Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricane Irma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To our long time TMC friends from the west coast of Florida, like @Larry Chanin and @NigelM, not sure you evacuated from the Sarasota area but, wishing you the very best.
Thank you. I don't know Nigel's situation. Perhaps he'll post his plans.

My wife and I are riding it out. Our home is fairly new and built to recent hurricane standards and we've got storm shutters on all windows. The winds are currently forecast for gusts up to 140 mph. We are located outside of any of the areas designated as evacuation zones based on storm surge. Nevertheless, the current NOAA storm track puts it right over the top of us.

Larry

Last edited:
For anyone who has friends or relatives behind in surge-risk coastal areas and can't get them out, share this with them

Story Map Series

The storm surge on the northeast side of the eye at landfall will be at least that of a typical Cat 4, regardless of the final windspeed in the eye, due to the storm's size. So click the Cat 4 and Cat 5 tabs at the top, then zoom into the area of concern. Even areas far away from the eye will have surge; Jacksonville's surge, for example, will be typical of a Cat 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: e-FTW
Thank you. I don't know Nigel's situation. Perhaps he'll post his plans.

My wife and I are riding it out. Our home is fairly new and built to recent hurricane standards and we've got storm shutters on all windows. The winds are currently forecast for gusts up to 140 mph. We are located outside of any of the areas designated as evacuation zones based on storm surge. Nevertheless, the current NOAA storm track puts it right over the top of us.

Larry
I do not envy you, I hope things work out well for you

Reactions: Johann Koeber
Located in Venice and along the current path of the eye, any major issues max charging (100%) before the storm in the event we are without power for an extended period?

Are you kidding me? Click the surge map I linked just above and pick a category. The results of five are very much a real possibility (even if the windspeeds are lower), given the huge physical extent of the storm (which amplifies the surge - for example, as with Ike), if you get the northeast side at high tide.

If you get hit by the surge, forget about your Tesla; you're part of the ocean until the storm ends.

Are you kidding me? Click the surge map I linked just above and pick a category. The results of five are very much a real possibility (even if the windspeeds are lower), given the huge physical extent of the storm (which amplifies the surge - for example, as with Ike), if you get the northeast side at high tide.

If you get hit by the surge, forget about your Tesla; you're part of the ocean until the storm ends.

Newer construction with hurricane shutters and not located in a major flood zone. More worried about wind and extended loss of power than flooding. May max charge in the AM before the worst of it arrives. Hope the Sarasota Supercharger is back up quickly after the storm for alternate charging option.

Newer construction with hurricane shutters and not located in a major flood zone. More worried about wind and extended loss of power than flooding. May max charge in the AM before the worst of it arrives. Hope the Sarasota Supercharger is back up quickly after the storm for alternate charging option.

This is very much possible with this storm if you catch the northeast side of the eye at high tide:

s5.jpg

I am in Tampa in flood zone A one block from the bay. Spent all morning moving stuff (including mono amps and stereo speakers that weight around 100-120 lbs each) to our second floor. Now just hope the roof stays put.

We evacuated to a friend's house in N Tampa (extremely high elevation of probably at least 30'). I was worried about my tesla, but the City of Tampa opened their garages in downtown Tampa. My car is safely on the third floor of the parking garage for our hockey arena, tucked near 2 zambonis.

Just hope the house doesn't get flooded. My floor level is around 12 ft. I figure we are safe up to 10 foot storm surge.

To all my Tesla friends in Florida, please stay safe!

I am in Tampa in flood zone A one block from the bay. Spent all morning moving stuff (including mono amps and stereo speakers that weight around 100-120 lbs each) to our second floor. Now just hope the roof stays put.

We evacuated to a friend's house in N Tampa (extremely high elevation of probably at least 30'). I was worried about my tesla, but the City of Tampa opened their garages in downtown Tampa. My car is safely on the third floor of the parking garage for our hockey arena, tucked near 2 zambonis.

Just hope the house doesn't get flooded. My floor level is around 12 ft. I figure we are safe up to 10 foot storm surge.

To all my Tesla friends in Florida, please stay safe!
Hi Steve,

Good luck. Mary Ellen and I are going to follow your advice and we've already started to drink wine. Fortunately Mary Ellen has a nice collection. By the time the big winds get here we won't even know it. ;-)

Regards,

Larry

• Funny
Reactions: ModelX
I'm in Seminole, in Zone E so here I sit. We boarded up what we could, all pool furniture stashed away or in the pool. If the track hadn't shifted so much we might have headed out of here, but we're 35ft above sea level, so I'm not really worried about flooding. I'm a little concerned about my roof, as my house was built in 1959. The house itself is block. My car is set to charge the last 10% to full tonight.

This is gonna be a crazy ride.

Reactions: Cyclone
I'm in Seminole, in Zone E so here I sit. We boarded up what we could, all pool furniture stashed away or in the pool. If the track hadn't shifted so much we might have headed out of here, but we're 35ft above sea level, so I'm not really worried about flooding. I'm a little concerned about my roof, as my house was built in 1959. The house itself is block. My car is set to charge the last 10% to full tonight.

This is gonna be a crazy ride.
Good luck Christal!

Larry

Larry, stay safe.

Storm surge will be massive in SW FL. We're more vulnerable due to flat topography (great in winter but awful now)

Suggesting a 15' level in Fort Myers and starting in area south of Marco they are projecting 17 Miles of flooding. Yep, 17 miles.

Communities on the eastern side of i75 in my neck of woods will also see flooding. We also have shutters and are a bit off coast but they're projecting 3-6' by my home.

East coast getting hammered now by tornadoes and you will see same since on ne side of storm.

So.....be vigilant and best wishes.