Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
American cars are designed in Detroit so it's no surprise that they're often built with a smooth ride versus Japanese brands. Detroit has some of the worst roads around due to all of the snow they get...

I hope Tesla strongly considers the needs of their car in colder climates. While they're made in a place where it's not as big of a deal, many people here live in colder areas. That said, I'm sure they are aware of it even if it's just due to battery consumption.

The EPA should almost give range numbers for different areas to be more usable. Someone like me has to plan on a range loss in the winter, though with a range upgrade for 300+ miles, I'm not too concerned about the weather impact.
You must not have driven on the great California interstate system lately. It may not get freeze/thaw that Detroit sees, but it has some of the roughest stretches I've driven on (and have traveled for work to most every part of the US)

I'm hopping they incorporate electric defrost in the Windshield like Mini Cooper does. One of the best features in the Mini that I missed

The e-Golf has this as well, and I think it's a very nice touch for an EV. When I had a first-generation Volt, I found myself constantly toggling into the defrost mode anytime we had a cold rain, and it would drain the battery like nothing else. Sometimes when the windshield was too fogged up to drive away at all, I had to sit in my driveway, running the defrost at full blast for several minutes as the number of estimated electric miles ticked away... no fun!

With my e-Golf, I just flip on the heated windshield (assuming it hasn't already turned on automatically) and it clears it up in under a minute with minimal loss of range. The only drawback I find is that, when you're driving at light, headlights from the oncoming lane sometimes illuminate the multitude of thin, vertical zig-zag wires that compose the windshield heating element, and that can be distracting until you get used to it.

The e-Golf has this as well, and I think it's a very nice touch for an EV. When I had a first-generation Volt, I found myself constantly toggling into the defrost mode anytime we had a cold rain, and it would drain the battery like nothing else. Sometimes when the windshield was too fogged up to drive away at all, I had to sit in my driveway, running the defrost at full blast for several minutes as the number of estimated electric miles ticked away... no fun!

With my e-Golf, I just flip on the heated windshield (assuming it hasn't already turned on automatically) and it clears it up in under a minute with minimal loss of range. The only drawback I find is that, when you're driving at light, headlights from the oncoming lane sometimes illuminate the multitude of thin, vertical zig-zag wires that compose the windshield heating element, and that can be distracting until you get used to it.
The Mini seemed even faster, it vanished before your eyes. The wire filiments never really bothered me. They were so suddel and only visible when your eyes focus one the glass of the windshield instead of through the windshield. That was with my 28yr old eyes though. Probably no more then three times over a couple years did they really catch my attention with just the right light angle, usually with an unwelcome high beam.

They were so suddel...
Took me a while to figure that one out.
68210299.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: wilhelmspencer
No, what he said was someone who is 6'5" would have leg room.
You still need to have head room and for it to be comfortable on the side (if you also have a wide body).

Be careful extrapolating from an engineer's precise answer. ;)

I am six feet four inches tall. I will be quite surprised if Model 3 has less legroom than my Sonata hybrid sedan, which I found to have more legroom than an equivalent Ford Fusion hybrid. As for headroom, both cars have a similar roof shape and not much unlike Model 3, and I had no concerns about headroom in either car.

Last Saturday I sat in the middle row of a Model X at the Dallas Tesla store. Was surprised to see it seemed a bit tight on headroom, but perhaps the seat was elevated above where it should be for me. Driver's seat of Model X was perfection. Just it and rest of car out of my budget. :D

Hopefully the heating/cooling is really good. With an all glass roof, the summers could be brutal! Unless the glass has some sort of magical tint or is crazy insulating...

That is a concern as mine as well, being I'm in Texas. One thing I thought of is that Model 3 should have a much lower heat profile as far as heat generated for operating the car over a comparable ICE car. Right there that stands to reason that the car's HVAC has less heat to reject in summer being there's no ICE. I would not want that advantage offset by a skull cooking sheet of glass over my head. I do hope Tesla does retain what it learned from Model X concerning tint levels for the overhead glass, especially if they do not plan to offer solid movable shades (which I think during one of the reveal video test drives the Tesla staffer said movable shades should be available).