Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2 software tomorrow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best of luck to the Lucky 1,000, I think...

C1CWy4lXcAALscp.jpg

We recognize revenue on all products shipped regardless of when the client decides to actually install or implement. Because we require maintenance/support to be coupled with any hardware or software for the first year, the clock for that portion also starts when we ship product. We have proof or evidence that we delivered within the parameters but we can't control what our clients do on their end.
We have CPAs here on TMC

Non-EAP cars (aka HW1) already have functioning Autopilot software. This update is for 1,000 EAP (HW2) cars only.

I believe you are mistaken.

In the recent past, the information provided was that there were a total of about 1000 EAP cars. Many of those are sure to be AP1 cars and cars without any AP hardware at all. So unless Tesla has added a whole bunch of cars into the EAP, with 1000 of them being AP2 cars, the firmware push Musk tweeted about today is going to at least some regular, non-EAP cars.

I guess my use case example of 1000 cars was pretty spot on. Elon just tweeted that AP2 will be uploaded to 1000 cars this evening. They must have needed an additional $5M in revenue for Q4. ;)

But there is a but.

"According to Tesla, the update includes the Autopilot’s Traffic Aware Cruise Control feature, Forward Collision Warning, and Autosteer, which is the flagship feature of the Autopilot, but it will only be enabled at “low-speed”, someone familiar with the update told Electrek."

So they're not even reaching feature parity with AP let alone what's supposed to be added with eAP.

So do they still get the money for TACC only with low speed lane-steering?

Does anybody notice a new fan sound coming from above the glove compartment? I've had my car a little over three weeks and 2000 miles but never heard this fan noise until tonight. We sat in the car about 15 minutes with the climate control off and could hear the fan noise starting and eventually stopping if we didn't drive the car. I checked with two other owners. One had AP1 and never heard the fan noise. Another took delivery 2 weeks ago of an AP2 car but doesn't have the noise.

Could it be the new supercomputer coming to life?

Does anybody notice a new fan sound coming from above the glove compartment? I've had my car a little over three weeks and 2000 miles but never heard this fan noise until tonight. We sat in the car about 15 minutes with the climate control off and could hear the fan noise starting and eventually stopping if we didn't drive the car. I checked with two other owners. One had AP1 and never heard the fan noise. Another took delivery 2 weeks ago of an AP2 car but doesn't have the noise.

Also hearing this same noise but I assumed it was my battery charging. Car is currently charging in the driveway, and I was sitting in the car for about 5 minutes trying to connect to my weak-signaled wifi network. Heard this on and off "fan noise" that would come and go every 30 sec or so

I took delivery yesterday and I can hear it plainly. Based on its (assumed) location under the upper dash above the glove box it will get very hot just with the sun in a closed up car here in the summer. Those fans will be in "turbo" mode.

I may have to turn on Cabin Overheat Protection to protect the new "supercomputer"...

Mike