Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.5 - maybe build date heuristic is wrong...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is a September 2017 build, end of September delivery, which from the TMC threads I read on HW2.5 should have meant my car has the updated version. However, poking around on TeslaFi and it appears my car is HW2. This was a bit of a shock.

Are the last 6 of VINs sequential? If so, it appears Tesla is going back and forth between HW2 and HW2.5 hardware. Maybe there was HW2 hardware still in the supply chain and as it arrives it gets feathered in? (e.g., all 218XXX builds seem to have HW2.)

Screenshot 2017-10-25 16.29.04.png

Reactions: spottyq
My car is a September 2017 build, end of September delivery, which from the TMC threads I read on HW2.5 should have meant my car has the updated version. However, poking around on TeslaFi and it appears my car is HW2. This was a bit of a shock.

Are the last 6 of VINs sequential? If so, it appears Tesla is going back and forth between HW2 and HW2.5 hardware. Maybe there was HW2 hardware still in the supply chain and as it arrives it gets feathered in? (e.g., all 218XXX builds seem to have HW2.)

View attachment 256145
Do you have your options codes from the My Tesla page? APH3 is AP2.5 hardware. You really should be 2.5, if it was built in September.... Anything after August 21 should be.

From the API, which seems to confirm HW2.

=> {"api_version"=>3, "autopark_state"=>"unavailable", "autopark_state_v2"=>"ready", "autopark_style"=>"dead_man", "calendar_supported"=>true, "car_type"=>"models2", "car_version"=>"2017.42.1 94435ee", "center_display_state"=>0, "dark_rims"=>false, "df"=>0, "dr"=>0, "exterior_color"=>"Pearl", "ft"=>0, "has_spoiler"=>false, "homelink_nearby"=>false, "last_autopark_error"=>"no_error", "locked"=>true, "notifications_supported"=>true, "odometer"=>511.245237, "parsed_calendar_supported"=>true, "perf_config"=>"P1", "pf"=>0, "pr"=>0, "rear_seat_heaters"=>1, "rear_seat_type"=>0, "remote_start"=>false, "remote_start_supported"=>true, "rhd"=>false, "roof_color"=>"Glass", "rt"=>0, "seat_type"=>2, "spoiler_type"=>"None", "sun_roof_installed"=>0, "sun_roof_percent_open"=>0, "sun_roof_state"=>"unknown", "third_row_seats"=>"None", "timestamp"=>1508959727178, "valet_mode"=>false, "valet_pin_needed"=>true, "vehicle_name"=>"Unknown", "wheel_type"=>"Super21Gray"}

TeslaFI pulls your option codes from the API, and if it finds an APH3 code, it classifies you as AP2.5, if it's APH2, you get classified as AP2.0. What option codes show up at the bottom of your TeslaFi page?

You could check a couple of other things:
- On your MyTesla page, right click the jpeg image of your car and copy the URL. Does it say APH2 or APH3?
- Call your local SC and have them check your HW version. As stated before, APH3 is the 2.5 build
- If you're feeling handy, you can look for the e-fuse in the frunk, or the new radar in the front fascia. This however requires a lot of screw driving action

My car was built mid September but based on the options on my tesla our through a decoder it says APH2 :(

Is APH3 limited to people who ordered FSD? That’s the only thing I didn’t order.

APH3 option codes started to show up on vehicle specs around August 26. I had ordered my S on Aug 6th and I saved all the option codes. Sometime around Aug 26th, I noticed on my vehicle specs that APH2 changed to APH3, around the time of AP2.5 HW discussions. Since that time until I took delivery, there were many discussions over this option code and quite a few folks who were in the same timeframe never had their option codes changed to APH3. Since no one really knows for sure what APH3 represents in terms of different hardware, it's hard to verify what you really have. All you can go by is the option code that the Tesla API reports...

And no, I don't think it has anything to do with whether you ordered EAP or FSD, as I have APH3 and didn't order either.

No listen, APH3 is Tesla option code listed under category Autopilot Hardware. In the old days, you had DA01 (or was it DA02, dont remember). Then with the announcement of HW2 they added APH2. Around august this year, they added APH3. It coincides with the release of new wiring diagrams that specifically calls the new ECU "HW 2.5", and with that press statement tesla spokesguy did about it being only "redundancy" measures.

You dont need to open anything now that you know your vehicle's option code,

Reactions: boaterva
You dont need to open anything now that you know your vehicle's option code,
I know what the option code may tell you, but I guess what I was really trying to account for was those folks (like @ILLCOMM) who had ordered and were built around the same time or even later but seem to get APH2 instead of APH3 options. Could Tesla really have installed two types of AP hw in the same assembly line at the same time? How good is their build process system? And in a similar incident, how did they end up delivering so many Ss and Xs without the adaptive headlights when the option and build codes should have called for it?

Maybe I'm at the point where I may not trust Tesla when they tell me I have a option or feature without verifying it.... :confused:

I know what the option code may tell you, but I guess what I was really trying to account for was those folks (like @ILLCOMM) who had ordered and were built around the same time or even later but seem to get APH2 instead of APH3 options. Could Tesla really have installed two types of AP hw in the same assembly line at the same time? How good is their build process system? And in a similar incident, how did they end up delivering so many Ss and Xs without the adaptive headlights when the option and build codes should have called for it?

Maybe I'm at the point where I may not trust Tesla when they tell me I have a option or feature without verifying it.... :confused:

Yes, this is my point. I think there was a time where HW2 and HW2.5 was getting installed. I have HW2 is seems. My timeline:

8/17 Order placed.
8/21 Order locked.
?/?? Entered production. (Can't find record of this, am looking)
9/25 Delivery.