Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2 software tomorrow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also hearing this same noise but I assumed it was my battery charging. Car is currently charging in the driveway, and I was sitting in the car for about 5 minutes trying to connect to my weak-signaled wifi network. Heard this on and off "fan noise" that would come and go every 30 sec or so
My car isn't plugged in, so definitely not the charger. Have you noticed the noise before tonight?

I'm also having Wi-Fi issues. I have two routers and it only stays connected to then for a couple seconds before reverting to LTE. I created a Wi-Fi hotspot with a phone and it stays connected without any problems.

I took delivery yesterday and I can hear it plainly. Based on its (assumed) location under the upper dash above the glove box it will get very hot just with the sun in a closed up car here in the summer. Those fans will be in "turbo" mode.

I may have to turn on Cabin Overheat Protection to protect the new "supercomputer"...

Mike

My car has been in the garage about 5 hours and I don't think it got much above freezing today. I didn't notice the fan until this evening. Could be nothing...but weird coincidence that I first notice it tonight!

Reactions: wesley888
Mine does it from time to time, and always has. I've always assumed it knows when it needs to take care of itself and I don't give it another thought. It occurs in cooler weather, but my cool is not nearly as cool as your cool. Cool is relative. :cool:

My car has been in the garage about 5 hours and I don't think it got much above freezing today. I didn't notice the fan until this evening. Could be nothing...but weird coincidence that I first notice it tonight!

I heard it yesterday and today - the only two days I've had the car. I hope it's at least gathering up data in there and sending it back to the mothership for something useful!

Mike

NVIDIA Supercomputer

Not seeing a fan included in the design. Perhaps it's the sound of the pump in the cooling system. Noticed the same sound in our Model S delivered on Thursday. Service center in San Francisco indicated yesterday that the noise was noticed in other HW2 cars, i.e., not an issue. Technician ruled out the fan on the monitor (if it actually has one).

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Does anybody notice a new fan sound coming from above the glove compartment? I've had my car a little over three weeks and 2000 miles but never heard this fan noise until tonight. We sat in the car about 15 minutes with the climate control off and could hear the fan noise starting and eventually stopping if we didn't drive the car. I checked with two other owners. One had AP1 and never heard the fan noise. Another took delivery 2 weeks ago of an AP2 car but doesn't have the noise.

I traded in a 2015 S85D for a 2016 S90D AP2 car. The S85D never had any fans running except during charging. When I get in the S90D with the air/heating system turned off, I hear a fan running. This happens when the car is not charging. I mentioned it to the SC advisor two days ago and he has not heard anyone complain about the fan noise.

I got my new car on Tuesday, December 27th, and I am EXTREMELY unhappy with the car. Tesla installed Goodyear Eagle Touring on the car instead of the Michelin Primacy. There is a lot more tire noise when driving the car, the tires are defective causing a vibration felt in the seat and the steering wheel, and the car is about 10 times noisier than my S85D. Besides the tire noise, there is an unacceptable amount of wind noise that my S85D never had.

I took the car into the SC on Friday and had a technician ride in the car with me and he felt the tire vibration and he said that he would talk to the service manager about replacing the tires. He said that he may not be able to resolve the wind noise which will make be very angry. The S85D was the quietest car that I have every owned and the new S90D is one of the noisiest cars that I have ever owned. Hopefully the other Model S owners will not have the wind noise that I am having.

As far as eap fsd and ap2 revenue recognition go, couldn't Tesla at least recognize a certain amount of the revenue because they did indeed deliver the hardware? I.e. Eap is 60% hardware 40% software.

One of the major features of ap in general is that it is a neural net, constantly logging data and improving. This has been delivered as well

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Ahisaac and MP3Mike
As far as eap fsd and ap2 revenue recognition go, couldn't Tesla at least recognize a certain amount of the revenue because they did indeed deliver the hardware? I.e. Eap is 60% hardware 40% software.

Where are you coming up with the 60/40 split? I suspect it would be more like 20% hardware and 80% software.

But to answer you question: No they can't recognize it early since the EAP charge isn't for the hardware, it is 100% for the software. (Every single car, even ones that don't pay for EAP, get the same hardware, and the hardware is utilized via software for safety features.)

For those who purchased both EAP and FSDC for $10K: Same scenario as above but let's say EAP was enabled today, TSLA would only be able to recognize the revue on the EAP component and not FSDC until that functionality has been delivered. The challenge for TSLA and why I personally only opted for EAP is that FSDC is a component they can't control and is out of their hands due to if/when regulatory approval is granted. I may no longer own the car when FSDC becomes available so I didn't want to take a gamble on potentially throwing that money away.
I think that is incorrect. What's under regulatory is when you can use it without a driver. Tesla will release it the same way that they released AP.

IMG_0133.jpg
I believe you are mistaken.

In the recent past, the information provided was that there were a total of about 1000 EAP cars. Many of those are sure to be AP1 cars and cars without any AP hardware at all. So unless Tesla has added a whole bunch of cars into the EAP, with 1000 of them being AP2 cars, the firmware push Musk tweeted about today is going to at least some regular, non-EAP cars.
Looks like the first 1000 are hardware 2 cars, hw1 cars get 8.1 in January.

But to answer you question: No they can't recognize it early since the EAP charge isn't for the hardware, it is 100% for the software. (Every single car, even ones that don't pay for EAP, get the same hardware, and the hardware is utilized via software for safety features.)

Even more:

1) They knowingly only delivered to 1,000 cars out of about 20,000 cars with AP2 HW. You have to treat each customer as their own liability on the books. If you take 20,000 back orders for a product, you don't get to recognize the revenue the day you deliver the first one. If they had made it available to all 20,000, then they could recognize it for everyone (even if they didn't download) but they flat out didn't.

2) They delivered a small part of the product they described. No full auto steer, no summon, no lane change, no highway exit. What they have is maybe 25% of EAP. So they can't recognize the fulfillment of the full liability.

By this math, they delivered 25% to 1,000 out of 20,000 cars. This means they can recognize about $1M in revenue ($5,000 * 25% * 1000).