Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricane Irma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In other news, Jose still has no bloody clue where he's going.

AL12_2017091500_ECENS_large.png

AL12_2017091500_GEFS_large.png

An encouraging sign however is that it may not matter that much if he makes landfall, because the vast majority of the landfalling tracks have consistently appeared to be rather low intensity. We're not talking a Sandy here. Hmm, is anywhere on the US east coast in a drought and could use some rainfall? If so I'll root for a nice tropical storm to head their way :)

Reactions: DiamondHands
Sandy made landfall as just a tropical storm (dropped just below cat 1), but it did so much damage because it was a huge storm. Jose is a lot smaller and the Northeast does occasionally get a hurricane, but I don't think anyone wants to see another hurricane make landfall in the US this year!

There are more tropical storms out there than usual right now. 3 in the Atlantic that range from a disturbance with potential to Jose which is currently just a tropical cyclone, though it's expected to turn back into a hurricane. In the eastern Pacific there are three storms too, though Pacific hurricanes tend to either blow out into the middle of the Pacific and die, or when they do come onshore in Mexico, they tend to be weaker than Atlantic storms.

I'm watching the disturbance that is currently mid-Atlantic on the same latitude as Panama. That's following pretty much the same track as Irma did. It hasn't formed into an actual tropical storm yet, but they predict there is an 80% chance it will.

Still no power. I bought a new air bed at target and I'm gonna sleep GREAT in the car tonight. My bf even decided to try getting in here with me, and he was surprised that it feels roomy with the glass roof. I could see his wheels turning about or next road trip.

I returned to work today, and was in a weird place mentally. I didn't like it at all and didn't know why. I was looking forward to seeing my employees in person to really see they are safe, so what was it? I finally figured out it was almost like survivor's guilt since my bf was left here all day dealing with the heat while he minded the generator. When I got home, I found him in a pretty dark mood as well, ready to give up and leave. Power is expected to come back on tomorrow. The aquarium temp had been rising and with no ice to be had anywhere our rotating of ice packs was at a pace that the freezer and physics couldn't keep up with it. For whatever reason, the chiller just wouldn't run while on the generator but it was still plugged in. I made him take a break and we drove all over looking for a window ac unit but couldn't find one. We ate and came back and I loaded the refugium with fresh ice packs from the freezer. Out of nowhere, the chiller kicked on finally! We only had one casualty, a hawkfish, who was mean anyway.

We're both in MUCH better moods now. Guess I'll have to work from home tomorrow...

If you do not get your power back today, you guys are welcome to run over to my place in S Tampa, plug in for a charge, and have a few adult beverages while enjoying our A/C. Just PM me and let me know!!!!!

I returned to work today, and was in a weird place mentally. I didn't like it at all and didn't know why.

It's been strange for many of us; we had several friends evacuate from low-lying areas to our house, school has been closed all week, power off for 3 days so constant hum of the generator, internet down for 4 days, we all feel tired from the stress. Still, we're lucky that we have no real building damage and we all survived in one piece.

As a family we just decided to take a peaceful, quiet, relaxing weekend starting right now....Fingers crossed that your power is back on soon and you get some down time also!

Reactions: e-FTW and Btrflyl8e
If you do not get your power back today, you guys are welcome to run over to my place in S Tampa, plug in for a charge, and have a few adult beverages while enjoying our A/C. Just PM me and let me know!!!!!
Thanks! Word on the street is we're getting restored around 8 tonight. I'll believe it when I see it, because I just heard thunder...

I'm hoping we do so I can open that bottle of Dom I've been keeping cold with the generator all damn week

Reactions: KarenRei
Luckily I'm a positive person, so once I got home and saw how bad he was feeling I had to pull myself out if it and take him with me. By bedtime we were crying laughing, mostly because he noticed that the neighborhood behind us got power back and went on the most foul mouthed tirade you ever heard. I noticed it hours early but kept my mouth shut. Seriously, when he started ranting I couldn't hold it in, so many f bombs and just ridiculous, I was doubled over laughing. Then he cracked a little smile and went on some more. He wrapped it up with "EVEN THE M F-ing FISH HAVE POWER AND ARE COOL BEFORE US!" And he finally started laughing at himself.

Granted, he might have had a few cocktails right before all that. Lol. He actually tried out sleeping in the Tesla with me, too. He didn't stay cuz he got handsy and I had to kick him out, but he was impressed with how roomy and comfy it is. After you've been sweaty and exhausted, ain't nobody got time or patience for hanky panky in the back of the damn car!

Thanks! Word on the street is we're getting restored around 8 tonight. I'll believe it when I see it, because I just heard thunder...

I'm hoping we do so I can open that bottle of Dom I've been keeping cold with the generator all damn week

We are home tomorrow too. Just pm me and I'll give you my cell phone number. You will be able to charge your car, have that all important beverage, and be in a place with no fish.

And it seems you share my wife's feelings about the "hands" issue.

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
We are home tomorrow too. Just pm me and I'll give you my cell phone number. You will be able to charge your car, have that all important beverage, and be in a place with no fish.

And it seems you share my wife's feelings about the "hands" issue.
Sorry about your hands.

Luckily car charging isn't an issue since the supercharger at Wawa opened. We save that as our escape when we just can't take it in the late afternoon. Plus, tonight they had a bag of ice. Can't find ice anywhere around here. Ridiculous.

Power back for 50% Collier (Naples area) residents but still boil water plus other issues with residents discouraged to generate any wastewater:

Emergency Post-Hurricane Irma Update
Right, whenever you start to feel sorry for yourself you just need to realize others have it worse. We had good water and a working fridge the whole time, so it was just uncomfortable really. I don't know how they deal with all THAT.

Reactions: Cyclone
We were part of the last 4% in Pinellas and another county to be restored. At around 12:30pm today we went to buy a new garbage can and basically get out of the stifling heat in the house. We drove through other streets in our neighborhood first, hoping to see a power truck finally. There were trucks on every street! That was a good sign and our next door neighbor texted us just before 2 that power was back on. Good thing we were in the tesla so we could get back quickly!

Reactions: KarenRei
We were part of the last 4% in Pinellas and another county to be restored. At around 12:30pm today we went to buy a new garbage can and basically get out of the stifling heat in the house. We drove through other streets in our neighborhood first, hoping to see a power truck finally. There were trucks on every street! That was a good sign and our next door neighbor texted us just before 2 that power was back on. Good thing we were in the tesla so we could get back quickly!

Glad you are back up and running. The invitation to drop by for a charge and an adult beverage remains open regardless of your power situation!!!

• Love
Reactions: Btrflyl8e
Glad you are back up and running. The invitation to drop by for a charge and an adult beverage remains open regardless of your power situation!!!
Love you, mean it! Your invitation meant more to me than you know, and I wouldn't take out to you today had it not come back on. Just as long as you didn't get handsy. HAHAHA

We need a tesla meet up!