Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Huper Optik vs 3M Crystalline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had huper optik on my BMW. Ive tinted 3 other cars with mid grade ceramic tint. Huper optik was the best but totally not worth paying twice as much. $900 for tint is ridiculous. Especially when you can just set your test to activate cabin cooling (fan only or AC) and precooler the vehicle.

If you do window tint, I recommend the following order:
1) doing the sides first (30 or darker)

2) then the windshield (air 80 is rather nice and cuts glare inside in addition to radiation).

The front and the sides are where most of the continuous unfiltered radiation will hit your body the most and so is very useful.

3) getting the tesla sunshade for the glass above you (its removable in the cooler seasons so better than blacking out a glass roof you paid big money for)

4) doing the back window

5) then doing the front roof glass

If you plan on doing all the above thrn consider paying $400 more for the extra 5% of radiation filter you get from a more premium tint. Otherwise your going about it in a much less efficient manor.

I went with the front in air 80, and the sides in a ceramic llumer 30 (would have gone darker if they had 25). Left the rear untinted.

I live in Vegas with the most sun radiation of any state outside AZ or NM. With cabin cooling set to fan only, and using precooling while Im walking to my car, this has been the best value by far. $450 vs $1200+ for the whole car in huper optik. Not as good, but good enough.

Would consider the roof sunshade next if I weren’t moving to California this fall. Not reslly considering the rear and I can just precool the cabin in the summer/save $300

All that said, if you want to spend the money do it. I highly recommend doing the windshield in a light tint and getting the sunshade too though.

Great post. Practical and what I was thinking but no one ever tries. Vegas experience helps too.

I think tint is definitely overrated in what it does for heat. I'm pretty unimpressed with crystalline.

I wish I'd seen this before tinting mine... Had to redo my rear window because of a crease and some of the defroster lines were damaged even though the tinter was very experienced. Needless to say the repair doesn't look great, but I'm done wasting time on tint.

Reactions: ElectricGhost
I really liked Pinnacle Formula One by Llumar on my Audi and BMW. Reasonably priced in the high end ceramic range.
Who's doing partial rear vs full rear?

Agreed on the Llumar FormulaOne Value vs Performance - CTX<Pinnacle<Stratos

Pinnacle is a great compromise of Value vs Performance in a quality ceramic film IMO.

And NO, you don't want a partial rear tint, looks like garbage with a clear line from the inside looking out. :eek:

Basic 5-window (Front/Rear Sides + 1-Piece Rear) Quote:
  • Pinnacle $499
  • Stratos $749
Add-Ons:
  • Windshield in AIR80 - $150
  • Windshield in Stratos 70% $200
  • Sunroof in AIR80 - $125
  • Sunroof in Stratos - $200
I agree. The issue is whether it bothers you if the rear glass and the sunroof portion match or not. I did 35% on the sunroof area just to match, but it's DARK. Should have just bought the Tesla sunshade like WesC recommended.

Exactly why I plan to go Pinnacle 40% on all glass AND sunroof to keep all tinting even for my OCD. ;) Plus I'll step up to Stratos 70% over the standard AIR80 for the windshield protection.

Side note 3M Crystalline typically has more of a brownish hue as shown in the earlier pictures vs Llumar which has more of a charcoal or grey hue, or AIR80 for example which is blue-ish.

3M Chrystalline quotes in my area where $1200+... No thanks for a couple points here or there on the specs charts when Llumar Stratos specs are basically identical.

Attachments

• Llumar FormulaOne Tint Specs.pdf
    107.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 3M Crystalline Tint Specs.pdf
    6.3 MB · Views: 127
Last edited: