Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD ("Heads Up Display") Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HUD is not a deal breaker for me. In fact a few months ago I didn't even know what H U D stood for. :)
I would like to have it and believe Tesla will have it on the 3, after S and X get it for a while.
We have been driving cars for over 100 years with displays "down" on the dash. We'll get by

After driving my X for only about 4 months, I think that BMW interior looks absolutely archaic and silly. :eek:

:)
What do you think about the Audi or Mercedes interiors?
I think even BMW enthusiasts would agree that BMW has dated interiors now. The general design is 11 years old now after all. Every 6 years BMW makes platform changes, but not much happend during last change. The 7th gen G20 (3-series)due next year is supposed to have the largest changes ever. Interior changes - incl. digital dash (a la Audi) and HUD. Will also weigh 80kg less and accommodate full electric drive.

Said the Blackberry to the iPhone.
My issue is mostly styling. For example I like the I-Pace interior, it simply looks like it has a design language. Minimalism doesn't have to be boring.

That said it's also a bit about functionality. While a touch screen is nice, I still love the volume buttons and mute switch on my iPhone and in a car I'd also like some basic manual controls for that or the AC.

The most important thing to Tesla is to get the car out the door.

There's probably something to that. What I find interesting is that nobody was complaining about the instrument panel in the S or X in addition to the center display. In fact I suspect that most loved it. Now that the 3 won't have such a screen, many are implying that not having it is the best thing since sliced bread. I honestly feel there's some degree of rationalization going on here.

I've got my reservation in and I'm still looking forward to the car, but I'd be less than honest if I didn't admit I'll miss that instrument panel.

My issue is mostly styling. For example I like the I-Pace interior, it simply looks like it has a design language. Minimalism doesn't have to be boring.

That said it's also a bit about functionality. While a touch screen is nice, I still love the volume buttons and mute switch on my iPhone and in a car I'd also like some basic manual controls for that or the AC.
These are matters of taste. I mean, I really dislike luxury car interiors like Mercedes and Audi and BMW. They are trying SO HARD to convey a certain conception of luxury that they look comical and busy to me. This is just taste though. I like unfussy.

As for user-friendliness? I have an Audi A6 and there are a lot of buttons for sure. Apart from the heated steering wheel button on the steering wheel, I don't think it is any easier to use than my X. I can use my thumbs to mute the stereo and adjust climate in my X using the wheel buttons. It's pretty easy. And the climate controls are always on the touchscreen. Though I do wish the rear passengers had a way to do their own seat-warmers and AC.

But anyway, truly, I do think Tesla's designs can be improved. The interior of the doors, for example, are kind of laughable. At the same time, I really like the simplicity of the dash console. A lot.

The M3 will be a fairly normal car...
Perspective check: the Model 3 will in no way be a "normal car" to anyone who has not owned a Tesla. And I believe that Tesla has stated that only about 7% of Model 3 reservations have been made by existing Tesla owners. So the vast majority of Model 3 buyers will be brand new to Tesla. The Model 3 will be a revelation to those buyers, and anything but "normal". In my opinion.

Perspective check: the Model 3 will in no way be a "normal car" to anyone who has not owned a Tesla. And I believe that Tesla has stated that only about 7% of Model 3 reservations have been made by existing Tesla owners. So the vast majority of Model 3 buyers will be brand new to Tesla. The Model 3 will be a revelation to those buyers, and anything but "normal". In my opinion.
I absolutely agree with your sentiment because driving a Tesla is anything but normal, but there's always a danger in cherry picking quotes out of context. With the quote standing alone, I will clarify that I meant fairly normal car in comparison to the MS and MX. It was in line with my argument that some M3 reservation holders are expecting too much.

Haven't been on car forums much? It's human nature to rationalize away real failings when invested in the idea of something - the shortcomings become opaque to consideration and sensibilities and at greater extremes the "fanboi" is born.

Oh, it's not just car forums where that occurs. I frequent other forums in the video arena and that same human behavior is observed even more frequently.

Oh, it's not just car forums where that occurs. I frequent other forums in the video arena and that same human behavior is observed even more frequently.
In the end, it's simply the honest critique rather than the zealous or hope-filled one which serves everyone better. Performance (acceleration, handling, braking, range, drag, etc) metrics are going to be objective. Comfort, styling, design appeal and utility - very personal.

I can see where Musk is going with the Model 3 Taxi concept. To be the first to market with a mass produced car capable of freeing people from driving concerns is very appealing and a good goal. It may eventually free people from even owning cars, just use a shared pool of Model 3's. However, I'd rather have a product aimed at people that enjoy driving.

I like looking straight through a windshield. My peripheral vision gets worse the further I look away. Distance-to-periphery may be more important than all this stuff about HUD focal points. In the end, it seems neither will matter. There's going to be lots of info further to the right, and down, from speed. Are my high beams on? Can the AP cameras still see those lane markers?

When AP came, I never wanted to see what the sensors saw when I was doing the driving, but I've been stuck ever since the "update". Model 3 similarly ups the game against drivers, telling you what you really want is a ride in a taxi. Musk's vision. No different than a space ship, really. Taxi/Space, there's no need to look out the "windshield" of either. Model 3 is baked. This is what's coming.

Meh. I've been checking to see how hard it would be to glance at my Volt infotainment screen for speed while driving, and it is no harder and takes no more time than when I glance at the screen behind the steering wheel.
Disagree, as Volt1's center stack hid the climate controls, and constantly had its drivers rotating between media, climate, and other info screens. They were touch, not tactile, and double-strikes were common on mine.

For months and months the 3 was discussed as being a replacement/aimed at the BMW 3 series. ....maybe it's not.
Agree. I once wondered how far Elon was going to go past the EV/Environment thing, and he's doing it with autonomy. In part, low gas prices required this extra ace in the hole, but to then see him tweet how this car targets 3-series? It'll have the lower CG, far better torque/acceleration and all that, but I'm not feeling an "ultimate driving" vibe. If he keeps the Bilstein coil overs, Model 3 owners should be happy. No bets. Something else will probably have to give for that "taxi/space" ride.

I've heard this argument on other Tesla topics. Like when the UI changed and the uproar that caused before anyone had actually seen it and USED it. I reserve my judgement and opinion for when I've actually experienced something - for obvious reasons.
What I'm getting at above, with AP animation taking over the Model S dash. As he did that, I think it's reasonable to expect Model 3 innards let autonomy trump everything else.

What is the reason that you would need a HUD? I don't get it.
Keeping ones eyes on the road. There's been this problem with people looking at screens, and touching them. I think NHTSA keeps numbers.

One thing that's impressed me is how AP crashes when offset obstacles come up fast, on highways. The couple of cars I saw don't deflect, or spin out into others. They correct almost entirely within a single lane, a lot faster than I think the driver had anything to do with. I am awed by Tesla, but see conflict between required awareness and a sacrifice being made to foster an image for the company. The car isn't a taxi, and its owners won't be in space.

Last edited:
I like looking straight through a windshield. My peripheral vision gets worse the further I look away. Distance-to-periphery may be more important than all this stuff about HUD focal points. In the end, it seems neither will matter. There's going to be lots of info further to the right, and down, from speed. Are my high beams on? Can the AP cameras still see those lane markers?

When AP came, I never wanted to see what the sensors saw when I was doing the driving, but I've been stuck ever since the "update". Model 3 similarly ups the game against drivers, telling you what you really want is a ride in a taxi. Musk's vision. No different than a space ship, really. Taxi/Space, there's no need to look out the "windshield" of either. Model 3 is baked. This is what's coming.

Disagree, as Volt1's center stack hid the climate controls, and constantly had its drivers rotating between media, climate, and other info screens. They were touch, not tactile, and double-strikes were common on mine.

Agree. I once wondered how far Elon was going to go past the EV/Environment thing, and he's doing it with autonomy. In part, low gas prices required this extra ace in the hole, but to then see him tweet how this car targets 3-series? It'll have the lower CG, far better torque/acceleration and all that, but I'm not feeling an "ultimate driving" vibe. If he keeps the Bilstein coil overs, Model 3 owners should be happy. No bets. Something else will probably have to give for that "taxi/space" ride.

What I'm getting at above, with AP animation taking over the Model S dash. As he did that, I think it's reasonable to expect Model 3 innards let autonomy trump everything else.

Keeping ones eyes on the road. There's been this problem with people looking at screens, and touching them. I think NHTSA keeps numbers.

One thing that's impressed me is how AP crashes when offset obstacles come up fast, on highways. The couple of cars I saw don't deflect, or spin out into others. They correct almost entirely within a single lane, a lot faster than I think the driver had anything to do with. I am awed by Tesla, but see conflict between required awareness and a sacrifice being made to foster an image for the company. The car isn't a taxi, and its owners won't be in space.
Thanks for the response, however you didn't answer the question.

My question is: Why do you need HUD. In other words.....why do you need to see what HUD displays?

I agree with Elon for a reason that he didn't mention. I don't need to know any of the information on my dash. I never really check it - Ever. The only thing I check occasionally is where my gas gauge is.

Everyone be honest....How much time do you spend looking at your dashboard while driving?

My mothers' HUD is just the most distracting thing I've ever seen in a car. She has a 2017 Buick LaCross. She loves the novelty of it because she has never seen anything like that. The only new technology that I actually use is the little light that comes on in the side mirror when someone is in the blind spot. Actually I don't even need that because the car shakes the steering wheel if I try to change lanes with someone in my blind spot. But I digress.

What information inside of a HUD do you need to constantly see?

Actually question is not important because the M3 will NOT have HUD. Thank goodness.

Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
What information inside of a HUD do you need to constantly see?

Actually question is not important because the M3 will NOT have HUD. Thank goodness.
I'm not so sure. I'm still holding out hope that there will be a HUD. He gave direct yes or no answers to some of the questions posed to him but his answers relating to a HUD were somewhat ambiguous. The closest he came to being definitive was 1 screen vs 2 in the S. But even with that if they add a HUD to the S/X first (as would be expected) and then the 3 there could still be 2 screens in the S and only 1 in the 3 (plus HUDs in both).

In regards to the landscape LCD being integrated into the dash better (earlier questions), I saw on one of the test drive videos that the entire point of having it jut out is to give the driver easier access to the screen (in addition to passenger). Seems they may not integrate it because then you pull the whole dash forward into the car and potentially mess with the view.

Also, this could be because I live in a suburban/city mixed area, but why is everybody so concerned about knowing if their brights are on? I can't remember the last time I used them in my ICE, and the Teslas have decent auto brights for when no cars are around in more rural areas.