Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD ("Heads Up Display") Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk tweeted today that there will be no heads up display, as reported on Electrek today...suggesting that the Center Console 15 inch display will be the only driver display in the car. An image was shown with the speedometer display on the upper left of the center mounted screen. I am concerned that a center mounted screen is a very bad way to display the info that we now see on our dashboard. A dashboard is the closest that information can be displayed to where our line of sight should be for safe driving. A heads up display, which superimposes information on the windshield, is even closer to our line of sight, but there is some concern that this type of "augmented reality" over the view of the road ahead may prove too distracting. I've used some heads up displays and found them effective and not more distracting than the standard dashboard. But asking a driver to look down and to the right just to see the speedometer is a really bad idea. And think about all of the other info the fine car makers of the world put on the dashboard for us to see now, just so we DON'T need to look elsewhere. I'm surprised at Elon. This is the first clearly bad decision I've seen him make.
1490394960_TeslaDisplay.jpg

To be clear, Elon has never came right out and said there would be no HUD. Read the tweets above, and he cleverly never says there will not be a HUD. He has said a lot about what the 3 will not have, and he has never said outright that the 3 will not have a HUD.

My guess is that the car that comes out this year will not have a HUD and that it will be added to S/X first, more then likely with the interior refresh and 2170 packs towards the end of this year.

Elon is being very coy about the HUD and sidestepping instead of directly shooting it down. Again, there will be no HUD this year for the 3. And you dont really need it, even though you want it.

Anyone who is canceling their reservations should drive the car first. My guess is they will cope with the lack of a instrument cluster/HUD.

Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
When has Elon said anything conclusive about there BEING a HUD? Ignore the 'spaceship' comment, we don't know what that means. It could have meant 'autonomous', it could have meant something he had planned for them to do if AP2.0 didn't work out (before MobileEye flaked on them). You can't say 'Elon has never come right out and said there would be no HUD' when he has never said there would BE one.

I agree we/I want AP status, etc., in front of us and I like what the S and X show. But I still don't know where he said anything that morphed into 'we getting a HUD!' and now we're being denied something that never actually was promised.

When has Elon said anything conclusive about there BEING a HUD? Ignore the 'spaceship' comment, we don't know what that means. It could have meant 'autonomous', it could have meant something he had planned for them to do if AP2.0 didn't work out (before MobileEye flaked on them). You can't say 'Elon has never come right out and said there would be no HUD' when he has never said there would BE one.

I agree we/I want AP status, etc., in front of us and I like what the S and X show. But I still don't know where he said anything that morphed into 'we getting a HUD!' and now we're being denied something that never actually was promised.
I believe the biggest argument was and where all of this HUD stuff originated from was they had hired someone from Skully, which is now defunct company that was creating HUD for motorcycle helmets.

But you are correct, Elon has never stated there would be a HUD. But I think he is being coy and evading answering the question directly.

Reactions: alseTrick
I've driven the Yaris a few times years ago and it had the instrument cluster in the center. It feels a bit weird at first but once you get used to it, it's actually pretty nice as it allows for the speedometer to be up higher than if it was right in front of you.

Most people here seem to think that not having a center instrument cluster on the M3 would be like not having it in the MS or MX. That's obviously not the case as the display in the M3 is higher and extends further to the left than the center consoles in those cars. Without having actually sat in the car it's impossible to say for sure but I'd be surprised if you didn't have to move your eyes less in the M3 than in the MS to see the speed. I'm 6'4" so maybe I'm a bit biased but still.

As for the wife seeing how fast you were going the Yaris had the speedometer tilted towards the driver and sunk down a bit of a tube such that the passenger could see anything. No such luck with the M3.

I do think they will continue to innovate on the Model 3, but more advanced tech will first be revealed on the Model S/X then rolled in to 3/Y.
Tesla's main priority is to focus on getting Model 3 to market on time and keep the production simpler for the first run. Hence why they are only doing single motor before dual-motor.
So i think a HUD is a possibility or maybe even VR glasses or whatever you could make sense of. But that will have to wait till version 2 of Model 3

I didn't want a HUD anyway, so I am fine with this. I want 2 LCD screen displays just like what the Model S has.
Don't worry. You will be able to add a smartphone/tabled behind the steering wheel and also watch your favorite TV-shows there,
because there is nothing else to see actually. Windshield washer fluid low notification will be on the central display.

Elon dodged answering the question. He does not want to reveal the feature this early. I believe HUD or something similar will be available as a paid option. The same feature will be available in X and S before Model 3 arrives.

This should put the matter as to whether or not there will be a HUD to rest...unless you don't believe what Elon says. Frankly, I have found him to be very true to his word. There will be no HUD.

Elon Musk talks Tesla Model 3 display again, shows confidence in ‘Tesla Vision’ or ‘spaceship-like steering controls’
As we reported last week, Elon Musk did everything but confirmed that the Tesla Model 3 will not feature a head-up display (HUD). Today, he went a step further and completely confirmed that there will be no HUD. The CEO seems confident that people will not mind.

Frankly, I will wait and see, but I am now getting so much great information on my Model S dashboard, in the most convenient and safe location to display it, that to show the sensor info, the entertainment info, the navigation info, on the center screen is, to me, just not as good. Maybe he is satisfied producing a lesser priced car that is just not as good, but I am surprised and disappointed.​

Since Elon is saying you don't need HUD or display in front of the driver because of AP, does that mean we should not buy the M3 if we don't purchase AP and they don't provide some type of display in front of the driver?

If the display is a clear step backwards from not just the S/X but also current cars from all other manufacturers, then yes, it might mean we shouldn't buy the car.

I think the second most important thing after speed is miles to go. After that, it's nothing that's needed, and there will probably be a dedicated screen to show that as well.

Having directions or what song is playing on the front dash is a thing that a lot of $35,000 cars do not have. My $35,000 car doesn't have it.

-smak-

A dedicated screen? Musk has said there is only one screen. So I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Must haves:
-speed
-prnd
-tacc/autosteer
(the above 3 are included in the reveal display)
-remaining charge/miles
-dashboard warning lights
-headlight/turn signal indicator
-autopilot display (lanes, vehicles, street signs, direction arrows, etc)

I'd also much prefer to have:
-compass and temperature (on the rearview mirror would be acceptable)
-energy consumption rate

All of that, plus a/c controls, radio controls, navigation, etc on the center display? Seems crowded and more distracting to view than current Teslas and Model 3 competitors.

What I find interesting is that nobody was complaining about the instrument panel in the S or X in addition to the center display. In fact I suspect that most loved it. Now that the 3 won't have such a screen, many are implying that not having it is the best thing since sliced bread. I honestly feel there's some degree of rationalization going on here.

Clearly. It's sad.

In regards to the landscape LCD being integrated into the dash better (earlier questions), I saw on one of the test drive videos that the entire point of having it jut out is to give the driver easier access to the screen (in addition to passenger). Seems they may not integrate it because then you pull the whole dash forward into the car and potentially mess with the view.

No. The view would not be messed with. Somehow drivers of all other vehicles with traditional dashboards are able to see just fine. It wouldn't take much material to integrate the screen (ie limited obstruction). Neither would it be complicated or expensive to integrate the screen.

No, the most important thing to Tesla now is to get *the right car* out the door. Not just "any car" :)

Ding ding ding.

Tesla didn't start by selling a typical weird mobile; they made the roadster.

So why would they want to start their foray into this new segment with an incomplete car?

400k reservations is a drop in the bucket compared to ICE sales If Elon wants to move EV's out of a niche role like he says he does his definition of Best needs to line up with the majority of ICE drivers, his thought of a compelling car needs to line up with the majority of ICE drivers. Decisions like the ones above don't mesh with what a typical ICE driver is looking for. It's not compelling them to switch over. How do I know? Because last year 400k people signed up for a model 3, while over 80 million bought an ICE car instead.

Agreed. I hate that lame argument: "Tesla isn't right for you. But something else. Tesla doesn't need you."

Like heck they don't. Isn't the purpose of Tesla to accelerate the adoption of EVs? Not sure how failing to provide basic amenities that every other manufacturer provides helps accomplish that goal.

The entire Model X dash was drastically changed to accommodate the production version w/ integrated display. Actually everything about the production interior looks different. Is that really going to happen with the 3?
View attachment 219811

It better.

Reactions: William3