Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC for 5-Seater Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as dogs go, my Golden has never seemed happier and more content, than he is riding in the back of my 5 seater. He seems more relaxed with the electric drive than in my Jeep.

It is 100º today in Canyon Lake, and he did great on our ride into San Diego.

My dog rides comfortably in the back of a 5 seater as well. I tilt the 2nd row vents upward and leave only 2 of the front row vents open. When I open the liftgate, I can feel the airflow pass above the 2nd row seatbacks. I plan to keep an eye on things, but for now she loves her dog cave.

Before the warmer weather set in, I was having trouble with the entire A/C system, whch was quickly resolved by the SvC. Aside from leaked refirgerant, the 'pinched o rings' were restricting airflow. Especially if carrying pets in the cargo area, its worth having them checked out.

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1338a.jpg

Well, I am not an expert, but I have done considerable research and testing, and have created 2 threads covering this topic.

There is a single A/C compressor for all Model X seating configs, but in the 5-seater there is a single fan control, and with the fan on high and all vents open, the airflow from the b-pillars are 50% of the airflow in the 6 & 7 seater, the only way to improve this is to close the vents in the front dash.

Pretty poor design flaw that was either an oversight by Tesla, or just a sacrifice of comfort for 5-seat owners.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Considering the above work was done for a five-seater - right? - it must refer to the front A/C in particular (and likely the one and only A/C in general)?

I think the best working theory is that the rear HVAC assembly on the Model X six and seven seaters is a fan with temperature control only. The hot and cold air itself come from the front.

Considering the above work was done for a five-seater - right? - it must refer to the front A/C in particular (and likely the one and only A/C in general)?

I think the best working theory is that the rear HVAC assembly on the Model X six and seven seaters is a fan with temperature control only. The hot and cold air itself come from the front.
Exactly, but the question was why the 'rear' HVAC component was included in the high voltage diagram in the first responder documentation. It all could be nothing relevant to why the cooling is worse in the five seater, though, as the extra fan takes care of that for the 6 and 7 seat model. Perhap the HV mention is just a mistake?

Exactly, but the question was why the 'rear' HVAC component was included in the high voltage diagram in the first responder documentation. It all could be nothing relevant to why the cooling is worse in the five seater, though, as the extra fan takes care of that for the 6 and 7 seat model. Perhap the HV mention is just a mistake?

I agree the high-voltage cabling raises questions, but I've personally come to the conclusion that either the fan just actually needs beefier power or possibly that the rear HVAC assembly has additional heating power for winters (auxiliary heaters are nothing new in cars, of course). But since there is no evidence of a compressor or refridgeration lines running to rear, I think the rear HVAC assembly probably does not have any additional cooling power, beyond the ability to add to the airflow (and regulate rear temprature split separate from the front).

Guesswork, of course, but based on what we know this is how I feel.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I agree the high-voltage cabling raises questions, but I've personally come to the conclusion that either the fan just actually needs beefier power or possibly that the rear HVAC assembly has additional heating power for winters (auxiliary heaters are nothing new in cars, of course). But since there is no evidence of a compressor or refridgeration lines running to rear, I think the rear HVAC assembly probably does not have any additional cooling power, beyond the ability to add to the airflow (and regulate rear temprature split separate from the front).

Guesswork, of course, but based on what we know this is how I feel.

I think you are exactly correct, all the talk of the HV connections has been a "red herring" for speculation that there was an additional cooling element in the 6/7 that was removed for the 5 seater. Some people just can't go with the facts, and are compelled to create myths.

Once again, Tesla techs confirmed the single A/C compressor is the same for all seating configs, and the only difference between the 6/7 and the 5 is the lack of a rear fan / controller and the C-pillar vents, and a revision of the ducting such that all vents are driven by the single fan / controller.

The resultant reduction in 2nd row air flow was considered to be acceptable given the supply of the center units (under the armrests) and the B-pillars, despite the 50% reduction in airflow from the B-pillars with all vents open.

Those that live in very hot and humid summer climates should be wise to test drive a 5-seater in the summer heat to make sure the A/C is adequate for them. Unfortunately many do not consider this element when initially evaluating the purchase of a new Model X 5-seat, or ordered one upon availability in the fall and no demo was available.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Wow, so will the 2nd row be a bench that moves forward for 3rd row access, with a 60/40 split?

Wonder why it took them so long to finally get there?

Given that option, I may have actually gone for the 7-seater, but there you go...

Wow, so will the 2nd row be a bench that moves forward for 3rd row access, with a 60/40 split?

Wonder why it took them so long to finally get there?

Given that option, I may have actually gone for the 7-seater, but there you go...
Well, bench like 5-seater, yes. How it moves for third row access, I don't think anyone knows until we see one. But if you need the '6-7 HVAC', it does sound like the best answer. Hope they get one in a showroom soon for looking over!

Just took delivery of my 100D 5-seater on Friday (built 6/13). I was really nervous about this AC issue as I had only test driven a 6-seater back in April.

It was 93 today with almost 60% humidity. Real feel over 100deg. I sat in the back while my wife was in the mall for 40min. There is not a ton of airflow coming from the door vents...but between the center console vents and the two floor vents under the front seats, I didn't find it to be lacking in airflow at all.

I'd say it was far cooler than our Lexus RX in similar temps.

I'm scheduled to get Photosync on all the windows and windshield next week, but pleasantly surprised so far!