Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD ("Heads Up Display") Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quote my entire post.. I explained it below.

If you are ever in Chicago....look me up...I'll show real AR to you. Walking Robots that can define 3D objects based on pictures alone.
Robots that can recognize gestures in real time. Such as the common hello wave or a fist bump hello and either wave back or ball up their fists for a return fist bump. That's AR.

We should not start mixing technology such as that into a common definition of HUD. Someone needs to inform Webster if that's where you guys got the definition from.

The robot in itself is still not AR. Now, if you as a human being can see what the robot is seeing and identifying (overlaid on the actual scene) then that is AR.

Definition of AUGMENTED REALITY

Cozmo robots do AR:
1476465478_458_Cozmo-is-an-adorable-robot-companion-that-could-rule-the-holidays.PNG

cozmo_lift-up-300x300.jpg

When the explore mode is off and you no longer have the display, it's still doing object recognition, but it's no longer AR.

But yes I agree HUD != AR and likewise AR != HUD but there can exist an AR HUD.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Model 3 and dsvick
It would appear to me, someone without a scientific/academic background in AR or AI, that some here are using AR to describe something that sounds like AI.
Either or both could be part of a HUD system, or AI could be part of AR, but one is not the same as the other.

Reactions: Model 3
To me AR augments the reality you see so you need glasses or a screen to view "reality" and have something projected into it that can interact with what you see. The difference between a HUD and AR is that AR can interact with things you see. For example, you look at a table and a truck will appear to drive on it and bounce over the pencil on it and get blocked by a book. A HUD would just overlay info on your field of view.

To me AR augments the reality you see so you need glasses or a screen to view "reality" and have something projected into it that can interact with what you see. The difference between a HUD and AR is that AR can interact with things you see. For example, you look at a table and a truck will appear to drive on it and bounce over the pencil on it and get blocked by a book. A HUD would just overlay info on your field of view.

You can't really contrast against a HUD because a HUD can have AR. You might clarify and say a dumb HUD.

Example: This is a HUD with AR
F-18_HUD_gun_symbology.jpeg

Due to the simple fact that it has highlighted the other plane makes it an AR HUD instead of a dumb HUD because the information is augmenting the real object. It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it's still AR.

Modern AR HUDs like the Microsoft HoloLens do some cool things such as with 3D environment mapping (not necessarily required for AR)

• Funny
Reactions: Topher
You can't really contrast against a HUD because a HUD can have AR. You might clarify and say a dumb HUD.

Example: This is a HUD with AR
F-18_HUD_gun_symbology.jpeg

Due to the simple fact that it has highlighted the other plane makes it an AR HUD instead of a dumb HUD because the information is augmenting the real object. It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it's still AR.

Modern AR HUDs like the Microsoft HoloLens do some cool things such as with 3D environment mapping (not necessarily required for AR)

To me, you need more than just the ability to identify and circle an object for AR. Smart HUD is fine but that's still not AR to me. There needs to be interaction and 3D ability.

We are talking about a fine line here that in the end won't matter much.

I think a "smart HUD" is very likely with advanced features like identifying threats (cars, objects,people) and things like that.

To me, you need more than just the ability to identify and circle an object for AR. Smart HUD is fine but that's still not AR to me. There needs to be interaction and 3D ability.

I think a "smart HUD" is very likely with advanced features like identifying threats (cars, objects,people) and things like that.
What you think is AR and what is, by definition, AR might be two slightly different things.

Reactions: dsvick

AR would be any augmentation of what you would see normally. So, it could well be as simple as a circle or some lines.

My thinking is that, if there is a HUD, you'll only get AR (if they even have it) if you get the EAP, that way they would be able to use the additional cameras and sensors to augment with. Either way, we'll have a good idea if they announce a HUD for the Model S and X first.

AR would be any augmentation of what you would see normally. So, it could well be as simple as a circle or some lines.

My thinking is that, if there is a HUD, you'll only get AR (if they even have it) if you get the EAP, that way they would be able to use the additional cameras and sensors to augment with. Either way, we'll have a good idea if they announce a HUD for the Model S and X first.
You just contradicted yourself. Is a simple HUD with lines AR or not?

You just contradicted yourself. Is a simple HUD with lines AR or not?
No I didn't. A HUD with anything added to it would be a HUD with AR. Even if it was just a box around cars close to you, or a flashing icon above a speed limit sign.

Here is the test-

If Tesla puts a HUD in the 3 that just displays speed, state of charge charge and turn signals and markets that as Augmented Reality will people be mad?

Absolutely, IMO.
I wouldn't be mad but it sure would be misleading.

Does anyone else think a HUD is a very complicated way to solve a simple problem?
Robin
HUDs aren't complicated, adding AR and other things might make it complicated. And the problem isn't necessarily simple either. The goal is to get the right amount of needed information to the driver at the right time in such a way that it is as safe as possible. A HUD is one way to do that, as is a regular dashboard, or a center mounted, 15" diagonal, landscape oriented screen.

Reactions: JeffK