Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD ("Heads Up Display") Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They said it clearly during the reveal presentation rides a year ago.

Q: No instrument cluster?
A(abridged): No instrument cluster. What you see in this engineering prototypes will be in production models. We don't have time.

At 1 minute mark.

Any "spaceship steering and controls" is probably a vision of a self driving car which you tell (voice recognition is a safe bet IMHO) where to drive and it does it for you...
No fiddling with wheel, buttons, etc. required.

Its too bad this video didn't get seen by more forum members. It would have saved an awful lot of people from being surprised and disappointed there wasn't going to be a second screen.
This video also gave a good look of the single slot air vent (1 minute mark) that is a new approach and one that may or may not be criticized once we know better how it works..

Its too bad this video didn't get seen by more forum members. It would have saved an awful lot of people from being surprised and disappointed there wasn't going to be a second screen.
This video also gave a good look of the single slot air vent (1 minute mark) that is a new approach and one that may or may not be criticized once we know better how it works..
Also gives some hope about the glass roof not being too ridiculously hot and requiring a sunshade. He mentioned that they "learned their lesson" from the X. I was leaning toward solid roof due to being in Florida, but this gives me pause.

Elon dodged answering the question. He does not want to reveal the feature this early. I believe HUD or something similar will be available as a paid option. The same feature will be available in X and S before Model 3 arrives.

I think Elon's answer of "It still has one display" is as direct an answer as you get for No HUD.

Can't understand why people still refuse to believe and set themselves up for disappointment later on....

Edit: Elon has now laid to rest any faint hopes that some of you may still have about HUD, as he replied directly to the question if Model 3 has HUD, and his answer was a "No".

Last edited:
I am not sure how high up the Model ≡'s speedometer is located. I think it is fine as long as it's high up touching the horizon of the windshield as in the case of Prius which also has shifted its dashboard away from the driver toward the center.

259664.jpg

Should be fine:

Tesla-Model-3-interior-touch-screen.jpg

Also looks a lot better/cleaner then the Prius, imo.

I just watched this review of the Prius Prime:

No comments about the centered dashboard.

Prius:

They mention it at 3:11 - "it's little bit odd looking.. but i promise, you will adapt".

Perhaps it's just not an issue ? :)

I'm more worried about touching the screen with my knees..

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
Elon's recent tweets seem to make it pretty clear that there will be no HUD in the 3. I have exactly no doubt that his "tweet storm" was dreamed up by the marketing team, probably wrestling with a decline in sales of the S/X.

I've been holding off on swapping my P85D for a 100D, expecting that there would be some upgrades announced on the S in the time before release of the 3 - UI, interior, other things? Knowing full well that I'm tossing my question into an echo chamber, any thoughts?

All the discussion and unjustified belief there would be a HUD or 2nd display simply ignored what the Tesla employee at the reveal clearly confirmed there would be no second instrument cluster display .
Starts at the 1:05

Reactions: BluestarE3
Having a big monitor out in the middle of the dashboard like that -- it just isn't a good idea! If my Challenger R/T has a monitor like that, it could constantly be in the way of me reaching over to things on the passenger side seat and floor.

Police cars have that special mount to hold a laptop, that is what this big awkwardly placed center monitor reminds me of.

Has anyone at Tesla considered putting a small connector in the corner of the area where a driver's display would be located, and let the 3rd party developers have at it? A miniature version of the under-dash diag port (OBDII) would be perfect, with power and access to the CAN bus (or a hacker-safe read-only copy of it). I bet there'd be plenty of companies out there that would love to create a snap-in custom display unit. Just a thought...

Reactions: Sean Wagner
Has anyone at Tesla considered putting a small connector in the corner of the area where a driver's display would be located, and let the 3rd party developers have at it? A miniature version of the under-dash diag port (OBDII) would be perfect, with power and access to the CAN bus (or a hacker-safe read-only copy of it). I bet there'd be plenty of companies out there that would love to create a snap-in custom display unit. Just a thought...
Something tells me Tesla isn't very 3rd party friendly...

Elon dodged answering the question. He does not want to reveal the feature this early. I believe HUD or something similar will be available as a paid option. The same feature will be available in X and S before Model 3 arrives.
I would like to know if Tesla will at least make the wiring and windshield glass plug and play ready for when a HUD does come available?

I would like to know if Tesla will at least make the wiring and windshield glass plug and play ready for when a HUD does come available?

No no. There is no reason to add a hundred dollars manufacturing cost per vehicle. Actually aftermarket solutions that are available right now usually work over Bluetooth. OEM HUD will not be there. Aka will not be available nor come available in near future on M3.

For context, I drive a Prius plug-in with HUD and radar cruise control and I have had this car for over 2 years (and absolutely love the car). The car also has a digital speedometer that is left of the centerline but definitely not directly in front of the driver. The HUD was a fun toy for the first month. Now it goes unnoticed and rarely used. It was easy to get used to the speedometer by looking to the right. The radar cruise control works great and we rely on it to control our speed when in traffic.

I think there is a good chance that the TM3 will have an audio readout of speed that will be user programmable for frequency of readout. or when the speed changes by more than 5mph. The user may program a digital speedometer on the screen if desired.

HUD has no appeal to me. Been there done that. Audio readout has huge appeal as well as some form of autopilot which will include radar cruise control.

Not sure why you're laughing at him. It wouldn't be the first time Tesla or other automakers for that matter have included wiring regardless of whether or not the car is sold with a particular option. The wires for upgraded lighting packages are on all Model-S cars for example. Years ago Pontiac included DIC and HUD wiring on all Grand Prix's and that was in the 90's. It's done quite often. For a HUD all it takes is a data cable and power. Cheap.

I think there is a good chance that the TM3 will have an audio readout of speed that will be user programmable for frequency of readout.
Beep, beep, beep - noup, not going to happen.
But I do expect that Model 3 will have speed limiter, at least in EU. As it adds points to safety test.
So rather than setting any cruise speed, you set speed limit over which speed does not go even if you almost floor it (up to 99% throttle).
And Tesla, being a smart vehicle, can set speed limit dynamically according to signs. So if it sees a sign
50, it sets speed limit to the value according to value in options. For example +5, so 55. A dream for manual driving scenario.
Right now I have to set my limit manually every time speed limit changes.

Also possible to make speed reading RED if you did not set any limiters and you speed more than xx value set in options.
I can easily see when my tiny "speed limit value" blinks - this happens if I override it with full throttle.

Beep Beep is not going to happen. I want to listen for things I listen, not spaceship sounds.