Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD ("Heads Up Display") Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw a show about brain damage recently where they mentioned that some people could only look up and down because that is easier for the brain than looking side to side.

Yeah, just move your yeah and think of eye movement. You can maintain clear vision shaking your head up and down at a somewhat fast rate. It's a lot easier than shaking your head left to right at the same speed.

Reactions: slipnslider
I seriously doubt that is true to any significant degree.
The question is, when driving a two ton hunk of metal at speed north of 60mph, around other traffic doing the same, just how much time is significant?

Don't get me wrong, I won't give up my reservation. If the Model 3 only has a center console screen for all data, I won't be buying it without being able to test drive it.

Yes, you nailed it. We're so used to having dedicated instruments [something] in the center. But it doesn't need to be.
It doesnt need to be, but it also doesn't need to be CHANGED. Some things are already perfected designs and messing with them just to be "new" or "different" only makes them worse.

For me it's not just about the lack of a traditional instrument cluster, it's the fact that that giant laptop screen is in your face the whole time screaming "NEW TECHNOLOGY WHEEEEEE!" at you nonstop.

I work with screens in my face all day. I don't want them in my face when I drive as well.

I predict a day when consumers actually start wanting analogue gauges in cars again, even electric cars. There is something more organic and human about physical dials and wheels.

I once heard a lecture on the reason digital watches never took over, and it's because a digital watch only tells you what time it is RIGHT NOW. An analogue watch tells you what time it is, but also gives you an subconscious feeling of where you've BEEN and where you're GOING to be.

Last edited:
I work with screens in my face all day. I don't want them in my face when I drive as well.

I predict a day when consumers actually start wanting analogue gauges in cars again, even electric cars. There is something more organic and human about physical dials and wheels.
I've had analog gauges a plenty, and I'll pass on going back. Some consumers may follow your prediction, but this one generally looks forward and not back. When looking out of a huge windshield at the world, a screen is not "in your face." What's in your face is the world in front of you. Now, if Tesla chooses to remove the windshield and replace it with a huge screen, you've got something of an argument.

Meh. I've been checking to see how hard it would be to glance at my Volt infotainment screen for speed while driving, and it is no harder and takes no more time than when I glance at the screen behind the steering wheel. Heck, I use the infotainment screen for Android Auto Google maps navigation and I glance there to see my next turn/what streets are coming up with zero issues, and getting speedometer info is much simpler. The Model 3 screen looks to be higher and is big enough to extend closer to the steering wheel than the Volt screen. I'd have to sit in one to be sure, but right now I see no issues with having only the center screen other than it being something new for many people.

I was also a little worried about the AP info, but the more I've thought about it, the less concerned I am. Right now, AP should be hands on and full attention at all times ready to take over at any moment, so any experienced driver should be able to know by steering wheel movement/visual cues whether or not intervention is needed, and someone glancing down to see what AP sees before intervening is getting distracted and putting himself in needless danger. If FSD ever comes through, then since Tesla will be assuming responsibility for any liability then, it'll be secure enough then that I shouldn't need visual cues on a screen to let me know what AP is seeing, since even if I am watching the screen and see a discrepancy, it'll likely be too late anyway for me to intervene. Again, I'll have to sit in the actual car to be sure, but for now only one screen doesn't seem egregious.

• Disagree
Reactions: 3mp_kwh
Elon's recent tweets seem to make it pretty clear that there will be no HUD in the 3. I have exactly no doubt that his "tweet storm" was dreamed up by the marketing team, probably wrestling with a decline in sales of the S/X.

I've been holding off on swapping my P85D for a 100D, expecting that there would be some upgrades announced on the S in the time before release of the 3 - UI, interior, other things? Knowing full well that I'm tossing my question into an echo chamber, any thoughts?

Knowing full well that I'm tossing my question into an echo chamber, any thoughts?

Yes. What exactly is a "barbed wire soul" and why does it make you stand like that?

Hud_moviep.jpg

I think that Tesla has been stretched quite thin with the Model 3 and AP2 work. I'm with you, though. I'd really love to see new features in the MS. Frankly, I'd even be happy with just some bug fixes and minor improvements to software alone. But, I don't think that's where Tesla's focus is. And I suspect the M3 will demand a lot of engineering resources for at least all of 2017.

In the tweet, Elon did not say that the display setup in production will be exactly as we have seen it to-date. He said it doesn't have a second display. Those are two different statements. He also said in the past that what we have seen is not the "real steering system" and that "it looks like a spaceship".

My guess is that the big boxy central display is a cunning distraction/place holder that goes away, with a combination of HUD available all the time, and controls and screen on the center of the "steering system" to use when in manual mode.

Oh - also wondering if the "steering system" will collapse into the dash in autonomous mode, allowing you to work - or recline and sleep.

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
When looking out of a huge windshield at the world, a screen is not "in your face."
The problem is that the prototype's non-integrated panel is overly intrusive and kludgy, not that it blocks road vision. It's reminiscent of the ubiquitous desktop computer display which is fine for an office, but for a car it screams quick-and-dirty "afterthought". The Model 3 desperately needs a clean source of dashboard instrumentation rather than that rude, cheap looking, entity. Bad industrial design work.

People (those that have been driving for a year or more) still need to look at their speedometer to know how fast they are going? Really? Don't any of you just instinctually know by feel how fast you're going? I do. My Model 3 can have the speed displayed on the seat under my butt and I'll be fine. *shrug*
When I'm in a new (to me) car, I have to check it often to get to know how that car "feels". Speed does feels different in different cars. Later I still have to check it from time to time to be sure that I do not "forget". And I do only know the approximate speed without looking, not the exact speed. And the approximate speed is not good enough when I pass speed traps or cops. So yes, I do look at my speedometer quite regularly when I'm driving, and I have been driving for "a bit" over one year ;)