 90 minute time to charge, not mentioning that it takes 15-20 minutes to get to around an 80 or 85% charge.

The article doesn't say exactly what this is supposed to mean, so I'm discounting it as a non-claim.

Finally, a fair complaint. This is one thing that had me hesitant to go with a Tesla.

As to ICE vehicles: colder (denser) air is more mass to shove out of the way, no matter how your wheels are turning.

This is the first time I've seen this claim made about EVs. It says "The enormous torque makes it difficult to control the car [...] even the slightest acceleration is problematic". If your only control of the car is dropping a brick on the accelerator pedal, this may be the complaint, but by all accounts I have seen, this is utter nonsense.

This is an amazing way to spin the fact that sofware upgrades are even a thing at all, much less regular and free. The article makes the claim that somehow updating the software "means that the hardware and drivetrain have to be replaced to remain compatible" which, as is a common refrain here, is utter nonsense.

See 17.

Because of articles like this? Apparently Tesla saying "you must pay attention and keep your hands on the wheel at all times" is somehow engendering a "false sense of security".

The article posits that because regenerative braking is a thing, this somehow curtails the cars' ability to drive on the highway. Which, what?

Um, what? The car will navigate you from Bangor to Sacramento or Lisbon to Oslo without problem. Nonsense.

The first Roadsters have been around for a decade now, but I guess it's "too new" if it's not 17th century technology.

The article raises a very few reasonable points (e. g. the lack of a spare), but is full of so much FUD and outright lies that it has no merit whatsoever. Don't make the mistake I did and give them an out-of-curiosity ad impression, like I did.
I think, based on your rebuttal, we should change the thread to “20 reasons to BUY a Tesla”

why are you guys even giving the OP in this thread the respectability of clicking the link and reading the posts for something that is so obviously clickbait? One thing I like about TMC is, its very (very) easy to "ghost" someone here. I use this sparingly, but have very little tolerance for posts designed to just troll / incite reaction.

I am perfectly fine with people who have real problems discussing them, etc. I am not in for clickbait. Dont give this poster the extra click at their link. If they have any REAL points or want to actually have a discussion, they would have posted all of their points HERE, and not posted a "click my link" thread.

New why are you guys even giving the OP in this thread the respectability of clicking the link
A fair question. There were no ad impressions when I went, as I used w3m, but I was curious about what the 20 FUD points actually were and whether any of them actually had merit. Surprisingly, one of them did. I posted my reply in part because I wanted to make mine the last even partially successful referral to that place from this.

Reactions: jjrandorin
If you want a spare tire.. BUY ONE.
Eh; the Model 3 was the first car I've ever considered purchasing that did not come with at lest a donut and jack. The VWs I used to drive before I went hybrid even had full-size spares as a standard feature. Not having a spare tire (and indeed having Slime-resistant tires on top of it) is complaint-worthy, albeit (in my case) not a dealbreaker.

Eh; the Model 3 was the first car I've ever considered purchasing that did not come with at lest a donut and jack. The VWs I used to drive before I went hybrid even had full-size spares as a standard feature. Not having a spare tire (and indeed having Slime-resistant tires on top of it) is complaint-worthy, albeit (in my case) not a dealbreaker.

All that increases costs, adds weight and reduces cargo space.

I’d take it for “free” but I would delete that option for as little as $100 back from Tesla.

Tesla’s tends to be a urban car which has easy access to towing, road side and service infrastructure making flats not that serious an issue.

See 17.

And lack of spare is very common these days. My 2016 Golf R didn’t have a spare, either, and neither does my neighbor’s new 2019 eGolf. It’s done to save weight, as I recall, since most people don’t ever need that spare.

Reactions: C141medic
Modern tires make a spare less important than XX years ago. Pretty sure my 2005 BMW 545 didn't have a spare.
I know personally my last issue (fixable by a spare and not by some air/can) was mid 1990s. I was driving across Arkansas and had a high speed blow out. I was driving fairly fast (and very long distance) and it was hot so I suspect it was temperature related. The tire was trashed.

Had 2 instances since then but they involved 2 tires. One was BMW run flats that still couldn't drive - large pot hole that trashed rims and tires.

Calling Tesla an urban car is a bit funny. I think in the US, it is a suburban and urban car. I am not sure how many rural folks have the money to buy a Tesla and they tend to drive trucks anyway. Rural probably represents 10% of the population that could afford a Tesla. So, yeah, they are primarily urban/suburban.
But - yeah - if I was rural, I would probably get a spare.

no mention of the panel gaps and lack for floor mats? The reasons the guy gives are a joke.
Panel gaps seem largely resolved at this point, and floor mats come with everything but the SR+ and off-menu SR. Granted, since they wanted to FUDdle around in the BS, it's kind of surprising they didn't lump in complaints about the Partial Premium interior (e. g. no floor mats) with the complaint about being too spendy.

Wow, what in insightful post. A link to an article with no actual commentary. 10: Dangerous on slippery roads

The enormous torque makes it difficult to control the car [...] even the slightest acceleration is problematic".

This is kinda true. Slight acceleration is a bad idea. You need some pretty aggressive acceleration to get a good drift going.

Looking forward to 4 more inches of snow tonight.