Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Huuuge Wheelbase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see that no one else has noticed the enormous wheelbase of this truck. Compare it in the picture with the F150 Crew Cab.

The Crew Cab is hella long, but the Cybertruck is much longer. This means a giant turning radius, unless 4-wheel steering. (Which I doubt it'll have)

This is enough to put me off.

Excellent, thanks for playing, see ya.

My F250 has the same wheelbase. The turning radius from the demo rides shown, at the unveil was TIGHT, and CT made it w/o a problem.
Arrividerci!!

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Excellent, thanks for playing, see ya.

My F250 has the same wheelbase. The turning radius from the demo rides shown, at the unveil was TIGHT, and CT made it w/o a problem.
Arrividerci!!
Well it would be a miracle of physics if it has a "tight" turning radius. Didn't do well in science class? Or need to upgrade yer specs?

You think I'm throwing eggs at your baby duckling, but I suspicion that when most ppl try to pull into a parking space at Lowes they'll get a surprise.

Well it would be a miracle of physics if it has a "tight" turning radius. Didn't do well in science class? Or need to upgrade yer specs?

You think I'm throwing eggs at your baby duckling, but I suspicion that when most ppl try to pull into a parking space at Lowes they'll get a surprise.
How is it a miracle of physics? Turning radius seems like it would be largely dictated by the maximum angle of the front wheels. That’s completely independent of the car’s wheelbase. I’ve had long cars with better turning radii than smaller hatchbacks.

Reactions: Electruck
I see that no one else has noticed the enormous wheelbase of this truck. Compare it in the picture with the F150 Crew Cab.

The Crew Cab is hella long, but the Cybertruck is much longer.

Is there even a F-150 Crew Cab? Ford doesn't list one. The Cybertruck is about the same length and has about the same wheelbase as a F-150 SuperCab with a 6.5' bed. (231.7 vs 231.9)

Actually I did well enough in my science and math classes to get where I am today, thanks for the insult though.

Turning radius is about chassis geometry, wheelbase, and what engineers put in the steering box gearingattached to the steering wheels.

Now, from the demo ride videos, it appears that the CybrTrk has a good tight radius, making it's turn-a-rounds there with ease.

You're not throwing eggs at anything, just false insults from someone who doesn't know trucks, or vehicles in general I guess...apology accepted. Maintain civility.

Reactions: jas and Superendo
I have learned that the best way to park my truck is backing in, WAY easier but I do need to pull into spots at Home Depot quite often and it is a little bit more of a challenge than the model 3, haha, not so much of a challenge as a little bit more time consuming as you have to wait a while for all the shoppers running behind you while you are in the middle of straightening out in your spot, or, my personal favorite is the people so engaged in their phone that they are walking in front or behind any car, anywhere without regard for their safety and expect that everyone needs to watch out for them!

I have learned that the best way to park my truck is backing in, WAY easier but I do need to pull into spots at Home Depot quite often and it is a little bit more of a challenge than the model 3, haha, not so much of a challenge as a little bit more time consuming as you have to wait a while for all the shoppers running behind you while you are in the middle of straightening out in your spot, or, my personal favorite is the people so engaged in their phone that they are walking in front or behind any car, anywhere without regard for their safety and expect that everyone needs to watch out for them!
the wife always asks why I waste time backing in. :rolleyes:

Is there even a F-150 Crew Cab? Ford doesn't list one. The Cybertruck is about the same length and has about the same wheelbase as a F-150 SuperCab with a 6.5' bed. (231.7 vs 231.9)
Look at the Tug-o'-War picture. Compare wheelbasen. You'll see.

Obviously I don't know much about Ford's product line, a reflection of my level of interest, but I think I've gotten my point across. I haven't seen any wheelbase numbers, nor turning radius.

As said the turning radius has a lot to do with the angle the front tires can achieve.

And while yes it might have a poor turning radius compared to a 3 it would be silly to make that comparison, compare it to other trucks and for that we need published data we don't have. They can also employ some electrical wizardry and drag an inside brake or the like to give a little nudge.

A few posts up someone put up the numbers showing a .2" difference from the Supercab 6'5" bed F150......... I don't know the Ford offerings but I do know the bed on my old Sierra is just 5'8" so maybe Ford offers that extra short bed as well. My GMC is essentially a extended cab 6'5" bed chassis and when they put on a crew cab they took the extra space from the bed.
4dr. trucks are common as are the full-size SUVs based on them and while they are not as easy to park as a compact car people manage. I think you are making too much of this.
For clarity I am not a fan of the truck, think they got carried away with wanting to be different.

• Disagree
Reactions: jas and Electruck
It will be an adjustment for people who have never owned a vehicle that long, yes.

Its not just the front wheel angle that matters. Even if the front wheels could turn a full 90 degrees, the back wheels of the truck are going to be the pivot point and they are a lot further behind you. They will always cut the corner.

Once your brain grocks the implications of the length of the wheelbase, you won't have a problem. You will eventually stop trying to pull directly into tight parking spots and learn to aim your turn past the parking spot to get the rear wheels where they need to be and then back up to align the front of the vehicle and pull in.

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad
Look at the Tug-o'-War picture. Compare wheelbasen. You'll see.

Obviously I don't know much about Ford's product line, a reflection of my level of interest, but I think I've gotten my point across. I haven't seen any wheelbase numbers, nor turning radius.

Correct, if you have NOT found the CT's wheelbase #s as openly published already, you have ZERO interest level but are going to criticize it anyway.

My F250 is what Ford calls the Super Crew cab (SCREW) with a 75" box, IIRC it has the same wheelbase as the CT. No, 1 wheelbase # does NOT equal the same turn radius for all vehicles on the planet.

WATCH the video footage of the demo rides, openly available on YouTube for almost a week now, this beast turns around better than most trucks it's size. Detroit is pissing itself.

• Disagree
Reactions: rooter
How is it a miracle of physics? Turning radius seems like it would be largely dictated by the maximum angle of the front wheels. That’s completely independent of the car’s wheelbase. I’ve had long cars with better turning radii than smaller hatchbacks.
I agree I had a Silverado 2500 loaner that had a way better like night and day better turning Radius than my tiny S10