Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC for 5-Seater Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I went for a road trip last weekend and I noticed that the pillar vents for the 2nd row do not seem to blow air. The center console vents did seem to blow though.

Has anyone with the 5-seater noticed this?

Did you turn on the rear air conditioning? The center counsel vents are linked to the front while the b pillar vents are independent

I was under the impression that a lot of the extra cost for the 6/7 seat option was the rear A/C system - I think the 5 seat X is effectively like the S, with only the center console vents for the rear seats (though it's interesting that the B-Pillar vents are apparently still there?)

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Yes. I am aware that the 5-seater option has only a single HVAC system. However, I would still have expected the B-pillar vents to blow air (unless they mistakenly added B-pillars with vents on the second row in my specific car). I have seen another 5-seater with B-pillar vents so I don't think it's a mistake.

Despite my early concerns about the A\C performance in the MX for the Texas heat, (actually delayed my 6-seat build until I was convinced it can handle over 100 degrees in the sun), I am very happy with it, especially for the dogs in back.

Now looking at another possible 5-seat option, how well is that A/C performance given only designed with one system?

Has anyone had their 5-seater in the extreme heat?

Fwiw so folks aren't confused, you're referring to the vent on the A pillar between the first and second row seats I'm guessing. In the 5 seater there aren't vents in the back back like what a 6+ seater has

A pillar is between the windshield and front doors, and doesn't have a vent in the X. B pillar is between front and rear doors, and does have vents. C Pillar is behind rear doors, D pillar between rear windows and hatch. A six or seven seat X has both B and C pillar vents - I presume the 5 seat does not have the C pillar vents but I don't know for certain.

I just got my 5 seta X yesterday, and the pillar vents don't seem to be blowing much. Rear windows are fogging up. All settings are on auto. Am I doing something wrong?

Try testing it out by turning off floor ventilation and increasing fan speed. It should work. At auto, it feels like its not blowing because fan speeds may be be low and / or floor ventilation is turned on.

The 5 seater has vents on the B pillar (between front and rear doors) and do not have C pillar vents (I personally own a Model X 5 seater).
It is too bad they didn't at least offer the extra C pillar "3rd" row venting and HVAC as an option. I suspect those with pets may have paid the extra.

Jyj6P6e.jpg

I don't quite understand the question. I haven't been following the rear area discussion. Could you elaborate?
I know I'm hijacking the thread with my question, it's just that I'm curious if Tesla has resolved the issues they had with early deliveries of the 5-seat models. The early ones got delivered with missing parts in the cargo area.

I'm probably stating things you already know, but just to be complete, the cargo area can be configured with two floor levels. The upper level, which gives you a full level floor, with the 2nd row seats folded down, all the way to the back of the car. Or you can remove the two floor panels behind the 2nd row seats, which then gives you a taller cargo area. After removing those panels, you see a vertical support piece directly behind the 2nd row seats that supports the forward edge of the forward upper level floor panel (which also covers the lower portion of the back of the seats which would otherwise have been exposed with the upper level floor panels removed).

With the lower level floor exposed, you see that forward support panel and also the exposed well storage area at the back of the cargo area. It's been my contention that another panel was needed over the well storage area to make the lower floor completely level. The rear upper level floor panel doesn't also fit over the lower well area to make a flush cover for the well area.

So I'm wondering, one, did you get all the pieces for the upper floor level plus the forward support for the forward upper floor panel, and two; did you also get a third floor panel that fits neatly over the rear well area to give you a flush, lever lower floor as well.

In case I haven't explained myself well enough, here are some photos posted by @beths11 in another thread. She seems to have gotten the most complete version that I know of so far.

Here is the cargo area with the floor in the upper position:
allpanelslevel.JPG

Here is the cargo area with the rear upper floor panel removed, exposing the well storage area in the lower level:
nobackpanel.JPG

Here the forward upper floor panel is removed, exposing the forward support panel that is located directly behind the 2nd-row seats:
nopanels.JPG

Here is a photo that shows that forward support panel more clearly:
20170115_120157.jpg

Here is a photo of a car that was located in Norway that shows a third floor panel that would cover the rear well storage area. There seems to be a small step down from the rear well cover panel to the forward lower floor, but this makes that lower floor almost completely level. If you will notice, that third panel isn't wide enough to be supported by the upper floor brackets, which is why I call it a third panel from what we have already seen for the upper level floor panels. I don't believe anyone has seen that third panel in this country. Following that photo is the same car with the third panel removed to expose the well storage area:
5 seat - Norway 2.jpg

5 seat - Norway.jpg

So this is what I consider to be a complete 5-seat version that I hope to sometime have confirmed by an actual delivery: a car with the forward support, two upper level floor panels, and a lower floor panel to cover the rear well area and create a level (or almost level) lower floor.

I hope you will comment on these photos as they compare to your very recent 5-seater delivery.

I know I'm hijacking the thread with my question, it's just that I'm curious if Tesla has resolved the issues they had with early deliveries of the 5-seat models. The early ones got delivered with missing parts in the cargo area.

I'm probably stating things you already know, but just to be complete, the cargo area can be configured with two floor levels. The upper level, which gives you a full level floor, with the 2nd row seats folded down, all the way to the back of the car. Or you can remove the two floor panels behind the 2nd row seats, which then gives you a taller cargo area. After removing those panels, you see a vertical support piece directly behind the 2nd row seats that supports the forward edge of the forward upper level floor panel (which also covers the lower portion of the back of the seats which would otherwise have been exposed with the upper level floor panels removed).

With the lower level floor exposed, you see that forward support panel and also the exposed well storage area at the back of the cargo area. It's been my contention that another panel was needed over the well storage area to make the lower floor completely level. The rear upper level floor panel doesn't also fit over the lower well area to make a flush cover for the well area.

So I'm wondering, one, did you get all the pieces for the upper floor level plus the forward support for the forward upper floor panel, and two; did you also get a third floor panel that fits neatly over the rear well area to give you a flush, lever lower floor as well.

In case I haven't explained myself well enough, here are some photos posted by @beths11 in another thread. She seems to have gotten the most complete version that I know of so far.

Here is the cargo area with the floor in the upper position:
View attachment 216839

Here is the cargo area with the rear upper floor panel removed, exposing the well storage area in the lower level:
View attachment 216840

Here the forward upper floor panel is removed, exposing the forward support panel that is located directly behind the 2nd-row seats:
View attachment 216842

Here is a photo that shows that forward support panel more clearly:
View attachment 216843

Here is a photo of a car that was located in Norway that shows a third floor panel that would cover the rear well storage area. There seems to be a small step down from the rear well cover panel to the forward lower floor, but this makes that lower floor almost completely level. If you will notice, that third panel isn't wide enough to be supported by the upper floor brackets, which is why I call it a third panel from what we have already seen for the upper level floor panels. I don't believe anyone has seen that third panel in this country. Following that photo is the same car with the third panel removed to expose the well storage area:
View attachment 216844
View attachment 216845

So this is what I consider to be a complete 5-seat version that I hope to sometime have confirmed by an actual delivery: a car with the forward support, two upper level floor panels, and a lower floor panel to cover the rear well area and create a level (or almost level) lower floor.

I hope you will comment on these photos as they compare to your very recent 5-seater delivery.

On all model Xs, the cover for the East cargo well can be positioned either on the ledges which matches your upper position or directly over the well.

You're more looking at an extra cover in the photos, just the original cover that's in all cars shifted down.

On all model Xs, the cover for the East cargo well can be positioned either on the ledges which matches your upper position or directly over the well.

You're more looking at an extra cover in the photos, just the original cover that's in all cars shifted down.
Others have commented about this. If you place the rear upper cover in the lower position, it end up being higher than the forward lower floor level. High enough that there is a one or two inch gap where things can roll down into the well storage area from the forward lower floor.